cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet Issues

Problem Solver

As you may have guessed I have had a problem with DNS servers etc. a while back. Not exactly the same as yours (different router) but in the same ballpark. For me, all DNS servers behaved in the same way. Change DNS, reboot router and then everything worked for an indeterminate period of time, and then with no warning everything stopped. But when I "fixed" the Google server address in my Windows devices everything worked fine and I have not had any issues since.

I (along with a lot of other people) permanently use the Google (or OpenDNS) DNS servers. You do lose the ability to use TT's network based functions, Homesafe, Kidsafe and Scam protection etc. - none of which I use - so no lose there.

But definitely a strange one.

Good luck.

Whizz Kid

Thing for me with this is, it has always worked with no problems,(with the exception last year when the router actually did go faulty), TalkTalk online chat people just want to blame equipment in the house as the issue and won't look much safer.  This is even the case once you are connected to the test port on the BT Socket with only one device hardwired.

Problem with Google Servers is I don't really like adding to the information and power Google have with the data they collect, will now wait to see what TalkTalk tech suggests before moving forward.

I only have a 4Mb internet connection, don't usually do a lot of internet stuff at home, but it has always been stable before.  At a guess it may be with increased daily usage, people furloughed and working at home that traffic is getting queued somewhere and those on lower speeds are getting affected more than would normally be noticed.  When internet stops responding, if I leave a web page long enough to does end up timing out.

My main office computer always has statically assigned IP address along with my printer and server and I modify the router DHCP on the router to not give out the addresses after .199 as I use the .247, .248 and .249 as static IP addresses therefore always have lots of static safe addresses if I am testing any new systems.  All other devices pickup from the router DHCP Settings.

In any case thanks for suggestions.

Problem Solver

I think the extra traffic being generated by more people working from home may not be relevant.

A couple of weeks back BT stated that the peak daily traffic (with everyone working from home) was only around 60% of the peak when everyone is in work. Normally everyone would rush home and everyone would hit the internet in the early evening. Now the load is more evenly spread throughout the day. However if that were the issue I would suspect that you would expect to see really poor performance - not zero performance.

One of the strange things is that you are seeing this behaviour across multiple routers - which would suggest (as I think you said earlier) that this may not be router problem.

As for Google potentially collecting data - I think that boat has already sailed !  And if Google hasn't captured it then Microsoft all most certain will have 😁.

Have you had a look at the Quad9 DNS offering ? Potentially offers better security and in theory at least less data collection.

But the problem I had, and you may potentially have is how much effort do TT put into solving a problem which appear to only efffect one person and for which there is a workaround.

Whizz Kid

Catch 22 here, there are quite a few posts on the forum at the moment with people having the same issue to myself, internet working then not etc..  so hopefully they will resolve whatever it is causing the fault.

If they don't I will be leaving it on Google DNS but with children growing up, I will want to take advantage of the Kids Safe system soon.

At present they don't understand internet use and only use it with us there to do school bits but as soon as they start using it alone, I would want Kids Safe turned on.

Community Star

You have no possible basis for stating that any other poster's issue is the same as yours. Just use Google DNS seems to be a simple solution, especially as you seem to be on a long AFSL line. Is FTTC fibre not available in your area? 

Whizz Kid

Ferguson, I have asked you not to post on my post, me communicating with other members is non of your business and also the DNS servers I choose to use is non of your business.

TalkTalk, Techs, management, can you sort this member out.

I will be forwarding this message also to TalkTalk Customer Complaints also.

PS I dont need Fibre, standard internet is more than enough for our use, unless you wish to pay the difference for me to have it.

Community Star

You should read the community guidelines. I am posting on your thread with relevant contributions. You are posting on others with spam. If you do have FTTC available you will find that it costs little if any extra these days. Although if you are prepared to accept a 4 meg ADSL line which you state is enough for your needs then I genuinely don't see what your problem is.

Finally, in the sprit of helpfulness, there are other third-party DNS servers available if you don't want to use Google, OpenDNS chief amongst them.

Whizz Kid

TalKTalk

Can you sort this member ferguson out, they cannot themselves, I have specifically asked them to stop posting on my post for my problem.

The member has said I have spammed others, when I have actually just communicated with other members who can if they like ask me not to communicate with them.

The member suggests I just use other DNS Servers however that would lose me TalkTalk Services such as kids safe.

