Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Internet cuts out almost every night around 2-3am

30 REPLIES 30
TommyD
Conversation Starter

This is becoming massively irritating. Not only do I need it stable connection 24/7 for work, but I have raised this on multiple occasions and nothing has been done about it.

I have tried 3 (yes 3) routers and they all do it, including the superrouter one, which I cannot use everyday as it simply cannot handle what I need a router to handle and lacks the functionality I need.

I have raised this before and they 'sent out an engineer' in the day time. Seriously, what good to anyone is that exactly? Its fine in the day time, perfect actually. So would you beleive it, no issues detected. I could have saved you the hastle and told you that.

I ran a diagnostics from my end from my routers (yes 2 different ones, just to confirm) and it reports back critical DHCP issues on your end, and all warning level and critical level errors of this nature all occur around the same times every night, (it disconnects on the critical errors), tonight its been doing it from around 2:30 up to now, (3:31 am), every 10 minutes, and still happenning. I have mentioned all this before but it fell on deaf ears.

This getting to the point I am seriously considering leaving unless something is done within the next 7 days (I feel after almost 3 years of the same issue, I have a right to demand this now), and I will be expecting every penny I have paid for this service back from the moment I first reported this issue approximatly 2.5/3 years ago.

Check the history, check the engineer logs (infact, please do, the last one didnt even show up and charged me anyway. As you can imagine, I was overjoyed about that. However the refund was sent back to me swiftly once they realised the engineer didnt even come to my address as per the engineers work log).

I am putting this on the forums in the public eye for everyone to see, to see how its dealt with, and maybe, just maybe something will actually get done about it. I wont even go into how many other people on the forums and other sites have reported this exact issue with your service, I'll let those concerned do a google.

TommyD
Conversation Starter
aoxm84
Problem Solver

There are a few differences between my issue and yours. For one, the timing of yours corresponds more to the timing of DLM line testing disconnections, whereas mine is before that. Also I get one single disconnection and not multiple ones on the same day.

Have you ever tried ringing your mobile and leaving the line open during the problem time? When I did that the call dropped back to a dial tone. I have anytime calls so this doesn't cost me anything.

Might help with diagnosis, although I'm not getting very far with my own issue either.

TommyD
Conversation Starter

Hi aoxm84, thanks for the reply. The phone line seems to disconnect during these periods as well. The same you you, I dont get a dead line, just a phone line reset not indifferent to yourself. The last time I was in the middle of some development work for a client so you can imagine how thrilled I was. The last time I pushed for a fix they did a couple of DLM resets and some other things, but after the last engineer debacle, I simply gave up - probably shouldn't have.

The internet outside of these times is absolutely outstanding, which is the only reason I'm still a customer. I get an incredibly low ping, expected upload and download speeds, and the most stable connection I've ever had from a provider, it's just this hiccup. With an increased workload its most more of a prevalent nusience now.

I'll post a log of the recent disconnection times in a moment.

TommyD
Conversation Starter

See attached : https://pastebin.com/01x8MB1n

On the 10th May, that was a particularly bad day for it. 12th is the usual state of affairs, but you can see what I mean now atleast. Every single one of those times is a disconnection.

aoxm84
Problem Solver

Same here, aside from the 5th day disconnection the service is fine. I never got a 3 dB noise margin on Sky so my 16 Mbps speed is the best I've had in years. It's a shame really.

Community Team

Hi TommyD,

I'm sorry to hear this. I can see a really high number of re-connections on the line. Is the connection only ever unstable during this time period?

Thanks

TommyD
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

Yes that is correct. It disconnects/becomes unstable most mornings around this time in this fashion. In the daytime, the internet is pretty much perfect.

I've also tried with/without it in the mastersocket, nothing changes. The last visit I had when I reported this, and they aactually showed up, the engineer replaced the phone socket with the newer one with the filter built in, still the same.

Thank you.

Tom

Community Team

Hi Tom

If you have tested with different routers at the test socket then we would need to pass this back to our Network Team. Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

TommyD
Conversation Starter
Yes please if you could.

Thank you.
Community Team

Hi TommyD

I've escalated this fault over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi TommyD

Our Network Team have advised that the SNR is dropping low and this can affect the stability of the connection.

They have optimised your connection and have asked if you could monitor this over the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

TommyD
Conversation Starter
Thanks Debbie I'll keep you posted. Why would this only happen at certain times of night? Is there anything I can do to mitigate it? The connection in the day is flawless.

Thank you.
Community Team

Hi TommyD

The SNR can vary and at times drop low. Testing with different equipment at the test socket will rule out any possible internal wiring or equipment issues.

If this still continues to drop following the line optimisation then I will let our Network Team know.

Thanks

Debbie

TommyD
Conversation Starter

Hi @OCE_Debbie What have they done to my line, its half the speed it was yesterday and my ping has doubled.

I have also previously tested with different routers on the test socket to no avail.

TommyD
Conversation Starter

I have attached my speed test. It has been consistantly 72-74mb for at least the past year prior to what ever they've done. I will need it faster than this later in the week for work.

This matter is now critically urgent.

Can you ask them to remove the cap on my line please?

Community Team

Hi TommyD

Apologies for this.

I've contacted our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Community Team

Hi TommyD

Our Network Team have sent a different router which is due to be delivered today. Please can you run a wired speed test with this router once it arrives?

Thanks

Debbie

TommyD
Conversation Starter

My last post was deleted for some reason?

Anyway, I havent received the new router yet, but my speeds have somewhat returned to normal:

I can work with this. My logs arnt showing any loss in connection since the 12th at 3:50:51am, I just hope it sticks. With the new router I can by all means test it, but I wont be able to leave it plugged in for any period of time. If the network team need to connect to it to run some tests, I will need to know when this is so I can plan around it.

Thanks for your help @OCE_Debbie, its much appreciated.