cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Intermittent connection and drop in speed

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

OK thanks, just to confirm, the router is connect to the main socket with the face plate on and not the test socket underneath, face plate off?

How many telephone sockets do you have?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

I confirm that the router is connected to the main socket with the face plate on and not the test socket underneath, face plate off.

I have one telephone socket.

Highlighted

Is it the type of socket with a separate telephone socket and broadband socket? Your guide to master sockets

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

The master socket is a NTE 5C MK 4

Yesterday the router lost internet approximately 10 times within the space of 1 hour.

At one point the download speed was 32 mbps and the upload was 0.7 mbps, less than 5 minutes later the router lost connection and when it reconnected the download speed was 5.6 mbps

Today my readings are 13.3 Mbps download speed and 0.1 Mbps upload speed.

Highlighted

Hi MissAyla,

Thanks for the update. We can go ahead with the engineer visit to your home that we mentioned earlier. If you'd like us to arrange this can you confirm that you accept potential engineer charges and give a couple of days/time slots when you can be available for the visit

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

As per my previous reply, the engineer has already visited my home and ruled out any issues within my home.

He said that the issue was with the internet provider which in this regard is TalkTalk. He reset the line and it fixed the problem. However, after 24 hours the problem returned.

This is obviously an issue on your end. Not mine. 

Highlighted
Team Player

Tonight has been one of the worst instances of intermittent and dropping internet speeds.

After performing a more thorough speedtest I have found that I am experiencing a 172% middle variance, with lows of 1.25 mbps download speed.

This is absolutely unacceptable and I would like a refund for the past 2 months that I have paid for such ludicrously low and substandard speeds.

Highlighted

Hi MissAyla,

Apologies, the line test is now indicating a possible external line fault so I've escalated this straight to Openreach now for an external line investigation to be completed.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player
Hi Michelle

Thank you for your response. When can I expect to have this issue fixed?

Also, can you please facilitate my refund for the past 2 months?
Highlighted

Hi MissAyla,

We've received an update from Openreach saying that they've fixed the fault, is everything OK now?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

The fault was initially fixed.

However, I am now experiencing dropped speeds and an intermittent connection again.

Team Player

I would also like to point out that I have requested a refund twice now and have yet to receive a response.

For every month that TalkTalk fails to provide me with my guaranteed minimum speeds I would like a refund.

Highlighted
Team Player

The internet has been abysmally slow all weekend with several disconnects.

I was unable to play any games online or watch Netflix due to the intermittent speeds and connection.

Highlighted

Hi MissAyla,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service again 

Line test is passing but I can see that there have been a lot of reconnections - is your router currently connected to your test socket?

(If you'd like to discuss a refund could you please contact our customer services team, they'll be able to discuss this with you)

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Chris

The router is not connected to the test socket but is plugged into the master socket.

Highlighted

OK thanks, how many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

I have one socket in the house and only the router is plugged into it.

Highlighted

Could you connect the router to you test socket if you have one, and leave it there for the time being, and let us know if stability improves. 

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

I connected the router to the test socket via a microfilter.

So far I have not experienced any disconnects, however the speeds are still a lot slower than they should be.

Highlighted

Hi MissAyla,

Thanks for the update. Line test is now picking up a potential issue, is your router still connected to your test socket, and there's just the router connected? Once you've confirmed this we'll log it over to Openreach for investigation 

Chris