would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

HG633 port forwarding fault

9 REPLIES 9
jospanner
First Timer

Hi,

I'm trying to set up port forwarding for a little HTML project. It sort of works.

The problem I am having is that, although the forwarding works for external access (I can get through fine via my phone's 4G network), when trying to access the same address from the LAN, the router insists upon presenting its own admin login page.

This breaks the functionality of web apps like wordpress entirely, as they rely on the links they generate internally to make sense, which they don't, because the router keeps rerouting them!!

To recap:

I have set up port forwarding for port 80 on my HG633 router.

It uses the preset (80-80 -> 80-80).

It is set to forward to a statically assigned IP (i assume, it's set as static in the DNS settings).

I can access my site perfectly from an external network.

Entering the external IP address from the local network breaks everything.

KeithFrench
Community Star

This is not a port forwarding fault, it is by design.

All TalkTalk routers consider such loopback traffic as a security risk and therefore block it.

You can easily access your application locally by connecting to it using its 192.168.1.x IP address.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

jospanner
First Timer

No, as I said, this doesn't work.

Wordpress (for example) creates has to create its links using the externally available address, otherwise you can't use the website externally.

Please explain how this is a security fault?

KeithFrench
Community Star

A fault is something that used to work & now doesn't. Something that operates in a way that it is designed to do is not a fault.

In the age we live in, surely as much security that the ISP can ut in place is a good thing, as it protects all TalkTalk's customers? However, some security features can impact on the way people want things to work, I understand that.

I am a customer and quite rightly,  I have no influence over TalkTalk's security policies. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

jospanner
First Timer

Please explain how not being able to access my own external IP address from my own LAN is a security feature.

KeithFrench
Community Star

I said in my previous post - as a customer I have no influence on TalkTalk's security policy.

Keith

Community Team

Hi jospanner,

As Keith has pointed out the loopback feature isn't available, apologies for any inconvenience 

Chris

jospanner
First Timer

So, the effect of this is that using a home hosted cloud service is impossible, because mobile devices will keep getting different results for different connections (4G and wifi). There's no practical way to even resolve that via a hosts file, because you'd have to keep changing it.

I wonder if that was intentional?

Community Team

Hi jospanner,

I can only apologies if the service doesn't meet your specific requirements. if you would like to take this further please see our Complaint Process, apologies again for any inconvenience

Chris

KeithFrench
Community Star

You can of course use a 3rd party router of your choice, but make sure that it has an inbuilt modem that is compatible with the TalkTalk network.

Keith