Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Boost Speed NO Better than Normal Speed

20 REPLIES 20
jimpy
Conversation Starter

I have been on Fibre Boost Since August 8 2019 and my speed has not changed at all, i have spent hours on the phone to talktalk and online chatting and still got no answers , I have tried leaving the router switched off  for 30 mins or more, moving it to a different phone socket (Main socket is latest BT Master Socket 5C) and still get the same results, The two house either side (All Detached) one on Sky get 60+ other BT 50+ so Talktalk is realy just a laugh with there super Router and high speed.

I am using Talktalk Wi-Fi Hub have tried a Hg-635 (and a BT one) and get simular results getting on average with all the routers  32mb, down, that speed is with Desktop computer wired by Ethernet Cable (Aprox 1 meter long) also with Ipad wireless in front of router both give about same speed, so realy can safely say its not the router thats at fault.

Can anyone help before i ditch everything and move my business, the online test shows the cabinet within 500 mts of the house and i should be able to achive between 67 - 47 Down and 15- 9.7 Up.

Waiting for customer services to ring me to try and sort it out 

Thank You ! Posted By Jimpy From Staffordshire
Divsec
Community Star

Hi jimpy your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during the day.

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Community Team

Hi jimpy

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line test has not detected any faults but I can see re connections on the line and this can affect the sync speed.

Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket for 48hrs without rebooting the router? We can then check to see if DLM makes any changes to the speed in this set up.

Thanks

Debbie

jimpy
Conversation Starter

Hi   ONC-Debbie.

Many thanks for your help.

Yes was trying different connections and router yesterday, so no problem leaving router on for 48 hours as normally it’s not turned off.

i assume you mean leave it connected as under normal operating conditions, by test socket do you mean main incoming phone socket ?

jimpy
Conversation Starter
Hi, OCE-Debbie
My master (phone) socket is the latest type (Openreach) Master Socket 5C. Mk 4 installed some months ago to try and stabilise my connection which at that time was varying quite a lot (That was when I was on 38 mb fibre) it seemed to help but I did get talktalk involved and my connection then did seem to settle down so maybe what talktalk did or bit of both ??
jimpy
Conversation Starter

Hi,

I have run speed tests plugging the router into the main incoming socket, A wired extension socket (installed months ago) and the test socket and the results are very much the same at all points also tried the tests using my talktalk wi fi hub and a  super router 653 again giving similar results, so again I am coming to the conclusion that the problem is external to my property, nothing to do with the Routers or wiring. 

After reading a lot of posts in the talktalk community it does seem that talktalk DO have a Big Problem regarding their broadband speeds and should get it sorted sooner rather than later, Talktalk! you Do have a lot of loyal customers and should do more to help them (ME, A customer for around 25 years starting with dial up)

As for the suggestion that I leave the router plugged into the test socket for 48 hours or more that means my landline phone will not be working, are talktalk willing to compensate me for being without a phone something I am paying for??

The next point I was told a senior complaints manager would ring me within 48 hours I did not believe this statement at the time (previous experience) and sure enough Still Waiting!!

So come on talktalk let’s get the problem sorted out ! A check to see if Boost has been activated on my account would be a good starting point. 

Sorry to go on a bit but I am getting more than a little bit frustrated !!!

jimpy
Conversation Starter
Should read HG 635 not 653
Community Team

Hi jimpy,

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you just have the router and one telephone connected to your telephone socket(s)?

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line?

Chris

jimpy
Conversation Starter

Hi OCE_Chris

I have the "Openreach Master Socket 5C Mk4 " as my incoming socket, i have set of 4 BT wireless phones Master Phone and Answer Machine (One Unit) plugged into an extension socket The Router (Talktalk Wi-Fi Hub)  plugged into main incoming socket (5C Mk has filters built into it) 

I have NO noise on phone line either making or recieving calls and my router speed is stable although slow for boost speed would expect 45 down before staberlisation not staying the same at 32, this being since August 8 when i was put onto Fibre Boost ? 

Could i ask the question again, and could you please check for me  " HAS MY ACCOUNT BEEN PUT ONTO FIBRE BOOST ??" as the readings i am getting are exactly the same as before just done a test and getting 29 down little slow but could be time of day ! (ie Before and after August 8 when i was told the change over was !!)

