Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Intermittent connection and drop in speed

49 REPLIES 49
Highlighted
Team Player

I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the service provided by TalkTalk. After browsing the community for a few minutes I can see that I am not the only customer getting this issue.

I'm on the verge of leaving TalkTalk and joining a different internet service provider.

For the past 3 weeks my internet download and upload speeds have dropped and I all devices in the house lose connection randomly for varying lengths of time.

I have tried resetting the router, I have spoken with no less than 4 different TalkTalk agents online, 1 on the phone and even had an engineer booked to visit me. However, they failed to turn up today and I've received no explanation as to why.

I've purchased a new microfilter from the TalkTalk shop to see if that fixed the issue - it did not.

I have tried plugging the router directly into the test socket located within the master socket, this did not effect the speed or connectivity.

I have had several TalkTalk representative perform a "test" from their end, they have each said that they cannot detect a fault in the line and that the issue must be present within the home.

I feel like I am being run in circles, and it's clear to me that a lot of other customers are receiving the same issue that I am.

I have used TalkTalk exclusively for many years. This is close to being the thing that drives me away. I'm at the end of my tether.

I'm a vulnerable customer that needs the internet to work from home. 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi MissAyla

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which has detected a possible fault towards the property. Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

I can send you a replacement router so we can rule out any possible router issues. Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Thank you for responding.

I can confirm that the router is plugged into the master socket.

I am happy for you to arrange a new router to be sent out.

Regards

MissAyla

Highlighted
Team Player
Hi Debbie

Thank you for responding.

I can confirm that the router is plugged into the master socket.

I am happy for you to arrange a new router to be sent out.

Regards

MissAyla
Highlighted

Hi MissAyla

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player
Hi Debbie

The router arrived today and I set it up using the instructions provided.

My download and upload speeds are still lower than the contracted guaranteed speeds associated with my package.

Highlighted

Hi MissAyla

Thanks for your reply.

Is the connection still dropping with the replacement router?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player
Yes.

I just performed a TalkTalk Speed Test and I can confirm that my speeds are as follows.

5.9 Mbps Download speed
0.2 Mbps Upload speed

I am STILL paying my bills. This has been going on for almost 2 months now. TalkTalk has been aware of this issue for a long time now.

TalkTalk are NOT upholding their obligation to provide me with the minimum guaranteed speeds.

If TalkTalk do not fix this problem very soon than I shall be enacting my right as a customer under the Ofcom's Broadband Speed Code of Conduct to terminate my contract early and without penalty or fee.
Highlighted

Hi MissAyla

I'm sorry to hear this.

If the connection is still dropping with a different router at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player
Hi Debbie

As I mentioned previously, an engineer was already booked to visit my home but they didn't bother turning up.

I have responded to your private message.
Highlighted

Hi MissAyla

I have replied to your Private Message.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi MissAyla

Thanks for the Private Message.

This fault has now gone straight over to a line engineer who will investigate on the line outside and at the cabinet.

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

Thank you. When will the engineer arrive, and will they need to enter my home?

Highlighted

Hi MissAyla

The engineer does not need access at the moment, I will check the fault ticket later on this afternoon for further updates.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi MissAyla

This fault is still with the Openreach line engineers, no further updates have been provided at the moment, I will check this again tomorrow.

Thanks

Debbie

Hi MissAyla

This fault has now been closed by Openreach as resolved.

Has this fault been resolved?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

The engineer reset the line or something like that, said that TalkTalk had failed to reset it after we had a new router.

The problem was resolved for one day and now it's straight back to the way it was!

This is obviously an issue caused by TalkTalk messing around with the line. I'm incredibly unhappy with this service.

Highlighted
Team Player

4.8 Mbps

Your average download speed

0.1 Mbps

Your average upload speed

Why am I still paying TalkTalk for such a substandard service? This is ridiculous.

Highlighted

Hi MissAyla,

The line test is now passing, is your router currently connected to the test socket?

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Chris

My router is currently connected to the main socket. 

I do not own a home phone so I do not know if there is any noise on the line, however when the engineer visited he plugged one in and said the line was clear.