Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Connection Dropping off on Laptop

Geheppo4
Conversation Starter
Message 51 of 51

Hi Guys 

I am back with the same old problem, My internet connection to my laptop keeps dropping off when I leave my laptop for 30 minutes or so and I have to keep reconnecting it1

I have run update checks on my laptop and even looked to see if there is a better driver for my network adapter and run diagnostics on my laptop for problem with my connection but everything comes back running smoothly.

This always occurs when I move my laptop from the area I normally work in to my rear bedroom where my charger is situated to put my laptop on charger but when I do that I am directly above my router!

Can some one help me with this or suggest some thing that might help correct this 

0 Likes
50 REPLIES 50

Message 1 of 51

I noticed that your problem is with a Dell Inspiron.

I've just spent a month trying to understand a wi-fi download speed issue that was affecting my own Dell Inspiron.  As your problem is disconnections rather than speed this might not be a fix for your problem but I thought it worth a look to rule it out (see post in the TalkTalk community).

https://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukdhs1/sln309274/troubleshooting-network-performance-issu...

0 Likes

Message 2 of 51

There is always a chance the adapter got damaged, but I can't tell from this description.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 51

Thanks for the input Keith you have been very helpful and since our last posts I have checked the Acrylic software and found that there are quite a few using Channel 11 on the 2.4Ghz band so decided to leave it on Channel 6 and up to now everything seems to be okay and connection has stayed pretty much very steady.
Only thing that did happen is that on Wed 9/10/19 late at night I went to use my laptop and as I opened it up it slipped and slid across the computer desk with a thump and clatter and when I booted it up it would not connect to the network and internet!

I left it until the next day and ran I diagnostics on it but that did not reveal any problem so I ended up reset my net work adapter which cured the problem, is it possible that there may be a fault with the wifi adapter in my computer?

Regards Geo

0 Likes

Message 4 of 51

Hi @Geheppo4 

The problem is that there is a lot of interference on your 2.4GHz band, where people are not adhering to the channels 1, 6 or 11 guidelines. Your best bet is to use channel 11, but even that is not very good, as there is only the minimum separation between yours & the other one on channel 11 (you need 20dB).

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 5 of 51

Hi Keith,

Well here we are again, I received my replacement hub on 25/09/19 and set it up without changing the password or SSID for a couple of hours to let it settle as we went to do our weekly shop.

When we got back I set it up with my own password and SSID so that we did not need to change them on all our devices after a couple of days I took some screen shots of the Acrylic Software readings and here are the results

As you can see from the graphs it appears to me that the signals were better before the firmware update and after the update they appear to be colliding with each other!

When we were connected before the router update the connections was fine then after the update it started to drop off again, it appears to me that the update as caused the problem with the connection. Correct me if I am wrong but reading the graph is just like reading an oscilloscope graph which shows the highs and lows of the connection the higher the peak the better the connection.

Regards Geo

This one is of the 5Ghz before the firmware updateThis one is of the 5Ghz before the firmware update2.4Ghz  Bandwidth before the firmware udate2.4Ghz Bandwidth before the firmware udateAfter I  changed to dedicated channelsAfter I changed to dedicated channelsScreenshot (114).pngScreenshot (115).pngScreenshot (116).pngScreenshot (117).png2.4Ghz band after the firmware update2.4Ghz band after the firmware update5Ghz band after firmware update5Ghz band after firmware updateScreenshot (120).pngScreenshot (121).pngScreenshot (122).pngScreenshot (123).png2.4 Ghz dedicated  Channel2.4 Ghz dedicated Channel5Ghz dedicated channel5Ghz dedicated channel 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 51
Thanks Keith will do and thanks for all your help

Message 7 of 51

Hi @Geheppo4 

I can't really identify the problem with just the signal strength/time graphs. There are signals of similar strength as yours on either band. That is not a problem if the channels do not interfere with each other, but will cause you problems if they do.

When you get the replacement hub, give it a little while for the firmware to update to V2600 and then get a completely fresh set of screenshots.

