Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps dropping out

TTC2020
Chatterbox
Message 9 of 9

I have a DLink DSL-3782 router. For the past few days it has been frequently disconnecting from the internet. What normally happens is that I notice that the internet access symbol in my PC notification area will indicate I have no connection. I look over at the router and after a while the router Internet light goes red. I've tried restarting the router but the behaviour continues. Sometimes the connection works fine for a long time (e.g. I was using it all last night with no apparent problems), but eventually it will lose connection again. Sometimes it comes back of its own accord, but often with a connection so poor that I can't use it. After a short while it will drop again. One more thing; if I plug in a computer with an ethernet cable it still doesn't work. It's a strange problem. I wonder whether anyone can help me with it? Thanks.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi

Replacement router on the way for testing.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 2 of 9

Hi Debbie. Perhaps you better had send out a router. I thought I had a good workaround when I set my router internet configuration to Always On (it had originally been set to On Demand). That worked fine for a couple of days, but now it's playing up again. Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hi TTC2020

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I think we should send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 9

Lost connection again at about 2130.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

18 minutes later and it seems to have fixed itself again. Fingers crossed.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Okay. Last night I updated my profile with name, landline and alternative number. My connection then fixed itself, which it has been doing off and on. I have been home this evening. My connection has just dropped again (at about 2020), so I'm back to using my phone as a router. The TalkTalk router says the uptime was 3 hours 28 minutes 9 seconds, which probably corresponds to when I got back in and my phone got onto the wi-fi. I'd be very appreciative if someone from TalkTalk could shed some light on this, because I'm stumped. Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 9

Thanks. I went to the Service Centre and did a test on my line earlier on. It didn't find any problems with my line but told me I needed to check my set-up at home. I followed the procedure it gave me and ultimately it asked me to restart my router, which I did. After that it worked fine for hours, but it has now dropped the connection yet again at 2205 (I'm using my phone as a router now). I will therefore follow your advice so I can get some help from TalkTalk staff.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Hi @TTC2020 ,

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to do a test on your phone line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault on your line that might be causing your router to keep losing connection. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site.

Also, if you have a landline phone can you check to see if that is working normally (i.e. you have a clear dial tone and no noise on the line).

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile.

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a day or two.