Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HG633 in brdige modem - monitoring of sync speed

coli1
Team Player
Message 16 of 16

I have HG633 modem working in bridge mode. All is working fine except for sync speed which fluctuates heavily recently. Except for short periods it was fine for number of years and suddenly sync speeds 

Is there a way to monitor sync speed when HG633 is working in bridge mode?

I'm connected by wire to my router and use TalkTalk speedtest. However I would like to be able to access HG633 to check sync speed.    

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 1 of 16

Hi @coli1 

No, I am not. Cisco Layer 3 switches have IP addresses allocated on each switch port & support IP routing through them via static or dynamic routes via various routing protocols (not switching of MAC addresses aka bridging). Each Cisco layer 3 switch contains its own IP routing and MAC tables in them. Of course, if you know better than Cisco Systems, try telling them that they don't know what they are talking about.

Perhaps you don't know what a layer 3 switch is? This might help:-

https://community.fs.com/blog/layer-2-switch-vs-layer-3-switch-which-one-do-you-need.html 

You could also look at this Cisco Catalyst 6500 series of layer 3 switches, OK they are old now, but they were very good:-

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/series.html 

I hope the above helps you.

This is way off topic now, so I am going to lock this thread.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

There are no L3 switches! You are probably referring to L2 switches with management unit accessible in L3 or some functionality which allows switch to look into L3 before making a decision on L2 switching layer. However it will never make it L3 switch.

Thanks for your input! 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 16

Err, you are wrong on that score of course you can have a layer 3 switch, Cisco & many other manufacturers make them & I have worked on them for many years.

I think it is time this thread is closed because I have answered your question many times over. 

I do not give recommendations on any products that I have not used personanally.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

You cannot have L3 switch 🙂 But you can believe that you can 🙂

Do you know any modem which can and works fine with TT?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 5 of 16

Bridge mode is layer 2, not 3. A layer 3 device is a router, yes you can have a layer 3 switch, but that is a switch with routing capabilities:-

https://www.logixconsulting.com/2020/08/25/the-basics-of-bridge-mode-in-routers-and-how-it-works/ 

In answer to your original question, my answer has remained constant - No you can't!

Keith

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

@KeithFrench I'm sure my description of setup is correct. I'm just wondering that maybe your and mine definition of bridge mode is different. When I refer to bridge mode I mean bridging in L2.

Modem  HG633 is in L2 bridge mode as the router gets the ip assigned directly from the provider. 

To summarise your position: you don't know of a way to obtain a modem sync speed from HG633 from LAN (in my setup). Is that right? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 7 of 16

Your HG633 is not in bridge mode at all, being connected to the broadband, if it was in bridge mode then you would have no internet access at all. Neither is it in modem mode either as it does not support it. It is just the first router in your property & as such the sync speed is displayed easily in the router's GUI.

I doubt if there is any utility that can be used on a device on the LAN side of this router that can interrogate the router to find this out.

So despite the fact that your description of your setup was not correct, the answer still remains as no, you can't.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

@KeithFrench you are right but how is it helping?

Here is the setup as per physical devices:

broadband -- HG633 (bridge mode) -- router -- LAN

How from LAN to read sync speed from HG633? Does HG633 have this functionality?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 9 of 16

Sorry, but I have said several times before that NO it is not possible.

Keith

Message 10 of 16

@KeithFrench of course, that's why I am asking if it's possible to obtain this information from LAN side when HG633 is in bridge mode.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 11 of 16

Of course, if it supported modem mode, or if it was the router that was connected to the broadband, it would know the sync speed, but that is not what you have been asking, although I did try & get you to clarify this before. You have been talking about an HG633 in bridge mode, not modem mode. Bridge mode disables all routing functions and means that it requires a router connected to the broadband, using the HG633 as not much more than an AP before it can work.

Please can you clarify exactly how your HG633 is configured, so as I can try & replicate your scenario?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

@KeithFrench I beg to differ 🙂 any modem always has knowledge of sync seed as it has negotiated it. However depending of the model it is able to make this information available or now.

Modem which bridges on wan-lan interfaces (L2) is still able to provide services on lan interface (L3) which would allow access to this information (sync speed).

Question is, does HG633 have such functionality?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 13 of 16

As I said any router in bridge mode will have no knowledge of the modem's sync speed, so no you can't.

You can connect a PC directly into the modem with an Ethernet cable & do a speed test there.

Keith

0 Likes

coli1
Team Player
Message 14 of 16

@KeithFrench of course only modem connected to land line will be able to report the sync speed.

This question is about is there a way to query HG633 to obtain this information (sync speed) when it's working in bridge mode?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

Any router in bridge mode will not show the sync speed as it has no knowledge of it. Only the router or modem that is connected to the broadband will know that.

Keith

0 Likes