Keith

Message 8 of 51
Thanks Karl that is much appreciated

Message 9 of 51

Hi

A replacement hub is on the way for testing.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 10 of 51
Hi Chris,

I have an Huawei Hg633 router but that wont even connect to the internet now and only allows my computer to connect to the network.
Another wifi hub would be gratefully appreciated to try and rectify my connection problem
0 Likes

Message 11 of 51

Hi @Geheppo4 

I'll get back to you later today when I can view the screenshots on my PC.

Keith

Message 12 of 51

Hi Geheppo4,

Have you tested with a different router? We can send another wifi hub to test with if you like, to rule out any issues with your current one

Chris

Geheppo4
Conversation Starter
Message 13 of 51

Well guys I am back again with this problem of my internet dropping off. 

I have run some test as Keith suggested to find out which bandwidth is the better of the 2 but still it drop off.

I have even shut down the 2.4Ghz side of the router so that I am only using the 5Ghz band width but still it drops off and it seem to be more often than it did with the 2.4Ghz bandwidth !

I even switched over to the 2.4Ghz bandwidth after switching of the 5Ghz side but that did not improve my connection 

It still appears to me that both my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bandwidths are interfering with each other rather than other wi-fi networks in my area interfering with them'

Screenshot (93).pngScreenshot (97).pngScreenshot (98).png5Ghz bandwidth  only5Ghz bandwidth only

0 Likes

Message 14 of 51

Hi Geheppo4

Thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 15 of 51

Fine thanks Debbie 

Just running some tests on the 5Ghz bandwidth and setting all my devices to run on it as Keith suggested instead of the 2.4Ghz bandwidth to see if my connection is stable and does not drop out like it does with the 2.4Ghz band 

I will test it out over the following week and get back to Keith and let him see the graph from Acrylic to see if it has improved my connection

Message 16 of 51

Hi Geheppo4

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 17 of 51

All but my Samsung Galaxy J4 phone connects to the 5Ghz band of my router.

I do know that when both myself and my wife both use our Kindle Fire HD10 devices that they both auto connect to the 5Ghz band

We both also have Samsung Galaxy A tabs that are connected to the 2.4Ghz when they are on but will connect to the 5Ghz if need be. 

We also have 2 smart tv's that connect to the routers 2.4Ghz band when they are in use but they also can be changed to the 5Ghz 

All these device appear to be keeping a god connection when we use them, I do know that my wife's phone when it is connected to the 5Ghz band as a slow link speed of just 6mbps but she does not use it for the internet!

I will certainly give each device a try on the 5Ghz band and if it proves to be okay will remove the 2.4Ghz from each device 

0 Likes

Message 18 of 51

It would seem that your 2.4GHz band is too congested with other WiFi networks to obtain a reliable connection, whatever channel you use. Do all of your devices support the 5GHz band & if so, how is the performance with them all on the 5G band?

Keith

Geheppo4
Conversation Starter
Message 19 of 51

Hi Keith,

I did as you suggested and left my router dedicated to channel 6 for a few weeks to see if there was any difference but alas there was none and it keeps dropping of every now and then.

Here are my latest screen-prints of the Acrylic software.

Correct me if I am wrong but looking at the graphs of all the screen-prints it seems to me that both my 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz bandwidths are clashing with each other, could this be right and causing my connection to drop out.

I took the screen shots at different dates and times from 25/08/2019 to 07/09/2019 =, hope they are acceptable and we can finally find the cause to my problem 

Kind Regards 

George 

Screenshot (73).pngScreenshot (74).pngScreenshot (75).pngScreenshot (76).pngScreenshot (77).pngScreenshot (78).pngScreenshot (79).pngScreenshot (80).pngScreenshot (81).pngScreenshot (82).pngScreenshot (83).pngScreenshot (86).pngScreenshot (87).pngScreenshot (88).pngScreenshot (89).pngScreenshot (90).pngScreenshot (91).pngScreenshot (93).pngScreenshot (94).pngScreenshot (95).pngScreenshot (96).png

0 Likes

Message 20 of 51
No the channel stays at 6 and the router does not change it
I changed it myself to check if there was any difference in it dropping of bur it was still the same!
I will do as you suggest and leave on channel 6 and see if it is any better
0 Likes