Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GDPR Subject Access Request

blissnd
Popular Poster
Message 16 of 16

What is the email address to make a subject access request to TalkTalk?

Software Engineer
0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

blissnd
Popular Poster
Message 1 of 16

Thanks @Gondola @martswain for all the info. I tried every menu on my router so maybe its just my Sagemcom ADSL router is not good. Either way thanks for all the technical info and I'm happy to close this issue. 

Software Engineer
0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Nice one Martin.

Thanks for taking time out to let us know. We always appreciate your contribution.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

The Data Protection Team have to respond to each request as it comes to them and deal with it as a unique request. If they didn't they could be caught by subtle differences in the requests and they'll not be expected to compare the two.

If you're lucky someone may notice they're the same.

As for the router:

The admin login with its unique password is just for the user interface. TalkTalk blocks Internet access to this user interface.  The user can change the router password. So long as you keep the password strong you are protecting unauthorised access to this interface from the user side of the router firewall.

The router itself will use a protocol called CWMP to call for updates from the TalkTalk ACS server. That is all under the control of the router.

The remote management protocol TR-069 is used by TalkTalk to access routers. The user interface that you have control of does in most TalkTalk routers allow the switching off of both CWMP updating and TR-069 Remote Management.

In the Wi-Fi Hub the TR-069 protocol is used in association with a smart Wi-Fi app called CloudCheck to optimise the router Wi-Fi channels for nominally best performance. In this case the TR-069 switching off is disabled by default but can be requested from the OCE's on Community.

I honestly don't know what you're expecting of the Data Protection Team.  There is no unique personal data stored in a router. You may have a phone number for radius server authentication but today that's not used and TalkTalk know the phone number anyway. 

Message 4 of 16

The latest Huawei DG8041W Hub certainly DOES allow the router admin password to be changed.

I have done so with no problem.

blissnd
Popular Poster
Message 5 of 16

hi @Gondola, I'd already sent the email, but anyway I'm sure they'll realise the duplicate is the same request, just a backup sent via different media, to be sure it arrives. And they'll understand to only respond to the first received and discard the 2nd, assuming both are received, due to the timing. 

Anyway, as you seem quite knowledgeable maybe I can ask you about one of my main concerns which prompted the GDPR request? 

I noticed with TalkTalk it's impossible to change the Router Admin password from the default, unlike with the WiFi key. This is the first ISP I've encountered who prevent change of Router Admin password. 

Does this mean TalkTalk staff can access the Admin screens of my ADSL router over the Internet whenever they wish using a default password they already know? 

If so, how can I prevent TalkTalk staff accessing my Router Admin without my express consent? 

Software Engineer
0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

Well, make sure the email is clearly marked for the Data Protection Team so it gets routed correctly and also clearly marked DUPLICATE OF POSTAL REQUEST because under the regulations if you make too many repeated requests all those requests can be reasonably refused.

0 Likes

blissnd
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 16

Thanks @Gondola 🙂 I did take your advice too and sent a letter to the address you gave me, but I wasn't able to send it recorded delivery so I wanted to back it up with an email. 

Software Engineer
0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Oh dear

Still wanting to do it your way!

Use the email address that TalkTalk use for all incoming email communications and make sure you indicate clearly that you are making a Subject Access Request so that it gets routed to the Data Protection Team.

concerns@talktalkplc.com

0 Likes

blissnd
Popular Poster
Message 9 of 16

hi @Michelle-TalkTalk, yes, I'd like a TalkTalk email address that I can use for my subject access request, please. 

Software Engineer
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 16

Hi blissnd,

I can see that Gondola has provided advice on the this. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks

Message 11 of 16

...Naughty, Martin!  Personally, I'd like a reply to be written on a roll of toilet tissue.

How are you? Scotland or Thailand?  How's the family in Thailand? Lock-down same as here?

PS Stephen's opened a Fancy a Chat board so if you'd like to let us know there that would be good.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

You might get a reply in a Christmas Card given the current situation 😉

Message 13 of 16

Hi blissnd 

You can make a request for your own data verbally or in writing. I'm just pointing out that under the current circumstances the contact call centres are responding only to priority calls.

The GDPR does not specifically mandate the provision of an email address for the Data Protection Team.

So, the most appropriate way to make your request is in writing as per the help article using the normal postal address and that request will go directly to the DPT.  They will respond in the normal timescale.

Have you also looked at your MyAccount to see if what you want is in the Data Portability Request?

MyAccount My information - Data Portability

MyAccount Data Portability

blissnd
Popular Poster
Message 14 of 16

They seem to be in contravention of GDPR legislation which, if I remember rightly, requires a company to provide the email address of their Data Controller within their Privacy Policy document.

Strange how British ISPs like TalkTalk & BT seem to consider themselves "above the law"....... 

Software Engineer
0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

Hi @blissnd 

There's no email address but there is a postal address.  Normally I'd say contact the Data Protection Team via 'phone in the first instance but today I'd advise simply making the SAR by post.

Access information we hold on you 

0 Likes