Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Honeywell Lyric Thermostat

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Chatterbox

For the last four months I've been trying to get my Honeywell Lyric heating thermostat to respond to my mobile phone, using Honeywell's "Home" app. But the internet connection between the phone and the thermostat rarely lasts for more than a few hours before being dropped, and never offers more than limited access to the features of the thermostat when working.

I have been in continuous contact with Honeywell customer services during this period, supplied them with full details of my modem and tried out various suggestions, never with any lasting success. They insist the problem must lie with Talktalk and that they are in cosultation to try to sort it out.

The latest email from Honeywell says that the modem firmware (it is a D-Link DSL-3780) must be at least V1.10t. Since my firmware is V1.19t that can't be the problem.
The wi-fi connection to other devices is generally adequate, but the router does need rebooting fairly frequently when connections drop. Are there any changes I can make to the router settings that might help? Do I need a new router?

Any advice would be welcome.

Highlighted
Community Star

I would assume that you just have set port forwarding up OK on your 3780 for it to work at all? When Honeywell are talking about your router's firmware, perhaps they think you have the 3782, as the latest firmware for that is V1.10?

Have you set a DHCP reserved IP address in the router for the thermostat? When you try & access it from the internet (not your local WiFi) are you using the router's WAN IP address or a DDNS domain?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Thanks for the response.
I'm getting a little bit out of my technical depth here. I dont know much about port forwarding, but the fact that the thing works at all from time to time suggests that the necessary ports are open.

Honeywell were certainly informed of the exact router model and details. I assume that at some time there must have been V1.10 firmware for the 3780?
I've set a static ip address for the thermostat within DHCP and so far it's stayed on line for over 24 hours, but still only offering limited functionality.
I'm fairly sure the internet will be using the router's ip address, I've certainly not changed to DDNS, which seems a bit of a complicated process. But if the router's ip changes frequently I may look into this further.
 It's actually a good wireless thermostat, but internet connectivity is rubbish, especially as some settings can only be made via the app.

I hope Honeywell really are working with Talktalk to resolve this.

Thanks for your help

Highlighted
Community Star

The only responsibility here from TalkTalk's point of view is to provide an IP communication path from the internet to the device you require access to, which they have done.

As far as the lack of facilities you complain about, that is totally down to Honeywell to improve the integration between their app & their thermostat, if they feel it needs improvement.

I mentioned DDNS which will help maintain a permanent IP path, I can help you all the way with that if you want it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Thanks for responding.

I'd always assumed the problem lay with the Honeywell software. But based on on-line comments, there do seem to be people using the app successfully.

So I decided to go back to basics and reset just about everything. As always, the thermostat set-up process via the router failed at the last stage. I tried this several times, always with the same result. I then set up my mobile phone as a hot spot, and using a tablet with the Honeywell Home app on it, finally got it all working perfectly. Then, using the wi-fi reset facility in the app, moved the connection across to the router. For the moment at least it is doing everything it's supposed to.
Now that the connection is more reliable, since setting DHCP to static, I'm hoping it will be stable for a bit longer.

At least it proves the app is capable of doing what it claims. But this is very far from the plug-and-play situation a non-tech person like me should expect, and I don't accept that TalkTalk shouldn't take some responsibility in this matter.

To quote from just four of the many emails I've had from Honeywell's (helpful and accessible) customer support -

"We have had some issues with this internet provider (TalkTalk) that were supposed to be solved but from what I can see you are experiencing the same issue".

"Please be advised that the development team is still in contact with Talk Talk but they aren't having a lot of luck".

"...still waiting for some confirmations from Talk Talk on which router model causes these issues. I would kindly ask you to allow us a bit more time to investigate this so we can come with a proper solution".

"I can assure you that the issue you are experiencing is related to the router connection and is not a general issue that affects multiple users"

It looks as though TalkTalk needs to do a bit more talking.

Anyway, thanks for your help,

Neil

Highlighted
Community Star

I get involved in most of the difficult problems & I can't ever remember anything with Honeywell at all.  If Honeywell would like to advise me of exactly what Technical issues they have with TalkTalk - I do mean technical, then I would be happy to try & help further. However, without one of these to try myself, I cannot visualise what the problem is. You said originally it was a bit unreliable due to changing IP addresses (you will still have this unless you also use DDNS, which I can help with), but now you say you are having connection issues.

Keith

Highlighted
Chatterbox

I've now done everything you suggested, including activating DDNS, and the thermostat has stayed on line for the last week. So that's one problem solved. Trouble is it still won't respond to commands from my phone, although when I reset the wi-fi it  will allow me to change temperatures for a short while afterwards.

If I use my mobile phone as a hot-spot everything works perfectly. When I transfer the connection back to the router it all turns to worms.

As I said previously, Honeywell are still adamant it's a router problem and as long as they go on thinking that way I'm not likely to get much further. Still, I'll have another go at them before packing it up and sending it back.

Highlighted
Community Star

TalkTalk has provided you with an IP path from your phone on the internet through to the thermostat. That is what any ISP does. How Honeywell chooses to utilise that network is up to them.

Keith

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Resolved this problem at last. I replaced the TalkTalk router with an old Netgear device and finally got the Honeywell app. at least partly working, although commands had to be repeated several times before the thermostat would respond. This success inspired me to change to a new ISP and a new router. The app registered at the first attempt and is now doing everything it's supposed to and the connection has been rock solid so far. It looks as though Honeywell were right to insist that the problem must lie with TalkTalk.

Highlighted
Community Star

I am glad you have it working & from what you say I agree that the TT router is at fault. Alas as Honeywell would not fully disclose what they needed to get this to work correctly, then there was nothing TT could do about it.

My guess would be that the thermostat was using some non standard port(s) that were blocked in the outbound direction by the router's firewall.

Keith