cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Is it a bad idea to switch my router off every night?

1 REPLY 1
Chatterbox

Hello,

When I was with BT I would always switch my router off for the following reasons;

1 - Save energy (not much, but it all adds up)

2 - Reduce wireless radiation in my house overnight!

I didn't ever have any issues doing this - speed was always consistently about 37 Mbps

With the new Talk Talk Router is it true I should keep it switched on 24 hrs a day?

Would switching it off overnight somehow cause connection/speed issues?

The chat support team say that this is the case.

Thoughts?

Final question, just had a line fault fixed, prior to that was getting 40 Mbps, now after the fix it's 10 Mbps - will it settle down and speed up??

Thank you.

Howard.

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

Speed will drop if you turn the router off for extended periods.

The DLM system will look at the line and in addition at looking at connection drops each houre, will also look at no sync (router off) in excess of one hour.  The system will then lower the line rate and make adjustments to try to restore the connection.

If the speed has dropped I would suggest leaving the router powered on over the next 48hrs to see if speed is restored.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE