Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Issues

devereux
Whizz Kid
Message 111 of 111

Had major internet issues now since the 14th April 2020.

Firstly, I cannot believe that TalkTalk have completely shutdown customer support by phone.  I understand long call waits due to reduced staff but to shut down altogether for such an essential service????  I work in an essential service and on reduced staff have to keep things going.

Now the issue
Our internet has been intermittently working and then not working for the last month now.
TalkTalk chat team via mobile data chats (which used up all our mobile data) have now sent not 1 but 2 routers to resolve the issue, sent BT Open Reach out twice, once to the exchange and then the 2nd time to the house.  BT Open Reach have confirmed that the line from the BT Box in the house to the exchange is not the issue and that there are no issues with the internal wiring in the house.

I have further tested by plugging the routers directly into the BT Mk4 CL2 Test Port, turned off the routers Wifi to prevent any wireless devices connecting and plugging in the one computer directly into the Router RJ45 Port 1 then 2 then 3 then 4.  With this I have still had the same issues\behaviour.  Internet working then 30 minutes later not working.
During the entire time, the router is showing connected at between 3.2Mb and 3.5Mb varying between each router reboot (we usually 99% of the time when internet is working correctly have a constant 4Mb connection).
When the internet stops working correctly, 99*% of web pages don't load, tried both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome on multiple different devices, page looks like it is going to load, the status just turns to a spinning arrow symbol and then the page just stays white, for some reason the odd website during this time still works with no issues, for example I can always go the www.halifax-online.co.uk and do any internet banking, I can still go to my companies weboutlook internet page and logon to my email but TopCashback, Barclays, Yorkshire Energy, TalkTalk, Ebay, Facebook, Lottery, Google or Google searches from the address bar do nothing.

Got to the point where Chat people are just blaming something in the house as the issue even though BT Open Reach have ruled this out and I have plugged in to the test point with Wifi off and only one device connected having the same problem, have even tried plugging a different one device in (my laptop by network cable) in the router only to have the same issue.

The problem\behaviour is the same on all devices (5 different devices, Android, iPad, iphone and Windows Computer 10 and Windows 10 Laptop).

TalkTalk have reset the router several times to factory defaults which causes the internet to come back on as the router reboots but then go off again.  They have reset the port in the exchange which again caused the internet to come back on and then eventually fail again.

On the 14th April BT Open Reach re-terminated all connections in the street box to be sure that the cabling was not an issue.

Then last night (15th April) I found that my withheld number was not always being withheld after I made a call to a work contact who called me back to say he had missed a call from this number.  By pure luck a TalkTalk person called our house just after this event.  TalkTalk operative admitted that there was a fault that could cause this and then said they were resetting something to fix the fault. At this time my internet was working with no issues but as soon as he said he had reset something my internet again at that exact same point stopped working, following the first 24 hour period of working internet since the 9th May (at which time I had, had a clear 7 day period of working internet).  The TalkTalk engineer then started fault checking equipment in my house, again went through connecting computer directly to router with Wifi turned off etc...... He then reset router to factory defaults because I had changed the Wifi name and that might be causing the issue even though it had not been an issue for 24 hours.  After the router rebooted the internet came on and the operative said he would phone back Monday to check up (counting my chickens for this???)

This was at 1840
At 1846 after the TalkTalk operative had put the phone down, internet stopped working again.  I rebooted the router, it connected at 3.5Mb and internet started working, I left the router at this point plugged into the test port with only the computer wired to the Port 1 on the Router by RJ45 Cat5e Network Cable.
Came back at 2008 to find internet not working, rebooted router and internet connected at 3.2Mb with internet working.
At 2014 internet failed again, rebooted router and it reconnected at 3.5Mb with internet again working.

At 2021 internet failed again, rebooted router and it reconnected at 3.3Mb.  At this point I had a look at what setting were available within the router and found on this router (Super Hub) there is the option to change the DNS Servers so I changed these from obtain automatically to use Google DNS Servers, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

My internet worked for the rest of the evening.  I have this morning set the DNS back to obtain automatically and touch wood the internet is currently working.

Now TalkTalk did at some point confirm that communication with the TalkTalk DNS Servers is Radius authenticated, so my assumption on this is that your Radius servers are not working correctly and are not authenticating connecting.

