We are getting more and more problems with our Broadband.
There is no issue with Wifi or the line itself. Pings come back with very little packet loss and speed is OK.
What does happen, very often, is that DNS resolution just stops happening. I have tried using the default TT servers and also done NSlookup on my PC to check against a specific server and it fails also. The TT Dlink router does not have the ability for me to change the DNS servers to use in its interface.
This leads me to think that the UDP DNS traffic is being dropped.
I've seen a few other threads with the same problem but they're all over a year ago and with no apparent resolution.
I'm really sorry to hear this.
I've checked the connection stats and I can see that at times the SNR is dropping low and this can affect the stability and performance of the connection. I have optimised the connection to see how it compares.
Please can you monitor this over the next 24hrs and let us know how you get on.
It's worse than ever right now.
I can't see how the SNR would affect UDP traffic and not TCP traffic though. As I said, pings are fine, if a little slow and consistent. Every time I try to do a DNS resolve it fails, though, whether this is against the default TT servers or the public google ones. I'm sure this is either an issue with our TT router of the network. I'm having to use my phone to even be able to access this page.