Just to add another line STILL WAITING FOR COMPLAINTS MANAGER TO RING ME  4 DAYS AND COUNTING

Community Team

Hi jimpy,

Just to confirm, yes the speed boost is enabled. The speed boost just removes the 40Mbps cap so if your sync speed isn't reaching 40Mbps before the boost is applied then unfortunately it's unlikely to improve your speed

Are you able to test with your router connected to the test socket for 48 hours (you can connect you telephone to the test socket too)?

You are usually contacted by the complaint manager within 5 working days 

Chris

jimpy
Conversation Starter

Thank you for confirming that I have got Boost connected BUT are you saying I may NOT see a increase in speed even though I paying for speed Boost on my account ?

Thought speed Boost gave speed  of 67 Mbs?

with a little bit of moving phone and finding and using a filter on my incoming socket I can connect both within the next 1.5 hours and leave for next 48 hours.

Dont understand how using test socket is different than using connection on front plate.

jimpy
Conversation Starter

Hi OCE_Chris,

OK Router (Wi-Fi Hub) connected to test socket using filter and phone connected to same filter, done speed check wirelessly using I pad 90 centimetres from front of router getting speed of average 6 tests 28 Mbs

Community Team

Hi jimpy,

I'm just explaining how the boost works, your speed should be higher, the fact that it isn't indicates that there's an issue somewhere

Thanks for connecting to the test socket.

Connecting to the test socket helps eliminate any potential sources of interference such as faulty faceplate or faulty extension socket/wiring

Thanks

Chris

jimpy
Conversation Starter
Thanks Chris for that explanation on the test socket, everything seems to be working ok phone and router (speed is the same)
Community Team

Hi jimpy,

Ok thanks. I've passed this over to our Network Team now and I'll let you know as soon as I receive an update back.

Thanks

jimpy
Conversation Starter

Hi,

Received phone call from Talktalk today (Thursday 29) got all the usual questions and how sorry everybody is ( does not help my lack of speed) that I have a problem.

After he carried out some tests,I also did one and got 27.7 Mbs (this is slightly slower than what I have being getting when plugged into faceplate) in front of the router which is plugged into test socket, he decided I needed an Engineer as there could be a problem in the exchange this some 20 days after going live on Boost, the Engineer will need at least 72 hours so Talktalk have agreed to phone me back next Tuesday with the results and what they are going to do about solving my Boost Speed problem.

Beginning to see why modern technology costs so much money.

Community Team

Hi jimpy,

Thanks for the update, yes I can see that it's been logged over to Openreach for further investigation 

Chris

jimpy
Conversation Starter

Hi,

An Engineer (Openreach) arived this morning around 10:00 Hrs (Was not expecting him but many thanks to Talktalk for speedy result in getting the Engineer)  he ran some test's inside the house from the Test socket, then did a reset and got a speed of  45.3 this from 25.9 (Have being getting 30-32) he seemed a little disapointed as he was hoping for more like 55-58 he asured me it was a outside problem and would go to the cabinet (Which is only some 500 meters away thats why he hoped for better speed) and see what results he was getting there, and check for problems.

This is a great improvment from the speed i was getting but but not completly happy as it is still less than 70% of Talktalk's max speed they give in their advert for Fibre Boost !  

Got a e-mail off Talktalk at 11:08 Hrs saying the job had been completed, but did not see the Engineer again as I had to go out. 

Will give the Router few day s to sort it's self out and hope the speed increases to some ware to around 55, at the moment it seem's to be steady at 45 - 45.7

Community Team

Hi

Glad the engineer may have identified a possible issue on the line.

Leave the router on without rebooting for 48hrs and we can see if the speed increases.

Thanks

Karl. 

jimpy
Conversation Starter

Hi Left the router on for 48 hours No change another Engineer today he did reset again and went back to up to 45 again from 34 (Still a far cry from 60.8) but i'm told its within talktalks boundarys for fibre boost speed.

So Conclusion NO! do not bother updating to fibre boost and certainly do not pay extra for it just stick with fibre at 38 and get a steady fixed speed around 30  

just hope my speed stays steady!!