cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Is Talk Talk uk blocking my computer game?

31 REPLIES 31
Participant

Hi all. I've been trying to play a computer game (Warhammer online. Return of Reckoning) and no matter what I do (re installing, hotspot ) it just wont connect to game server. I used a 4g dongle and it connects and I took computer to family members house and it works (virgin broadband). People have tried to tell me it was possibly being blocked but can't seem to get an answer from TalkTalk. Don't really want to change ISP for one game as everything else is working fine but feel there should be a solution somewhere.

Any advice would be fantastic.

Thanks 

Community Star

Hi @Tonzy81 

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Tonzy81,

I'm sorry to hear this. Do you receive any error messages when you're unable to connect? Have you tried switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then retested this again?

Thanks

Participant

Hello. yeah i've tried that. Tried turning off fire walls, kids safe and home safe. It works perfectly when not connected to my internet. The message after it won't connect to game server is " Authentication failed-- application will now terminate"

Thank you

Participant

Hello. Thank you will update profile now. I have tried online chat and was told there was nothing i could do as the internet was still working so it was not a talk talk problem.

Thank you

Community Star

It sounds to me like a username/password error between the software on your device & the game server on the internet.

I think you need to take this up with the internet site concerned and possible do a password recovery if they offer this. It really does not seem like a TalkTalk issue at all.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Participant

Would that happen even tho when i take my computer to a different place and use a 4g connection of my phone the game runs fine?

Community Star

Can you provide any screenshots of this error?

Keith

Participant

This comes up after 30 seconds of the game trying to connect to the server. Game then freezes.

Community Star

You seem to have forgotten to add the screenshot. Can you give the web site address of this game's support site?

Keith

Participant
This is the link to game support. The screen shot is on the desktop, will try again when I'm back home.

https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19575
Participant

ScreenshotScreenshot

Community Star

Thanks, reading through that, you first connect to something called a "lobby" port and then you have to connect to the game server port. It says:-

Firewall/ISP is blocking game server port (different from lobby server port 8048)

So what port number is this game server port & is it over TCP or UDP, or is it dynamically assigned by the lobby session?

Please can you find out, then I will try to find out if the router's firewall blocks it in an outgoing direction or not?

Keith

Participant

Please see attached Keith.

Good and Bad logs (Good from Virgin Broadband, Bad from talktalk connection).

My PC does work fine on Virgin, so seems to be a problem with my talktalk router or ISP blocking the IP / Port.

Any help appreciated.

Community Star

That may well be the case that TT is blocking the game server port as both seem to connect to the "lobby" port 8048. However, what these logs don't tell me is what is the TCP or UDP game server port.

You will need to find this out from the game manufacturer, then once I know the port I can try & verify if the port is blocked. I can't do this if I don't know the port details.

As I said in a previous post where is the game server port located, is it on some internet based Warhammer server, or is it is port on your Warhammer application on your device?

Keith

Participant

Participant

Hi, Sorry for late reply. Been trying to find the answers to your questions while not really understanding them 🙂

Someone pointed me to these threads on game forum.

Thanks

Community Star

TCP port 80 (along with 443) are the main ports used by all browsers. There is no way that it is blocked by TalkTalk. However, I will now pass this over to the OCEs in case the URL is in a blocked list or something. 

Keith

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Tony,

Can you log into the router and change the DNS to 8.8.8.8  &  8.8.4.4

Then retest.  You mention you have tested the game on your phone over 4g.

Once the DNS is changed can you also test the game from your phone via the wifi / talktalk router.  This will check from a 2nd dive over the talktalk connection.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Participant

Hello.

I changed settings like you said. i thought it was fixed but it still wont work when using my internet. Only when i use 4g through my phone.

Thanks