cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Ghost in the machine - unwanted factory resets!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
First Timer

The Issue:

I've noticed that it appears as if my TALKTALK router {SAGEM FAST5364 build: SG4K10001E00t} undergoes a reset to factory default settings on a regular basis {about weekly}.

I notice this as:

• The WIFI on user devices stops due to the router returning to default SSID and pswd;
  • The wired devices only see those clients managed by the internal LAN DHCP service {given IPs in the default pool of 192.168.1.x where as my own config has a mix of dynamic and static settings in the 192.168.11.x range};
  • The admin account returns to default password.

I don't like this this as most of the community I'm sure knows that:

• You shouldn't have things at default for security reasons. Pretty basic;
  • The "restore " own config function doesn't seem to work fully meaning I have to reconfigure manually to restore my internal network.

What I've done so far: 

I'll just give the highlights as we're all aware of how hard, how long, etc it is to get to the service desk in the first place and then they appear to have as much technical understanding as a packet of crisps!

So I escalated to a "Technical Manager" who I then educated about external facing IP address and internal facing IPs and that I did nothing with their managed line IP but I think her summary was roughly:

• "you shouldn't be re-configuring away from the defaults" so the manual describes these features but a user shouldn't use them?;
  • "you shouldn't expect the router to remain configured the way you've set it" I note a "warning" in relation to using anything but 192.168.1.1. However you could say I muddle through with my basic networking knowledge.;
  • "we wouldn't do a reset like that" it appears to all intents as if it is happening so it's either something on the line side, something within my internal network or embedded within the router itself?;
  • "That's how it comes from the manufacturer" it's just not fit for purpose then!

I thought about this a little and it is quite common for automated tools to send the "last know good" config to network devices from the Configuration Management Data Base as a network defensive measure but if you've got thousands of customer endpoints its just easy to return them to factory defaults rather than keep the individual config for each endpoint.

The "broken camels back" point came when she asked if she could close the case .... let me think; close the case with no resolution so your Department statistics look great ... hmmmm? .... that would be a "NO" then. Probably did it anyway under "awkward customer" as justification to close.

Considered solution:

Having a router that can be externally managed (no option as you can't disable remote access from TALKTALK or whoever has the credentials) and also supported by TALKTALK looks to be about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

So maybe a router that does what it says on the tin rather than having a mind of its own or TALKTALK's or an unknown third party would be better.

Any opinions or does anyone else experience similar symptoms?

Olde Timer

Highlighted
Community Star

I can only assume it is faulty. I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Olde Timer

Can you please add your home phone number to your Community Profile so I can locate your details.

If unsure of your number, simply dial 17070 from your land line phone and this will confirm the number for you.

Please reply when this has been updated.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE