cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Intermittent timing out of web pages

15 REPLIES
Highlighted
Gilbeh
Team Player

Hi

I now have a new router via this site.  I also have a new Dell computer which runs Windows 10 and Kaspersky.

However, I am so frustrated that the internet is not working well for me and frequently times out, giving the error message INET_E_CONNECTION_TIMEOUT.   Sometimes I cannot get on to Google at all - it times out; sometimes I can get on to online banking right through to a list of my accounts but when I press for a statement, it times out.  I have tried other sites and again, sometimes I can get on to them but once I have gone through a couple of screens, it times out.

There is no problem at all with my ipad mini or iphone and we have another lap top which seems to be working well, although we did find a problem with a different online banking system, which timed out.

I feel there must be a setting somewhere setting the length of time that the computer will try to access a site which needs to be changed to a longer time length.

Any ideas please.  At present this new computer is not worth having as it is so unreliable.

Thank you

Community Team

HI Gilbeh,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your service. Just to confirm, do you get this error in MS Edge? Have you tried a second internet browser on the same machine?

Have you only experienced the problem since receiving the new router?

Chris

Gilbeh
Team Player

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, it is since we had the new router but that coincided with me getting the new laptop.  There is no problem with my iPad or the other computers in the house most of which run Windows 10.  We also changed from Norton to Kaspersky about the same time.

We have now tried Mozilla Firefox but it gets hung up on TLS handshakes for ages and then times itself out although it does try a lot longer than Microsoft edge.

We found that there was a large Microsoft update trying to get through and it had been trying, unsuccessfully every day for several days.   We managed to get this through and thought it might be the problem, but evidently not.

lloyds bank is my main problem but there are other sites as well and it even rejects Google sometimes.  It is very intermittent. BBC I-player seems to work OK.

I went onto lloyds first thing this morning and got right through security to my statements.  Now it just times out or if I use Firefox it gets stuck on handshakes.

Community Team

Hi Gilbeh,

Do you still have the previous router that you could test with just to rule this out?

Thanks

Gilbeh
Team Player

Hi

No, I returned it.  

Community Team

OK, thanks 

Do you have HomeSafe enabled? Just a thought but if you have could you try temporarily disabling it and check to see if this makes any difference

Chris

Gilbeh
Team Player

Cthanks.  Have checked but it is not on.

However, it is very odd but seems to relate to wifi.  When accessing banks via wifi it usually does not connect and gives the error message but if you plug in the Ethernet connection, it goes through without trouble.  It's still work in progress.

Gilbeh
Team Player

I have just been advised that some routers now have added security software.  Bearing in mind that my router is new, is this likely and if so, how do we get round it please?

Gilbeh
Team Player

Just had another thought on this.  I recently had a smart meter fitted by EDF energy.  Could this interfere with the wifi?

Community Team

Hi Gilbeh

Possibly. Is the router connected near to the meter?

Thanks

Debbit

Gilbeh
Team Player

The meter is on the ground floor and the router on the floor above, not over it but close.  

I have contacted my bank and they can find no errors their end.  

It is strange that it is just Banks I have problems with.  If I try WiFi and it times out, then plug in the Ethernet and just refresh, all is immediately ok.  So it is def a WiFi problem. Are there any settings on the router that can be altered?

Community Team

Does it make any difference how close the laptop is to the router?

You said in an early post that you changed from Norton to Kaspersky, has Norton definitely been uninstalled (having more than one Internet security suite installed can sometime cause problems)

Chris 

Gilbeh
Team Player

I took the lap top right up to the router and it still timed out.  Norton has not only been uninstalled but also expired.

Today, I took the lap top to my gym to try their wifi, which I think is O2.   I tried Mozilla Firefox and Edge a total of 5 times to get into my bank.  Their wifi is rather slow but at no time did it ever time out and I was able to get right through my Lloyds bank accout security and into statements on each occasion.  I also tried Halifax and had no trouble.  This makes me think it is down to my router, although on some occasions, especially first thing in the morning, I can connect right through to statements.  Other occasions it times out at any point in the process of going through the security of the bank site.  Still no problem at all with accessing it via the app on my mini ipad.

I'm still also suspicious of the smart meter for the electricity as this sends messages every 30 minutes I think and I wonder if I try the wifi at that point, if it disrupts it somehow but I have looked on line and there is no report of this sort of thing happening.

Community Team

Hi Gilbeh

You could try some of the suggestions on our help page for improving wireless connection 

See if there is any improvement after the changes. 

Gilbeh
Team Player

Well, it's very odd, but since taking it to the gym and connecting through their wifi, I now have no problem with the home wifi.  I have been on to my bank and straight through to statements on Edge and Firefox several times without problem.

Hopefully, it is now solved.

Thank you.

Community Team