Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei HG633 router randomly disconnecting devices

Dogwalker4k
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 6

Hey all

After having our router for almost 3 years it has decided to start randomly slowing down WiFi connected devices (streaming video becomes a buffering chore) and disconnecting them on a whim. All the lights are green when this happens so I'm finding it hard to lockdown the problem using my limited skills.

When we upgraded to fibre we were told that a new router was not needed as our current one was compatible. That has been the case up until recently when these problems started occurring. It gets so frequent sometimes that me and my partner has to switch to mobile data on our phones.

Any help whatsoever in this would great, thanks

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi Dogwalker4k

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

Message 2 of 6

Thanks for the tips. They've offered to send me a replacement router for testing so will go from there. I will definitely come back to this for any further issues though. Again thanks for your detail reply

Message 3 of 6

That would be great, thank you

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 6

Hi Dogwalker4k

I'm sorry to hear this.

I can send you a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 5 of 6

Hi @Dogwalker4k,

This could be a fault developing with the router, but it could also just be Wi-Fi interference (assuming it is only affecting wireless devices, and any wired devices you have are working normally), for example one of your neighbours may have got a router that is broadcasting on the same, or similar, channels to yours.

There are a few things you could try to see if it is Wi-Fi interference causing the problems.

Split the SSID's on the router, this will allow you to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz network bands different names, so your Wi-Fi devices will then see those two networks separately, you can then try connecting to one or the other to see if one gives a more reliable connection than the other. Doing this in itself won’t fix the problem, but it makes it easier to troubleshoot as you can easily see what device is using what band.

Change the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

If trying the above makes no difference then it may indicate an issue with the router, the staff here would be able to help with that.