Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HG633 closing forwarded port

chrisncc1701
Team Player
Message 44 of 44

Hi, I have a device ESP8266 conected to 192.168.1.37 forwarded to port 303 on HG633 router, the device has a keepalive active, the router keeps closing the port at various times, sometimes hours or day's, however when the port is closed stopping external traffic i can log on locally (192.168.1.37:303) and the port will reopen? the DHCP reservation and everything else is ok, i have attached screenshots, the device is used for "alexa"forwarding_5.JPG

forwarding_1.JPG

forwarding_2.JPG

forwarding_3.JPG

Any help please, and this is my first post so hope iv'e done it correctly

0 Likes
43 REPLIES 43

Message 21 of 44

Hi everybody, spent Saturday installing router, changed SSID etc, set up port forwarding, most devices worked ok, i had to reload the ESP8266/32 devices, the port forwarding for the 8266 device appears to be stable, some devices threw a wobbler in the morning, don't know if it was the time change, i have had a couple of (1981-01-01 00:00:10 [Error][Alarm-Log] AlarmID:104001,AlarmLevel:Error,Device reset. Cause: System reset due to kernel panic, Terminal:OTHER) on the logs but will see how it goes, I have noticed the cameras don't appear to work as fluently as before (bit jerky) Thanks Keith for the ARP tip, iv'e been trying to look into that but my knowledge is limited, Is it worth doing a power reset when iv'e finished messing about? Thanks Debbie for sending the router, i'll let you know how it goes in the next few day's before i send the HG633 back, i'm sure iv'e missed plenty, if you've any suggestions?

0 Likes

Message 23 of 44

It is always easier to change the new router's SSIDs & password to match the old router's credentials. That way each device already knows the SSID & password to connect to. However, if you do not restart each device, they make not be able to access the internet. This is because the MAC address stored in their ARP cache for the default gateway, will be the MAC address of the old router. Restarting them once all changed over forces them to find the MAC address of the new router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 24 of 44

Hi chrisncc1701

Thanks for keeping us updated.

You can do either, it's up to you.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Message 25 of 44

Hi, I've received the router, will set it up at the weekend, would it be easier if I changed the SSID and password to the old one or do I have to set up my devices again? and thank you for sending one

Message 26 of 44

Hi chrisncc1701

I have ordered a Huawei WIFI hub, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 27 of 44

Hi Debbie,  I'm not sure if I've replied to the thread or topic, but I've updated my profile, I understand the HG633 router port forwards to MAC addresses, would a replacement router port forward differently, then I'll give it a go

0 Likes

Message 28 of 44

Hi, I've updated my details in my profile

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 29 of 44

Hi chrisncc1701

I'm sorry for the delay. Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 30 of 44

That proves that it is nothing to do with WiFi interference. Therefore it is either the router or the application. I did ask TalkTalk to consider replacing the router for you.

It would be best now if you do not post on here anymore until TalkTalk respond to your thread, otherwise, it might delay them in getting to you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 31 of 44

The port (303) is now showing closed but i can still ping the device 192.168.1.37 locally and the router

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\chrisdell>ping 192.168.1.37

Pinging 192.168.1.37 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.37: bytes=32 time=98ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.37: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.37: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.37: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.37:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 98ms, Average = 38ms

C:\Users\chrisdell>ping 89.242.96.195

Pinging xx.xxx.xx.195 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from xx.xxx.xx.195: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Reply from xx.xx.xx.195: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for xx.xxx.xx.195:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\chrisdell>

0 Likes

Message 32 of 44

I never said to let the router pick the channel, you need to set it to the best channel out of 1, 6 or 11.

I still need to know, when the port reports closed, can you still ping Alexa from another locally connected device?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 33 of 44

Hi, yeah I've let the router pick channels before, makes no difference,  when alexa says not responding I've used portchecker.com or yougetsignal.com they confirm the port is closed, but when alexa says ok and the device accepts instructions, portchecker etc confirm the port is open, I know the HG633 ports to MAC and other routers port to IP addresses 

0 Likes

Message 34 of 44

The only way to prove it would require special hardware or something else that can open that particular port. The HG633 is strange in the way it handles port forwarding in that it forwards to the MAC address, not the IP address. Whilst I have no control over what they would replace it with (if they replace it of course, is down to them), but I would guess it would be a more modern router, all of which forward to the IP address.

Where WiFi is concerned, you should only ever use channels 1, 6 or 11 in the 2.4GHz band, as they are the only non-overlapping channels. To prove if it was a WiFi interference issue, when you think the port has closed, have you tried pinging the IP address of the device?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 35 of 44

Hi, No extenders or anything like that, nothing hard wired except talktalk tv box, port closed again so was up at 5am changed ESP8266 hardware, reprogrammed new MAC, forwarding and DHCP etc in router, all ok till 930 ish this morning, wouldn't respond to "ALEXA" port closed again, If talktalk did replace the router would it be another HG633 or one that handles port forwarding differently? wouldn't be as bad if i could recreate the cause, i have analyzed 2.4Ghz band, I have set it to channel 4, nothing else near it and good signal etc

0 Likes

Message 36 of 44

Assuming that the device is connected directly to the router & not via an extender or network switch, then to be on the safe side, I will ask TalkTalk to replace the router.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 37 of 44

Hi, the port has been open from early this morning and closed somewhere between 7 and 9.30pm this evening, nothing on the logs

0 Likes

Message 38 of 44

Let me know if it has worked.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 39 of 44

Have done a factory reset and setup reservation and port forwarding agian, but might be worth noting it took about 4 attempts to factory reset properly

0 Likes

Message 40 of 44

Ok, but will this involving me to reconfigure devices on the LAN or will they keep their IP addresses, my son has to work from home at the moment due to lockdown etc so I will have to do it later this weekend

0 Likes