Looking at Down Detector day after day, TalkTalk have been having major issues for the last month since my issues started, rather than keep coming up with excuses, it is time you fixed this problem.  Looking at todays Down Detector - downdetector.co.uk/status/talktalk/ 95% of issues reported for TalkTalk are internet issues, looking at the live map today there is a bright Yellow Circle around Manchester area, last night when I had the issues it was bright Red.

I demand that this is sorted and if it is not, I demand that a deadlock letter be provided.  I will be forwarding this to Ofcom via the ADR Scheme otherwise. I am currently trying like many others to work from home at this difficult time and the lack of reliable internet connection is making this impossible forcing me to travel to my place of work to continue working.

My account ha my details entered for you to idenitfy me, I look forward to TalkTalk speed recifitfaction of this problem.

Mr Devereux

110 REPLIES 110

Message 1 of 111

Could I please enquire how long it should take for further action to take place following the complaint being passed to the CEO Office.

Following the discussion I had with the CEO office, which is now 8 days ago, I was informed that feedback would be provided back to the Talk Talk Community Managers who would then be in touch with further information of our the complaint may be resolved.

This as not happened as yet so could you let me know the time frame which this should take place within.

Message 2 of 111
Hi Deveraux I was replying to a comment from I8this, sorry for any confusion
0 Likes

Message 3 of 111

@Lorrainef 

@Lorrainef wrote:
Hi there I have sent updates on all necessary information and responded to your posts with all the information we have had at the time, as I'm sure you understand I cannot share everything.

Thanks

Lorraine

Not understanding this comment, can you elaborate please.

Message 4 of 111
Hi there I have sent updates on all necessary information and responded to your posts with all the information we have had at the time, as I'm sure you understand I cannot share everything.

Thanks

Lorraine
0 Likes

Message 5 of 111

@devereux @Nexster 

devereux glad to hear you got somewhere with your internet issue.

@ Both. Seeing as @Debbie-TalkTalk has not replied to me.  I will now begin to compose my complaint to the CEO, this will be the third one I have sent over the last eighteen months or so on this CS. I was fobbed off with replies from the incompetent CEO,s Complaints Office the last time and had replies from this forums managers were the promises they made ultimately proved to be false as this thread and others has proven. I recommend that you ask for all replies from Complaints Office {for your records} be made by email, not over the phone

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile. The Forum Guidelines apply to ALL members there are/should be, NO exceptions. If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all. Now a wizard.

Nexster
Super Duper Contributor
Message 6 of 111

@devereux wrote:

For everyone with an interest in this post

I have had a call from TalkTalk CEO Office from an extremely nice CEO Office staff member.

We discussed the ins and outs of both my technical complaint of lack of internet and complaint of the community star member.

We came to an agreement on the technical complaint and the technical complaint as been closed under mutual agreement.  Thankfully since the 3rd BT engineer has visited on the 28th May and fixed the cable coming into my property, my internet connection has remained stable.

The other side of the complaint was discussed at lengths and some agreement was made on the issue, it is now being pushed forward and I now am awaiting further information regarding how the complaint will be resolved to an acceptable conclusion.

Thanks for the update.

I havent been around but I hadn't lost intrest.

i will be honest and say I havent made my complaint as yet as I wanted to make sure your issues were delt with first and it looks like now your main issue is resolved.

I mean we wouldnt want anyone accusing me of 'baiting' again now would we. 🙄

So now thats sorted I will get my complaint sorted.and keep you updated on any progress.

@StephenFI just wanted to say I thought you did a great job there in supporting the OP in getting a resolution. As I expected you completly ignored his multiple requests from yourself for an update.

A community 'manager' that doesnt manage.

Oh the joys.

Message 7 of 111

For everyone with an interest in this post

I have had a call from TalkTalk CEO Office from an extremely nice CEO Office staff member.

We discussed the ins and outs of both my technical complaint of lack of internet and complaint of the community star member.

We came to an agreement on the technical complaint and the technical complaint as been closed under mutual agreement.  Thankfully since the 3rd BT engineer has visited on the 28th May and fixed the cable coming into my property, my internet connection has remained stable.

The other side of the complaint was discussed at lengths and some agreement was made on the issue, it is now being pushed forward and I now am awaiting further information regarding how the complaint will be resolved to an acceptable conclusion.

Message 8 of 111

@Debbie-TalkTalk wrote:

Hi devereux

I have escalated your complaint to our CEO's Office and a Complaints Manager will contact you to discuss this.

