Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet not working. DSL light flashing

laurenqw
First Timer
Message 24 of 24

I have no internet connection. I’ve tried tuning my hun and router off and leaving for 20 minutes as suggested. No joy. 
the DSL light flashes and intermittently on the router, so I assume this is an issue with the Master Socket!? I have tried taking the front of this off and using the test port, but I have no idea what I’m doing and the instructions online don’t make this easy.
have tried talk talk live chat, but it seems to be unavailable. 

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Hi laurenqw,

How are you getting on, have you received the new router?

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 2 of 24

Sorry, but being a mere fibre 65 pauper, I have never seen the modem & can't answer that question.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 24

Yes it was!

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 4 of 24

@laurenqw Was the Openreach modem installed as part of a recent upgrade?

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 5 of 24

@laurenqw , I've no idea if the Openreach modem is a generic device or has to be flashed with ISP specific firmware, maybe one of our esteemed Community Stars such as @KeithFrench or @ferguson will be able to answer that question.

There are a few for sale on the usual marketplace sites and I see they have a RESET button on the back, you could try pressing and holding that for 30 seconds.

I am not up to speed on Fibre 150, but if you have a spare microfilter you could remove the master socket faceplate, connect that into the test socket and then the ADSL cable from the filter to the modem and see if it works.

However I am unsure if a standard microfilter will work with g.fast Fibre 150, but it won't break anything ! 

You could also try a different cable from the master socket to the modem.

However, as I said previously, you really need to see if the phone line is working and test with a handset, so try to do that.

What happens when you call your home number from a mobile ?

Any error message or do you hear a ring tone even without your home line having a handset plugged in ?

Message 6 of 24

I am on a fibre 150 contract. 
I’d just buy a new openreach modem if I could (can I!?). That would be less painful that waiting potentially a whole week to get this fixed. 

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 7 of 24

@laurenqw  if the HUB does not solve your issue, an Openreach visit will be required to investigate whether it is a line issue or a faulty modem, therefore, to get the correct engineer booked the staff here really do need to know if the phone line is working properly.

Please confirm you are on a Fibre 150 or 250 contract.

If an engineer is required, that can take up to 72 hours from when it is booked so be prepared for further frustration after the weekend if the new HUB does not help.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 24

@Karl-TalkTalk @martswain @@How do I get a new open reach  modem then? As I do not have a phone to test and the remote tests have shown no issue with the line. 

also, @martswain @thanks for your help. I don’t know why I wasn’t given this information in the first place. Such a waste of time. 

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 9 of 24

@laurenqw , if that is the case, it would suggest the Openreach Modem or the incoming line is the issue, so a replacement HUB is not likely to solve your problem.

You really need to plug in a phone and see if there is a dial tone and whether dialing 17070 gets a readback of the correct number.

However, staff support ends very soon for today and they won't normally be back until Monday unless someone is doing weekend OT.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 24

0424B826-6711-43D2-9355-9E841577FB08.jpeg

@martswain  these are the two pieces of equipment I have. The red light on the ‘talk talk’ black box is steady. The green DSL light on the ‘open reach’ white box is flashing and the INTERNET light on the open reach white box is off

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 11 of 24

@laurenqw  you mention router and HUB in your OP, the HUB is a router which is a bit confusing

Do you actually have Fibre 150 with a MODEM connected to the incoming phone line and then the TT HUB ?

TT do offer compensation for total loss of service, see the article on Automatic Compensation, but not for any consequential losses on a home broadband contract, so if you need to work you'll have to buy data and tether to your phone.

If it is working on and off suggest you check your socket for damage and if you have spare cables, replace them.

0 Likes

laurenqw
First Timer
Message 12 of 24

@Karl-TalkTalk Sorry, but how am I mean to work without internet for 2 days (it’s already been a full day)? 

Isn’t there anything I can try? It just works one minute and stops the next!?

is there a customer services number I can call? None of my neighbours have a telephone handset (nor does anyone I know, for that matter) and I can’t wait another 2 days for this to be fixed.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 24

Hi

Usually delivered in 24 - 48hrs.

If possible, I would recommend, to borrow a handset from a friend or neighbour for 2 minutes, just to see if there is a clear dial tone.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

laurenqw
First Timer
Message 14 of 24

@Karl-TalkTalk @How long will this take? 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 24

Hi

A router is on the way to you to see if this has failed.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

laurenqw
First Timer
Message 16 of 24

@Karl-TalkTalk @Sadly I have neither a handset nor an alternative router, and I still have no connection. The DSL light just flashes slow then fast then stop completely, and the light on the hub is red. 
can an engineer be sent to fix this? I work from home and haven’t been able to do anything today. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 24

Hi Lauren,

All tests are clear, not seeing an issue remotely.

Do you have access to another router for testing ?  One can be provided if needed.

If possible, are you able to borrow a handset to see if there is a dial tone on the line ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 18 of 24

I did read it, @laurenqw, but couldn't follow your meaning about drilling down. The Profile Wizard normally saves by simply clicking "finish", whereas if you use the drop down menu for Personal Information, you do then have to click "save".

I use my mobile 99% of the time and don't ever have trouble with that area (though plenty elsewhere) so you may simply be encountering a temporary glitch.

Whatever is causing it, it is against forum rules to display private information. In order to protect your own data this information simply must not be displayed in the thread.

I am sure @Karl-TalkTalk will find some sort of workaround for you. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 19 of 24

Hi Lauren

I've got your number from your profile and am looking at this now.

I'll reply back soon with my findings.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 20 of 24

It’s clear you didn’t read my reply. Profile wizard is not optimised for mobile use, and I can’t complete my profile. 

0 Likes