Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help

Nigel A
Team Player
Message 19 of 19

In a bout of stupidity I renewed my Talktalk so called "contract" Having signed up for Fibre 65 Talktalk has reduced my service from 70 Mbps to 30/35 Mpbs. Yes I know that somewhere in their dodgy contracts there will be a clause stating the 35Mpbs is the new 65Mpbs. Yes I know it will be a fault on my equipment, probably because I didn't feed the dog, yes I know it will require a, to be paid for engineer, (Who of course will never actually come),

My question is what email address can I complain to? what phone number can I ring to report it?, and don't tell me to go to the service center it goes round in circles, don't tell me live chat - its dead as a talktalk donkey. If there is any information on line, then it is well hidden. I have already been told of for inquiring on other threads - apparently this is NOT a forum ????? Someone give me a working address PLEASE.

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Morning,

Thanks for trying this and I'm glad to hear that the throughput speeds have now increased.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 19

@Nigel A wrote:

I still find it a bit of a coincident that whatever happened coincided with a contract changed, and am still a bit peed off over the amount of time dismantling my system (And the D*** cupboard to get to the master socket !!!)

I think you have answered your own question there - It was a coincidence and nothing to do with renewing your contract.

I don't see how TalkTalk are responsible for the fact you have a cupboard blocking access to your master socket.

Also, you still haven't answered the question of what issues you are having accessing Live Chat. I just tried again right now and got through straight away.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

Hi Debbie and Michelle.

Reconnected the Talktalk modem after 30 mins results good. Talktalk modem on my account speedtest returned 70Mpbs.

I have now returned my system to its original setup (Including putting the xxxxx cupboard back and original cables) and reinstated my TP link Archer modem. results  are again very good TT account speed test = 70.1 Mpbs and reports 76 of yesterday to the modem, while the graph below it has reset and shows yesterday as 15Mpbs ???  TP link archer self test, shows 71.4 to the modem. Internet now very responsive. I am quite happy with this so please leave alone !!!!

I still find it a bit of a coincident that whatever happened coincided with a contract changed, and am still a bit peed off over the amount of time dismantling my system (And the D*** cupboard to get to the master socket !!!)

Thanks for all your help and whatever is was (Or wasn't !!) that you did. Will sort out my details to find out what surprises my new account, and forthcoming  bills, have in store ! Regards, Nigel

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19

Hi Debbie, & Michelle

Just got home and about to do  a 30 min shutdown BUT speed test prior to this is coming over as 70/72 on line sped test and 69 via my account speed test. internet response is now very good, will do the shutdown, and retest with the talk talk modem, if ok I will then restore my system and revert to the TP link Archer modem. Thanks (In anticipation !) Nigel

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

Hi Nigel

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can check the predicted speed range for your line.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 19

Thanks for your reply Michelle, unfortunately I wont be able to do this until this afternoon, but will do asap.

Can you confirm what I am actually on, speed wise. I had faster fibre (with the boost) up to 9th June. Then a verbal agreement for fibre 65 plus from 9th June. The paperwork and my account details then get very vague, it does infer that I am on fibre 65 now ?

Thanks for your help, Nigel

0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

Morning,

Thanks for trying this. Could you try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run another wired speed test please using the TalkTalk Speed Tester as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speed. If there is no improvement following this then I will pass this straight over to our Network Team and ask them to take a look.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

Cabled my system back to the test socket, no change in any of my equipment, however on plugging in the talktalk modem it status reports 78.8 There is not speed test like my TP link, just a status of 78.8 flat and exactly (even if I add a long extension cable) My computer speed test reports 38Mpbs an my talk talk account dashboard similarly reports around 38Mpbs but claims 76 Mbps To the modem "Yesterday" Reconnecting my TP link Archer it self test at around 38Mpbs to the modem.

As you state there is (was) a fault, are you claiming it is on my equipment ? Ie both my computers, my TP Link Archer Modem, and my smart tv have all simultaneously developed a fault restricting them to around half speed? Odd really, as they all ran around 60-70 Mpbs just before the contract change ?

Thanks for your time and effort, Regards, Nigel

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

Hi Nigel

If the same fault is detected then I will need to raise this over to Openreach to be investigated.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 19

Hi Debbie, Not at the moment, I will try to summon up the will power to move the cupboard, disconnect my Archer 2800, and replace it with my Talktalk modem into the test socket. Thanks again for the contact (But don't hold your breath !)

0 Likes

Message 11 of 19

Hi Nigel

Sorry for the delay.

