Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change router's DNS servers? (Wi-Fi Hub Black)

demulv
Team Player
Message 6 of 6

I have the latest Wifi-Fi Hub Black router (Huawei-DG8041W), and am struggling with changing the router's DNS servers to Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

I don't want to change the settings in the DHCP server, but instead the router as a whole (I still want the router to be used by the DNS clients in my network).

In the Advanced Configuration section I've discovered Application - Static DNS, which has a bit for 'Static DNS Configuration'.  I'm pretty sure this is where I should be adding Google's servers, but there's also a mandatory field for Domain Name?!  What should go there...?

Or am I looking at the wrong thing completely?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

I said in my previous post that this is a known issue but until new firmware is released I won't be able to confirm if it is fixed or not. I have no date for the next firmware either.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 6

I know this is an old thread but is this being implemented or not ?

Regards

Rob

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

They have seen my report of this, but no news as to what will be fixed in the next version of firmware.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

@ Keith

Hmm, just received a DG8041W and found this little gotcha. It's going back in the box and back out comes the HG633 until this is fixed.

Any idea if they have taken onboard your suggestion this is a bug and not a deliberate feature and if they plan to release a fix ?

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Whilst I haven't tried that approach, the actual DNS servers used are the TalkTalk ones, to change them you should be in Advanced Config > WAN page. However, as you have probably realised, you can't change them there. I have highlighted this to the developers as a bug.

Keith