Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet Connection Dropouts

20 REPLIES 20
DavidHaughton
Team Player

Hi I've had the HG633 Router for several weeks now (replacement due to a different issue) and currently we're getting intermittent dropouts. Lasts a couple of minutes, tries a couple of times and reconnects... Then a few minutes later same again... then fine for an hour then drops out again. There's clearly a stability issue somewhere. I have it plugged in to the test socket currently but not any better.

I'm slightly concerned that will impact my enjoyment of the Champions League final tomorrow night. Is there any chance somebody could look into this for me?

Thanks

D

Community Team

Hi David,

How has it been over the weekend? Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line?

Chris

DavidHaughton
Team Player

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I was out of the house for a lot of it but yes there were still some dropouts in the evening. I checked the phone this morning and yes it is a bit noisy. One thing I will do this evening perhaps is plug the router directly into the master socket as there is 20ft of cable from where the router is down in the lounge to where the master socket is, upstairs in our bedroom.

David

Community Team

OK thanks David, so when you said in your earlier post that it's plugged into the test socket, this is via the 20ft extension?

Chris

DavidHaughton
Team Player

Yes. That's right. I realised this morning before I left for work it might have been a better test if it was plugged directly into the test socket... well, via the filter... I was confident the long cable to the box was ok but I could be wrong 🙂

Community Team

OK thanks, please let us know how you get on with the router connected directly to the test socket. Could you also check to see if you can still hear the noise with the telephone connected directly to the test socket and router disconnected

Thanks

Chris

DavidHaughton
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Chris 

Apologies for the long delay. I've tested the router and phone connected directly to the test socket. There was still some issues with connectivity and the phone line seemed quite noisy/crackly. I notice the outside line from our exterior wall goes to a telegraph pole that is covered in ivy. I could be barking up the wrong... telegraph pole... but maybe that's an issue?

Thanks

David

Community Team

Hi David,

Thanks for the update

Just to confirm, did you check the telephone for noise with the router disconnected? Do you have another telephone handset that you can test with?

Chris

DavidHaughton
Team Player

@OCE_ChrisHi Chris... So sorry not to have replied to this. Been a busy couple of weeks. I've plugged the phone directly into the test socket and I can report that it's still very noisy. The Mastersocket is nice and clean. No corrosion or damp. Is this something OpenReach would need to look at? As I say the line from the house goes to an ivy covered telegraph pole.

Community Team

Hi David,

Thanks for trying this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Just to confirm, is the noise present at the moment? Is the noise also present with 2 different handsets?

As soon as we've confirmed this then we can pass this straight over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

DavidHaughton
Team Player

I'm not home right now so cant check the phone but I can confirm it's been like that for weeks. If I phone home landline from work for instance its very crackly.

Community Team

Hi DavidHaughton

Is the noise present on 2 different handsets and with the router removed from the line?

Thanks

Debbie

DavidHaughton
Team Player

Yep. Router unplugged and the phone is still noisy. I cant test with a different handset but phone is relatively new, only a few years old.

Community Team

Hi DavidHaughton

Thanks for your reply.

Is the phone corded or cordless? I can raise this over to our Network Team for investigation however we ask for a different handset to be tested to rule out any possible equipment issues.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
DavidHaughton
Team Player

It's cordless. I can try and get hold of a corded handset but this might take a few days possibly and I'm fairly confident it will still be noisy and crackly.

Community Team

Hi DavidHaughton

Ok, I can raise this straight over to our Network Team now, are you happy for me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

DavidHaughton
Team Player

Yes. Thanks @OCE_Debbie that would be great. 🙂

Community Team

Hi DavidHaughton

I've passed this fault over to our Network Team for investigation and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi DavidHaughton

Our Network Team have been unable to locate any faults following their testing so the next step would be to arrange a BT Openreach engineer visit.

Would you prefer to test with a different phone first before we arrange this visit?

Thanks

Debbie

DavidHaughton
Team Player

Should I expect any costs for having an engineer visit? It would be good to have somebody come and look at it. We are away from Thursday to sunday though.

Thanks