Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HG633 Router download speed constantly dropping

AJRobson
Chatterbox
Message 12 of 12

My HG633 download speed is constantly dropping over the period of a few hours from rebooting. It has got to the point today where I've rebooted several times, which fixes the problem for a short while but very quickly the speed drops from around 20-25Mbps to currently 0.7Mbps on the WiFi and 1Mbps on the ethernet cable connection in just over an hour.

I've tried a factory reset on the router without any effect on the download speed drop off. 

The upload remains fairly constant at around 4Mbps

My package is Fibre65.

It's not a gaming or streaming issues as the bulk of the internet usages is web browsing.

I've had the same router for a number of years and I'm not sure if it's now got a fault or if there is some other problem. Can anyone help?

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi Andy

I'm so glad to hear this, thanks for letting us know.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Hi Debbie,

New router arrived and installed, had 48hrs of stable internet and download speeds of 45Mbps+.

The problem appears to have been the performance of the old HG633 router.

Andy

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply.

We advise to allow 24-48hrs for the router to arrive.

Please let us know how the connection compares with the replacement router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 12

Debbie,

Sorry, yes I believe the live chat team are arranging for the delivery of replacement router. Not sure on delivery times?

Andy

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply.

Did the Live Chat Team arrange to send the router for you?

Message 6 of 12

Hi Debbie,

I had some help from the live chat team yesterday and by a process of elimination I think we have narrowed down the problem to the HG633 router which may have developed a fault. A replacemment router for testing is the next logical step.

Andy

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Hi AJRobson

I'm sorry to hear this.

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 8 of 12

Ok, probably best to let the staff here take a look at this when they return tomorrow, they will be able to run some tests on your line and your router. If they did think the router may be at fault then they would be able to arrange a replacement for you.

AJRobson
Chatterbox
Message 9 of 12

Hi Skynet_TX,

I've tried the 30minute shutdown and download speed was ok for a short while but very quickly dropped to 0.5Mbps on my ethernet cable connection to the router and less on the wifi. Strangly the upload speed remains constant at around 4Mbps.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 10 of 12

Hi @AJRobson,

One other thing you could try would be to leave the router switched off for over 30 minutes, this will force a new session in the street cabinet when you switch it back on.

The staff on this community won't be around until Monday now, so you may get faster support by using the live chat over the weekend, however the staff here should respond to this topic early next week to help if you still need them.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

0 Likes

AJRobson
Chatterbox
Message 11 of 12

Just rebooted the router and got 35Mbps on the wifi!

0 Likes