If you can ban the user from posting on my post that would be helpful.

I will be forwarding this message to TalkTalk Customer Complaints and it will also be sorted for use when discussing my complaint with the ADR Scheme

Community Star

You could have mentioned your need to use HomeSafe etc. earlier with another poster, why didn't you? 

I would wait for the support team to advise further now, any further posts will only delay a reply.

Whizz Kid

TalKTalk, again

Can you sort this member ferguson out, they cannot control themselves, I have specifically asked them to stop posting on my post for my problem yet they continue to do this anyway.

I will be forwarding this message to TalkTalk Customer Complaints and it will also be sorted for use when discussing my complaint with the ADR Scheme

Community Star

Read the community guidelines before posting again.

Whizz Kid

TalKTalk, yet again

Can you sort this member ferguson out, they cannot control themselves, I have specifically asked them to stop posting on my post for my problem yet they continue to do this anyway.

I have specifically asked this user not to post on my problem post but the user just continues and pleases themselves.

Problem Solver

@ferguson wrote:

You could have mentioned your need to use HomeSafe etc. earlier with another poster, why didn't you? 

Post #24 ?

Community Star

Topic locked due to persistent spamming and personal abuse.

OCE please allow new replies once you have answered. 

Community Star

@Garton2019 wrote:

@ferguson wrote:

Post #24 ?

It was edited in after initial posting.

Community Manager - TT Staff

Hey @devereux ,

Welcome to the community, our community is a peer to peer support platform, whilst i appreciate you may not like the opinion of some members, anyone is free to comment on any topic and if you dont like said comment it's best to just ignore them and at the same time respect all members, if you need one to one support then i'd suggest one of our other support channels. 

I've tried to make sense of your issue, basically Google DNS work our dont? I can assure you it;s nothing to do with everyone working from home, our network has been performing very well during the lockdown and is built to always perform at the peak of usage which even with everyone working from home our peak network usage is still of an evening which again we're covering. Last time I checked our daytime peak usage was nowhere near that of the evening peak and as mentioned bu Ferguson "i think it was" most home working doesn't use that much bandwidth and with all major content providers reducing the streaming quality globally bandwitch is less per stream anyway but obviously usage is up and i can assure you we're fulfilling that usage. 

Are you able to share the TalkTalk DNS servers that your actually connecting to when you have issues, you mention that this issue happens even after rebooting and switching between google, are the TT DNS servers always the same ones or are they changing. 

if you can share the DNS with the issues and the sites your trying to access we can investigate and try to replicate, i takei it your able to access these sites when using our DNS via IP address? 

Thanks  

Stephen, Community Manager

Our latest Blog l Share your Ideas l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars l Set your preferences

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Whizz Kid

Morning @StephenF 

I appreciate that the forum is open however when a so called community star abuses their power then this is not acceptable.

I had asked ferguson to stop communicating with me on many occasions, ferguson ignored this request and then locked my post abusing the power the user has been given.  ferguson then deleted a comment I had made on another persons thread, all I was doing was communicating with another member, this is unacceptable and was done after I had asked ferguson to stop communicating with me.

Furthermore after ignoring requests to stop communicating with me, when locking the post, had the nerve to say lock due to personnel comments against themselves.

fergusons behavior is unacceptable and I want something done about this.  ferguson should have ceased communication with me as requested

My internet at present only works correctly when configured to Google DNS, as soon as I change this back to TalkTalk automatically obtain within varying time frames the internet stops responding, I cannot answer the question of which DNS Servers it is using as the router doesn't display this information.

I have not tried websites by IP at this time but if you can tell me gain the information on which DNS servers are in use, I will gladly provide it.

Problem Solver

@devereux 

Hi, another passing thought.

If TT can't get things working correctly with their DNS servers (to allow you to use Kidsafe etc.) then it might be worth having a look at OpenDNS.

Using their DNS server addresses gives you access to the Family Shield range of products. I think these parental controls are the same as you get with Netgear products.

Might be worth some investigation.

Whizz Kid

I will have a look into this if they can't resolve the issue, Thanks

Whizz Kid

@OCE_Karl 

Karl, have you read my post as yet and come up with any solutions.

TalkTalk customer services had also said they would be ringing up to follow up on issue last night (Monday 18th May), as expected, no contact was made, they did not ring as they said they would.