Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

HG633 as repeater

14 REPLIES 14
BenMWM
Popular Poster

Can I use a second HG633 as a repeater to extend the wifi range? If so how? 

KeithFrench
Community Star

Yes, you can, I can give you more information if you want, but I need to know what modem or router are you using?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

navek
Team Player
clue is in the op "second" hg633....
use your time wisely... you don't know how much you have left!!
KeithFrench
Community Star

There is more than just the fact of using two HG633s that will affect my answer & configuration steps.

I am assuming you actually mean you want to use it as an extender, not a repeater? There is a difference between the two, in how the two routers connect to one & other. The best way from a performance point of view is an extender, where the connection between the two is via an Ethernet cable or powerline adapters. A repeater connects back to the main router, over that router's wifi network and then repeats a fresh copy of the signal in its area.

A second HG633 (or any TalkTalk router) can be used as an extender, but not as a repeater.

If you want to use it as an extender, I can provide full configuration details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

BenMWM
Popular Poster

Hi Kieth.   Yes, please send me info on making my second router an extender. I do have powerline adapters. Thanks. 

KeithFrench
Community Star

Please see my attached guide.

Keith

BenMWM
Popular Poster

Thanks Keith. Setup basically working, double the wifi range but some things are not getting through easily, one loads, Facebook, other AOL takes ages and often says tine out could not connect etc. Would you by chance have any idea why? Thanks, Ben.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Very difficult to say without more details & even then it might be difficult to be precise, as I am not there to see it for myself. Do these all connect to the extender or the main router & I assume that they are wireless connections. How many devices connect to each router?

Keith

BenMWM
Popular Poster

Hi again. I'm using the 2nd router, connected via powerline ether to the 1st router, but using wifi from laptop to router2. It just seems some programs open right away, others look like they are searching etc and some say "connection not made". Wifi to router2 does not like Chrome, but better on Edge. As you say, a hard one to fathom given all the various pwd's, IP numbers and the like. I might just have to live with it.  Thanks. Ben.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Are the two routers using different WiFi channels & have you looked at this via a WiFi analyser? If they are on the same channel, particularly in the 2.4GHz band, then they will interfere with each other. You may well also be getting interference from other nearby networks, which can be made worse by your two routers. I can help a lot with this if you want it.

Keith

BenMWM
Popular Poster

Router1 is on ch4, router2 is on 11. A scan of the local shows little other traffic. 

KeithFrench
Community Star

You should only ever use Channels 1, 6 or 11 in the 2.4GHz band. Please send me screenshots of the channel view for both the 2.4 & 5GHz bands (I will need to know what you have called each of these networks, along with an AP view and signal strength/time graph. All of these will probably need to be taken in the room where each router is, but not right next to them and probably halfway between the two routers in the house.

Keith

BenMWM
Popular Poster

Thanks Keith but I guess I'll put up with the thing. Its just about doing what I want, could probably make it better but busy now with other things. Thanks for your advise, at least it got it working. Cheers. 

Bahs1
First Timer

Can anyone help pls. I have followed the instructions but the HG633 doesn’t seem to be working as a extender with the new talk talk router. It worked before talk talk upgraded my router. I have followed all the instructions to set up the HG633 but kept the original SSID name and password to distinguish which router I am connecting too. However when I connect it doesn’t seem to pick up a WiFi signal even though the router looks to be working. I am connecting through a PowerLine adapter and Ethernet cable to the router. Any suggestions would be welcome please. I have a black spot in the room at the back of the house and get no WiFi signal so need a way of extending the WiFi signal to this area. Would I better off just get the new WiFi PowerLine extender socket instead as Argos do a Netgear 1900 wall mesh WiFi PowerLine adapter? 

Community Team

Hi Bahs1,

Can you please start your own thread and we'll be happy to help if we can 🙂

Chris