The line test is detecting a possible fault. Is the router currently connected at test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 19

@Nigel A wrote:

Of course its a fault on my equipment, never had one that wasn't,

At first you were suggesting that TalkTalk were deliberately restricting your service, now you're saying that it's your equipment that's faulty? or is that meant to be sarcasm? I honestly can't work you out.

On that subject though, have you tried a spare router, cables, microfilter etc. to rule these things out?

@Nigel A wrote:

I haven't got exactly 40 Mbps, you are doing quite  well if you do. The "alleged" average is 38 

I was merely suggesting that it may help diagnose the nature of the problem to see if maybe by some strange error you had been put on a Fibre35 profile.

The "alleged" average on Fibre35 will include people whose lines are not capable of anywhere near to the 40Mbps maximum on that package. You said that you were previously getting download speeds of 70Mbps, so if your line is clearly capable of that and you had been put on Fibre35 accidentally, you router would be syncing at almost exactly 40Mbps as it would be hitting the Fibe35 cap, do you understand?

You still haven't answered the question of what sync speed you are getting at the router.

@Nigel A wrote:

As for live chat Wow! how often are you on to them to say the service is ok ? 

I don't need to be "on to them" all that often, but every time someone posts on here that live chat isn't working I tent to go and check to make sure it still is, and it always is (within their working hours ,obviously).

What exactly is the problem you are facing trying to access live chat?

If it says "chat offline" they are closed.

If it says "chat now", they are available.

If it says "chat busy", just refresh the page every so often until it says "chat now"

Current phone and chat opening hours if you don't know them are here: Our update on Coronavirus - TalkTalk Help & Support

as

0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

Of course its a fault on my equipment, never had one that wasn't, never had an engineer come inside to fix it either. and no I haven't got exactly 40 Mbps, you are doing quite  well if you do. The "alleged" average is 38 (this is a bit like " your 18 month contract price will never increase") with a minimum around 31. Its purely coincidence that this happened after complaining about being charged for my "free" speed upgrade, on my old contract. but now I am on superfast fibre65 with a special 2 for 1 offer ie. twice the price for half the speed !  As for live chat Wow! how often are you on to them to say the service is ok ? . Your Talktalk service must be really appalling, you have my commiserations !

0 Likes

Message 14 of 19

@Nigel A wrote:

Thanks for the phone number, that's more than I can get out of talktalk. I assume no way to email / leave a message. It figures as Talktalk will probably hope you give up. Live chat is just not available. Rather *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* off as all they had to do was keep taking the money, why they had to reduce my service I don't understand, unless they are hoping to bag a re-connection fee. probably quite likely. 😡

Have you considered the possibility that it is an error or a fault which has developed rather than a deliberate action to restrict your service?

If you log into the router, is the downstream sync speed exactly (or almost) 40Mbps which would fit with your theory that it is being capped at Fibre35 speeds for some reason?

What do you mean about Live Chat not being available - It's working fine for me.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 19

Hi Ferguson, thanks for your help, I have no doubt that the problem, will of course be at my end, as I said I didn't feed the dog till late. I cant help being just a little bit suspicious though, as my speed has fallen to exactly the band that I would expect from Fibre 35 ? Possibly this is a Taltalk 2 for 1 deal, ie twice the price for half the speed ! ! !

0 Likes

Message 16 of 19

Sorry to hear this, but there is no reason your broadband performance should have changed just because you signed up to a new contract. Have you tried the obvious things to check as in the help pages? Subject to that I am sure that the OCE will do their best to help, bearing in mind that they won't be back online until Monday. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 19

Thanks for the phone number, that's more than I can get out of talktalk. I assume no way to email / leave a message. It figures as Talktalk will probably hope you give up. Live chat is just not available. Rather *@#][!![]'#[@#]!* off as all they had to do was keep taking the money, why they had to reduce my service I don't understand, unless they are hoping to bag a re-connection fee. probably quite likely. 😡

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Message 18 of 19

I can only give you the following as the best advice we give to all customers.

If you wish to chat online, there is a link on this page. Refresh the page until it becomes live.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/articles/our-live-chat-team/ta-p/2230529

Opening Hours can be found here - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Or phone 0345 172 0046

Opening Hours can be found here - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Yes, its a Help Forum and posting on others threads delays responses to the poster who is seeking help which is why you were requested to start your own.

Staff here only work normal office hours, so if you want to wait for them, they will get back to you next week.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).