Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Broadband connection

AliceHarper8
Chatterbox
Message 13 of 13

We have faster fibre in a shared house, which since lockdown now has four people needing to work from home. The internet speed doesn't appear to have been affected at all by this increase in activity, but several times a day the internet will just drop out altogether.

There doesn't appear to be any pattern to this - it will get worse in the evenings but can happen all day long. The outages will only last for a few minutes but there might be ten - twenty of them in a day.

Not sure if this is an issue with our router, the wiring or just the fact that we live in a three storey house... have been unable to find a solution so far, have considered switching provider but not sure that would actually solve the problem and haven't had issues otherwise.

12 REPLIES 12

AliceHarper8
Chatterbox
Message 1 of 13

Hi,

I recently renewed our contract, and was told we would receive a new router as part of the renewal, which hasn't arrived. 

When we had our issues before we were sent a new router, but subsequently an engineer came out to do other work on the connection outside our property, and he checked the replacement router and said it was faulty. We reverted back to using the old router but since I renewed the contract the broadband connection drops out regularly.

Can anyone let me know when we might receive the new router?

Thank you

Alice

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Hi

I can see the Dlink router connected, and there are high wifi errors showing.  

do you have the replacement Wifi hub and can you connect this ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Staff will reply Monday to Friday, @AliceHarper8.

If you need help sooner, please try phoning on Saturday, after 9am, or use Chat, any day after 9am. 

Scroll down on this page for the link to Chat:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

We did receive the replacement router, thanks! 

After plugging the new router in two weeks ago the connection to all our devices was improved - it still dropped out occasionally but only for a few seconds at a time.

However, at around midday today both my laptop and phone lost connection to the internet. There were no other problems with other devices. After restarting the router the problem was fixed for around an hour, then both devices disconnected again.

Since then all the other devices in the house have gradually lost connection to the router. We have tried restarting the router again but it hasn't fixed the problem. 

We've tried the usual small things like restarting devices, clearing app caches, forgetting the network and re-entering the password, none have made a difference so far. 

Would welcome more help/suggestions! 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

Hi AliceHarper8

Have you received the replacement router?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

Thanks for that, just to add - it has dropped half a dozen times today (for at least five minutes at a time) and the wired connection has been dropping too, so wondering if it isn't just a problem with the WiFi...

Message 7 of 13

Hi Alice

Try the advice from Skynet_TX and see if that helps.

As your current router is a few years old, I've an updated router on the way to you to see if this helps.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 8 of 13

Hi @AliceHarper8,

If you have a router that has a 'broadband' light on then that is the key light to keep an eye on, that should always be solid green, if that ever flashes that means the router has lost its connection with the internet and is having to reconnect.

If that light remains solid green and the wired device is working well, but you are having issues with wireless devices, then it may just be an issue with your Wi-Fi signal.

There are always going to be limitations as to how far the Wi-Fi signal can travel, so if you find the Wi-Fi performance is ok in rooms fairly close to the router, but it gets worse as you move further away it may just be that your router can't provide a signal over that distance. In scenarios like that things like a Wi-Fi extender can be useful. However it would be worth checking the things mentioned below to make sure you are getting the best out of the signal your router is broadcasting.

If you have neighbours that have Wi-Fi routers then their signal can sometimes cause interference with yours, affecting the strength of your signal. There are a few things you could try to see if it is Wi-Fi interference causing the problems.

Split the SSID's on the router, this will allow you to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks different names, so your Wi-Fi devices will then see those two networks separately, you can then try connecting to one or the other to see if one gives a more reliable connection than the other.

Change the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

If trying the above makes no difference then it may indicate an issue with the router, the staff here would be able to help with that.

Message 9 of 13

Have updated the details now, thanks!

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Have updated the details on my account now, thanks!

We do have one wired connection, which seems to be fairly stable, compared with the wireless devices.

The lights on the router will flicker all the time, which is probably fairly normal? We haven't noticed the lights changing colour at all when the connection drops.

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 11 of 13

Hi AliceHarper8

add the home phone number or account number to your 'Community Profile' and I'll check the connection for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 12 of 13

Hi @AliceHarper8,

Do you know if the problem is with the router losing its connection to the internet (in which case a light on your router which is normally constantly lit will change colour or flash), or is it that you are losing Wi-Fi connection between your device(s) and your router (in which case the light(s) on the router will just carry on looking normal).

Do you have any ‘wired’ devices, do they also lose connection ?

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two. You may get faster support from the live chat or by phoning up during opening hours.

0 Likes