cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Get what you pay for - or your money back.

18 REPLIES 18
Participant

How about if you pay for ordinary broadband and you used to get 4mbps for the last 5 years on "copper wire" from the exchange - - - you get to pay more than before and get your speed reduced to 2.1mbps and told to upgrade to fibre.

You dont need fibre if you have 4mbps of course so your line has to be "shaped" or more appropriately "throttled".

But if you hide the speed test in an unlikely menu option, even better, as you cant run the test easily.

if I could see or post a question I'd consider myself winning the game
Participant

will i ever get that call back from the customer service dept. I waited all evening and it didn't happen

Insightful One

Oh but the joy of anticipation  😂

Philosopher
@SirGraham - please post in the support area on here for help from the team. they are better than the call staff
Hope that help Regards Joe
If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi SirGraham,

I'm sorry to hear this. Would you like us to look into the broadband speed for you?

Thanks

Participant

I need someone to look at the speed. Several weeks ago it got so slow I thought it was 1997 and I was using a 286 chip again. My line has most definitely been shaped and the help desk have not called back. I cant stream well at all. I dont use wifi and am in the master socket 24/7 and I do speed checks around 30 times a day at all hours - same speed regardless.

I do not want fibre - just my right to the right speed on the copper wire or a factual explanation as to why it has been slowed-suddenly to a constant and yet too slow speed - so absolutely obviously shaped by talktalk.

Participant

how do i get to that. When I go help and support it all goes in circles and comes back to the same screen

Philosopher

What is the state of your phone service ?

Do you have a normal dial tone without any odd noises and the ability to make and receive calls as normal ?

Copper and aluminium lines can and do degrade over time, especially where they are joined.

Filtered faceplate master sockets and microfilters can also fail.

Have you tried connecting to the test socket (if you have one) with a different micofilter ?

The only thing that will slow your line down is DLM and that system is now fully automatic.

TT do not throttle lines in the hope that someone will upgrade to fibre !

Martin

Hi SirGraham,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've optimised the connection now to try and increase the speed. Just to confirm, is the voice service ok with no noise on the line?

Thanks

Participant

I got a better speed for a while but for some weeks it is very very bad.

I used to get 3.8 to 3.9 mbps for about 12 years, then it lowered to 3.6 for 6 months and for 3 weeks it has been around .9mbps.

It drops to .3mbps for a while and just now it is a massive 1.2mbps, too slow to log into the talktalk account as I got timed out 3 times before finally getting a link.

It is really beyond a joke but of course still having to pay for the pleasure.

IS there a log of my profile, showing how it is being tweeked, when and by whom?

Hi SirGraham,

I'm sorry to hear this. Is the router currently switched off? It looks like DLM has started to increase the speed over the last 24hrs. What speeds are you receiving at the moment? Just to advise, the profile changes are made by DLM to provide the best balance between stability and speed for the line.

Thanks

Participant

Hi

It has improved but is still very low. It is now 1.7 to 1.8mbps. 10 hours ago it was 1.5 to 1.6.  I can do emails now and log into talktalk first rather than 4th time.

BUT....  why am I constantly having reduced speeds and having to contact community or help.

I arranged a  call back, waited in, only to find they called 4 times a day early and outside the hours arranged and when I was out (hence the arranged time).

Instructions to me were to call back using a talktalk line but of course they needed me to call on the mobile which is not talktalk and if I call on the landline they want to call back tomorrow - again when I am not in because tests need the line free.

If the DLM looks after the line quality etc, why am I getting such "high quality" that I cant even log into an email for weeks on end?

Service levels in the year 2019 is getting lower and lower, not just with my ISP but absolutley every aspect of life.

Car insurance and house insurance-you have to constantly renew with a new privider annually or after 2 years pay over 3 times the premium (Halifax there and Ombudsman is on speed dial).

All cash investments rate is something minute and goes to miniscule at term end.Constantly moving and answering the State for the crime of keeping money aside.

Gas, electric - same thing renew every 12 months or pay the extra hike.

Water - we dont even have a water supplier in our area so we buy it in from the Thames Valley and as a result pay a surcharge to reline the London Sewers, despite them not paying for mine.

Our MP is a criminal and stole £100,000 but was not required to pay it back.

Brexit will lead to violence and famine, certainly financial hardship in the near future, although the finace bit is happening right now.

And our choice of Prime Minister is between a buffoon and a fox hunter, both born with silver spoons in thier mouth and both architects of the countries fall from grace.

We already have a maniac and sex predator in the White House, put there by Russian assistance, and the chance of nuclear war greater than the previous 60 years as a result.

So if I want to send a quick email in any time I have left after chasing all the other utility companies and the 4 minute warning - I'd like to think I might be able to get on the internet and send my last message to loved ones.

And no, I dont want fibre. Just in case you may ask.

Kind Regards

ps Am I likely to keep getting speed improvements and what will the ceiling be - I used to get around 4mbps and its back to 1.7 after weeks of 0.3 to 0.8.  I and the exchage are in the same place and there are no new houses to speak of to share the lines.

Participant

It is now 11/7/19 and my arranged call back for today has not happened, so joy indeed.

Participant

HI

Phone line is perfect, have changed all boxes, cables, connectors, filters and always run wired from the master socket.  Have even take my entire kit to work and it works brilliantly there. And I am 6 miles from the exchange there, not 1.7miles as here.

The DLM is indeed automating a control but of course runs on criteria set by the ISP.

Funny that once I complain the DLM after 3 weeks of non action, starts to rebuild the speed.

I can bounce my traffic from a German, French, Australian and even UK proxy - -but still get the same speed.  So if it was the copper or Aluminium in the 1.7 miles to my exchange surely the 11,000 miles to Oz and 11,000 miles back would make a slight difference - but does not.

If that is not shaping or throttling I need to get Glasnost back but I am not into using their source code from scratch - but it is free to download by any with the knowledge.

Hi SirGraham,

How many telephone sockets do you have? What other devices do you have connected in addition to your router?

Does your master socket have a Test Socket?

Thanks

Chris

Participant

I guess so , yes please. I get little to no response from the call centre. Also Just got home after 3 days away. Tried to log into My Account and can not. On Firefox it says it does not trust the site (me too !!!) and on Chrome that My Account is unavailable right now.... as it was on firefox 3 days ago and I reported it to someone on the chatline. 

Even just now, the chatline says they cant get into their system and to call back in 3 hours.

Has talktalk gone bust and no one has told me?

Hi SirGraham

Is your router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Participant

Yes it is always in the test socket.

After 3 months of awful service, not being able to log in at all, sppeds as low as 0.2mbps for days on end then weeks at 0.8mbps - I finally have 2.5 and above....but, if I start using it now, it will possibly be a different story in 2 hours or tomorrow or next week.

That is what is so disgraceful - knowing what is happening and yet OFCOM not doing anything to stamp out mispractice. This is a hail Mary of last resort.

Kind Regards

Hi SirGraham

Thanks for your reply.

Your line is showing in sync at 3mb but there are a high number of errors showing on the line.

If you have tested with a different router, cable and filter at the test socket then I can pass this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie