Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Connection Dropping off on Laptop

Geheppo4
Conversation Starter
Message 51 of 51

Hi Guys 

I am back with the same old problem, My internet connection to my laptop keeps dropping off when I leave my laptop for 30 minutes or so and I have to keep reconnecting it1

I have run update checks on my laptop and even looked to see if there is a better driver for my network adapter and run diagnostics on my laptop for problem with my connection but everything comes back running smoothly.

This always occurs when I move my laptop from the area I normally work in to my rear bedroom where my charger is situated to put my laptop on charger but when I do that I am directly above my router!

Can some one help me with this or suggest some thing that might help correct this 

0 Likes
50 REPLIES 50

Message 41 of 51

You have not answered my power management question though. There was a large bug fix update the other day bringing your OS Build to 18362.267. Try that to see if it fixes the problem.

Once all of the above has been addressed as they are PC specific, then we can look at the possibility of interference.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 42 of 51

Hi Keith 

I already replied to your previous post but here are my laptop specs again and I just checked them today 

Windows 10 Home 64 bit x64 processor with intel core i5-7200u CPU 16gb Ram Version 1903 installed 17/3/2019 OS Build 18365.1

0 Likes

Message 43 of 51

Assuming that this laptop has a dual band WiFi adapter in it, it is very bad practice to always have it connect to the 2.4GHz band. This band suffers greatly from interference compared to the 5GHz one &a in a lot of cases now is unusable for this reason. I can help a lot with this issue if you want it.

However, before going down that route, please can you answer my other question about power management . V1903 is known to make some WiFi adapters have an intermittent connection.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 44 of 51

Hi Keith,

Well I always check to see which band my devices are connected to and always try to keep them connected to the 2.4Ghz band of my router and my laptop says it is always connected o the 2.4Ghz SSID.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series (5567 t0 b3 exact ) running Windows 10 Home 64 bit x64 processor with intel core i5-7200u CPU 16gb Ram Version 1903 installed 17/3/2019 OS Build 18365.1

The problem Just started a few weeks ago after I contacted the community about all my devices losing their internet connection and corrected everything I was told could be causing the problem then this happened with the laptop

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 45 of 51

Hi @Geheppo4 

Before considering general issues such as interference, the laptop could be connecting to a different band to other devices. Other things include is power management disabled on the WiFi adapter, are you running Windows 10 & if so, has it only started happening since upgrading to the May 2019 update (1903)?

Keith

Message 46 of 51

Hi Geheppo4,

Thanks for confirming this. @KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any additional advice?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 47 of 51

Yes it is only the laptop that I am having the problem with all our other devices seem fine 

I don't have any wired devices because of where my router is situated1

I have run diagnostics on my laptop and everything comes up without any errors, even done a update search to see if I am missing any critical updates for my network adapter on my laptop and I am running the latest version 

0 Likes

Message 48 of 51

Hi Keith,

It is the TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub version SG4K10002600t

No I do not have any wired devices because of where my router is situated

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 49 of 51

Hi Geheppo4,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection looks stable. Is it only the laptop that you have to re-connect? Are all other wired devices ok?

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 50 of 51

Please can you elaborate by answering these few questions:-

1. What make/model of router do you have (if this is a TalkTalk router, these details will be on a label on the rear or underside of it) and what firmware version is it running?
2. If you have any wired connections, are they affected in the same way as wireless ones?

Keith