Thanks

Debbie

Thank you Debbie for the update

Message 9 of 111

@Debbie-TalkTalk  As you will see in the thread both Nexster and myself raised the same complaint against this CS. Have you also escalated our complaints to the CEO's Office as any up to date information about our complaints from your managers Stephen and Lorraine are very thin on the ground.

Thanks

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile. The Forum Guidelines apply to ALL members there are/should be, NO exceptions. If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all. Now a wizard.

Message 10 of 111

Hi devereux

I have escalated your complaint to our CEO's Office and a Complaints Manager will contact you to discuss this.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 111

@Karl-TalkTalk 

TalkTalk rang today to discuss the complaint, they have said that the problem was within my house from engineer notes.  I confirmed with them that the engineer repaired the cable coming into the house and that this was not cabling within the house, however the call operator stated that the cable coming into my property, which she said the engineer had repaired is my responsibility.

I know that up to and including the Master BT Socket is the responsibility of the provider.  The engineer visiting the house swapped a pair in the cable from the box outside my property and the same pair in the back of my BT Master socket.

To confirm the engineer did not touch any equipment in my house other than the BT Master Socket during his testing and the fault was corrected at the time he left the property and as per last message, other than the weekend in which it was reported that Talk Talk were having issues, my connection has remained stable at 3.3Mb, this is lower than the usual 4Mb have been getting for the past 2 years but at least it as been stable since engineer visit.

Can you confirm position of deadlock so I can progress this to Ofcom via the ADR Scheme or arrange for the appropriate compensation of 16 days under the ADR Scheme to be paid.

@StephenF 

Can you confirm the complaint against the community star has been progressed to the CEO Office please as per Code of Practice

Message 12 of 111

@OCE_Karl the internet connection seems to have remained stable.  Therefore could you please arrange for the compensation to be paid under the ADR Scheme for the issue I have been having.

Issue restarted on the 10th May (following the 15 day issue I had already had previously) until the engineer visited on the 28th May and resolved a cable issue (with the exception or the day when TalkTalk were reported to have problems with internet services for all on the weekend of the 30th\31st May)

So all in all 18 days for the most recent issue only of the issue being present before being resolved by TalkTalk "touch wood" to arrange compensation for within the ADR Scheme.

@StephenF 

Would like an update on complaint please, if you are not going to provide any further resolution, then please arrange progressing the complaint to the CEO Office.

Message 13 of 111

@TheHornedOne - interesting article, I had not seen this one.

The article does describe same issue I have been having, changing DNS also worked for us until the other day.

Message 14 of 111

If you haven't already done so @devereux, you might care to view this article also ........

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8753-talktalk-appears-slower-than-usual-on-30th-may-2020

~R.

Message 15 of 111

@Karl-TalkTalk For the last couple of days since last post my internet connections seems to have remained stable.

This has occured at the same time as newspaper article

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/talktalk-down-not-working-internet-br...

Maybe linked? - will continue to monitor

@StephenF 

Would like an update on complaint please

Message 16 of 111

@Karl-TalkTalk 

Internet has started to respond again, router connected at 3.3Mb

No change to equipment, www.talktalk.co.uk loading with no issue now.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 111

@Karl-TalkTalk 

Internet slowed to snail pace again

Just come to use internet and response to pages loading very slow, www.talktalk.co.uk page timing out with message "Cannot securely connect to this page"

No changes to equipment being used or router, router showing connected still at 3.3Mb

Message 18 of 111

@Karl-TalkTalk 

Internet responding this morning, left router last night set to auto obtain DNS at end with internet not working/responding.

Not changed anything else.

Internet worked all day yesterday up until last night when it just stopped responding mid use, router was showing connected at the time at 3,1Mb but behaviour was same as experienced before, connection speed this morning is 3.3Mb

Message 19 of 111

@Karl-TalkTalk 

Internet slowed to a stop 20 minutes ago again, rebooted router, it came back on but slowed to snail pace 2 minutes later.

rebooted again and again connected and worked for 2 minutes then slowed to snail pace

so changed back to Google DNS, rebooted and worked but 2 minutes after slowed to snail pace, so now not working with Google DNS either, could I be that unlucky to have been sent 2 faulty routers in a row?

Router showing connected at 3.2Mb, is there a line reset you can try performing to resolve the issue?

StephenF
Community Manager
Message 20 of 111

@I8this  If you could avoid spamming this thread and address any issues to myself and or Lorraine we'll happily investigate. 

@devereux I'll reply to your PM but if we could keep this topic "on topic" and about your line fault that would be great thanks.

Stephen, Community Manager
0 Likes