would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Frequent DNS Resolution failures make browsing impossible

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi

We are getting more and more problems with our Broadband. 

There is no issue with Wifi or the line itself. Pings come back with very little packet loss and speed is OK.

What does happen, very often, is that DNS resolution just stops happening. I have tried using the default TT servers and also done NSlookup on my PC to check against a specific server and it fails also. The TT Dlink router does not have the ability for me to change the DNS servers to use in its interface.

This leads me to think that the UDP DNS traffic is being dropped. 

I've seen a few other threads with the same problem but they're all over a year ago and with no apparent resolution. 

Anyone?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi NikkS

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've checked the connection stats and I can see that at times the SNR is dropping low and this can affect the stability and performance of the connection. I have optimised the connection to see how it compares.

Please can you monitor this over the next 24hrs and let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi Debbie

It's worse than ever right now.

I can't see how the SNR would affect UDP traffic and not TCP traffic though. As I said, pings are fine, if a little slow and consistent. Every time I try to do a DNS resolve it fails, though, whether this is against the default TT servers or the public google ones. I'm sure this is either an issue with our TT router of the network. I'm having to use my phone to even be able to access this page. 

Highlighted

Hi NikkS

Apologies for this.

The line tests are not detecting any faults. I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer

Yes please.

Highlighted
Team Player

“The TT Dlink router does not have the ability for me to change the DNS servers to use in its interface.”

You can set your own DNS on the client computer: UK DNS Servers. Assuming you're using Windows, Windows 7 - Static DNS setup.

Highlighted

Hi NikkS

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
First Timer
Yes, I've already done this and using the NSlookup tool you can force the PC to query against a specific server. When there is a period of 'outage' no DNS servers are able to respond, which makes me think that UDP traffic is being blocked completely (or perhaps the network upstream of my LAN is flooded)
Highlighted

Hi NikkS

Please let us know how the connection compares with the replacement router.

Thanks

Debbie