Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Faulty WiFi extender kit

ANSWERED
27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Team Player

We have recently had broadband issues, and an engineer came to deal with these, including fitting a brand new faceplate, and providing us with a WiFi extender kit.

The WiFi extender kit seems to work very intermittently. We have an existing network of the latest talk talk /d link Powerline adapters that work fine, but when the extender kit is active, it seems to cause WiFi dropouts frequently along with interfering with the other power lines,

i have followed all the instructions in the online guides faithfully, and in an effort to try to get things to work, have moved the location of the first Powerline, and also factory reset everything (twice ) including the extender. However, the problem remains when the extender is on, we get dropouts. If it is off, we don’t. It also seems to start very slowly, and sometimes won’t get off the red light for power, and it also seems to affect transfer speeds to the other Powerline adapters. I suspect the extender kit is faulty - would it be possible to get a replacement please?

many thanks 

Highlighted
Community Star

The problem with extenders is unless the state of your local WiFi network is first checked out, these can make matters worse, as they present another wifi network in an often overcrowded 2.4GHz band.

I can help a lot with checking all of this out for you & making configuration changes if required. If you want this help, just let me know.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Keith

thanks, I’d hope that the engineer might have sorted that out when he installed the extender but might not be so, so yes please - let me know what you  from me!

Highlighted
Community Star

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Whilst this attached guide also deals with how to make changes to any TalkTalk router including the new WiFi Hub, it does not specifically cover extenders. So whilst you are working through the "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first" section of my guide initially, if you tell me the make/model of the extender you have, I will try & download a manual for it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Team Player

Many thanks again Keith, I will work through the steps.

the WiFi extender is the one in this kit (but black and talk talk branded) - the Powerline adapters are also all the same as that in the kit here:

https://eu.dlink.com/me/sr/-/media/consumer_products/dhp/dhp-w611av/manual/dhpw611ava1manualv100eu.p...

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Keith

do you know of an appropriate app for the WiFi diagnostics on IOS by any chance?

Highlighted
Community Star

The only one I know of is for MacOS which I mention in my guide:-

https://www.netspotapp.com/

Not using any Apple products myself, I cannot recommend any. You could try looking through the normal software library for Apple compatible products.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @tammy_f 

If an engineer just gave you these, then you were very lucky as they currently retail for £85:-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Wi-Fi-Extender-Kit-guide/ta-p/2205415

You will need to access the web UI to change channels on this, there are also a couple of enhancements to this UI that I have requested. This is waiting for new firmware though currently. I have attached a guide on this interface, but it is a bit of work in progress until the new firmware is released.

Anyway once I have seen a WiFi analyser screenshots for your network, I will be in a position to tell you if you need to do anything with these extenders or not.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @tammy_f 

Whilst I don't know the differences between MacOS & iOS the link to Netspot says it is for iOS.  However, please read my notes carefully on using it in my guide, as it is easy not to include all other networks in the display, which you need to do.

Clicking on the download link on their website does say that their free version is for MacOS, Android & Windows, so you may be out of luck.

You could also Google this, but the big advantage of Netspot is that there is a free version:-

https://techigem.com/wifi-analyser-apps/

Sorry I can't be more helpful with this.

Keith

Highlighted
Team Player

Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 15.29.01.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-24 at 15.30.53.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-24 at 15.30.02.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-24 at 15.27.41.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-24 at 15.29.01.pngHi Keith

thanks, in fact I downloaded it on the iMac, as you say it is only for Mac, not iPhone/ipad. Anyway, yes we did have to pay for the extender kit! I've done the screenshots below without the extender on, I will redo them with it on shortly.. our network is the talk talk one. Thanks again!

Highlighted
Team Player

the internet basically doesn't work when the extender is on so it will take a bit of fiddling...

Highlighted
Community Star

I will have a look this evening.

Keith

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi @KeithFrench screenshots without the wifi extender are above. Forgot to say, the router is a new (replacement) Huawei HG633. In the networks, ours are the talk talk ones, and out of these, Huawei is off the router, dLink is from the wifi extender.

I've attached screenshots with the wifi extender on in this post. thanks again!Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 16.04.59.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-24 at 16.03.01.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-24 at 16.02.40.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-24 at 16.04.20.png

Community Star
Solution

This is not easy as your screenshots are quite small, Ok I save them & enlarge them on my PC, but that puts the text out of focus. 

From what I can make out the router is on channel 11 & uses 40MHz channel bandwidth & the extender is on 13, also with 40MHz channel bandwidth. They are interfering with each other big time, I see this so often where extenders are in the network.

On the router, you can leave that on channel 1, but set the bandwidth to 20MHz only. 

On the extender, via the web UI, move that to channel 1. You also need to set the channel bandwidth to 20MHz only, but here is a firmware bug. You can't currently do that, so it will be as good as it is.

If needed get me a fresh set of screenshots, but please make them bigger next time.

Keith

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi @KeithFrench 

thanks so much, really appreciated and all working now. Apologies for the screenshots, they were done on a big screen iMac and taken quite large so it may be the talk talk uploaded? Anyway, I can upload new ones if useful. The neighbours appear to be using channels 1 and to some extent 6 - so is it better to keep my router and extender on 11?

many thanks again.

Highlighted
Community Star

No, definitely not. leaving them on the same channel as each other is a very bad idea.

Keith

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi @KeithFrench while this definitely helped, I am convinced the WiFi extender itself is faulty, this afternoon despite switching it on and off five times, it won’t boot up at all (doesn’t get past the red power light) - do you know how best I can ask for a replacement?

many thanks

Highlighted
Community Star

Ah well, that is a bit different. No problems I'll ask the OCEs to replace it for you in a moment. They won't pick it up now until Monday.

Keith

Highlighted
Team Player

Bless you, really appreciate  it and have a lovely weekend!

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi tammy_f

Apologies for the delay.

I can send a replacement and a returns bag, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie