cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet Dropping Out Regularly, Particularly Late At Night.

15 REPLIES 15
R2223
Team Player

After around midnight on Saturday, Sunday and Monday my internet has been dropping out then coming back online every 10-20 mins or so often like clockwork. The router dashboard has shown its not connected to the internet (ADSL down) when this happens. In the daytime it seems more stable but it doesn't seem to be able to stay connected for more than a few hours.

I have rebooted my router and devices, still have the same issue. Talk Talk's online service test stated there is a fault on the line. Could someone please check this for me to see if there are any issues with my line or the exchange. Does TalkTalk carry out maintenance or something at those times of the night?

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi R2223,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your service. I can see from the line history that your connection has been very unstable 

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

R2223
Team Player

Thank you for the quick response,

I have 3 phone sockets in my house, one master and 2 extensions. A telephone is plugged into one and the router into another both with micro filters. There is no massive noise on the line as far as I can tell, maybe a little bit of crackling at times but its not noticeable, the telephone functions fine. Everything is where it has always been, nothing has been changed or moved recently.

Community Team

Thanks for the information 

Do you have another router you can test with?

Chris

R2223
Team Player

Yes I do, I will be able to plug it in to test tomorrow. Would that make any difference though if the line is having difficulties?

Community Team

If your master socket has a Test Socket then it's probably best to test with your router connected to the test socket first then if the connection is still dropping try the other router

Chris

R2223
Team Player

I have now removed the master socket face plate and plugged my current router into the test socket. I cannot leave it like this for an extended time because none of the phones in the house can currently be used. 

Is there anything I should be looking out for or whilst it is plugged in like this? I have used the router where it was previously for years and only had the occasional issue but not constant drop outs like I have been having the past few days.

Community Team

Hi R2223,

Thanks for confirming this. Could you bump your thread (request an update) tomorrow and we can re-check the connection stats to see how the stability compares. You can also connect a phone to the microfilter if you still need access to the voice service during this time.

Thanks

R2223
Team Player

The router has been connected to the test socket for over 24 hours now, just requesting the update as stated.

Community Team

Hi R2223

I can still see re connections on the line, is the router still connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

R2223
Team Player

No, yesterday evening I moved it back to where it had been previously because I cannot get a reliable Wi-Fi signal from where the master socket is. It was plugged into the test socket till I posted my reply in this thread.

I have used routers in this location for nearly a decade but only recently I have been getting regular drop outs. It is mostly stable in the day but has issues late at night, I don't know if for the hours it was connected to the test socket if that made any difference.

Community Team

Hi R2223,

Have you tested with the other router?

Chris

R2223
Team Player

No I haven't, I just performed the 24 hour test with my current router.

Community Team

Hi R222,

How has it been over the weekend? If the connection is still dropping can you try the other router 

Thanks

Chris

R2223
Team Player

It has been unstable all weekend but there is definitely a pattern with it dropping multiple times nearly always after midnight. If there was some internal issue surely it would be an all hours problem.

I will give the other router a go and see if that makes any difference.

Community Team

Thanks for the update (it still can be an internal problem even if it's not all hours). Please let us know how you get on with the other router

Chris