cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Is it possible to get your line moved to a closer green cabinet?

Philosopher

@jackieh2009 

`the guaranteed minimum speed is only 6.5Mg with my distant green cabinet.`

That,s pathetic, even for fibre, after what Gondola said in your other thread `The street cabinet is just under 2km from your home and the speed range would suggest you're likely to get better than 10Mbps, probably 15Mbps with an upgrade to Faster Fibre.`          here,s hoping that during the change over you get moved to the nearer green box. Are you out in the sticks, miles away from a major town.

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile. The Forum Guidelines apply to ALL members there are/should be, NO exceptions.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Jackie

Thanks for your reply.

I have posted on your other threads.

Debbie 🙂

Highlighted
Insightful One

Morning I8this,

I live in a village which is now part of a town and my house was built in 1895. I presume that there weren’t so many houses when the phone lines were first installed. I presume the cabinet at the end of my road was installed many years later as much newer house were built around me. It is across the road so I can’t imagine they can move my line without digging up the road but I still wanted to ask the question.

Regards,

Jackie

Just A Cheshire Kid In Elegant Heels (2009 pairs in stock) © SD, 2009
Highlighted
Philosopher

Morning Jackie

That goes some way into answering the question on how long your present phone line length probably is. My brother who lives in Gresford near Wrexham has a similar problem to yours with low speeds, although Gresford has a repeater phone exchange, I will have to tell him about these ofcom regs. As to the way the cables are run, BT generally have buried conduits/pipework already between the exchange and the green boxes so I really can not see any digging work being needed  it,s just a case of running new cable through them. On the estate were I live we used to have the old type of BT,s green box but that was done away with when fibre first came out and the new box is less than half a mile away from me now, with the exchange and line length being about a mile. So I get a download speed around the 46 to 50 Mbits mark and upload around 10Mbits.

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile. The Forum Guidelines apply to ALL members there are/should be, NO exceptions.
Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi I8this,

What I meant is that the copper cables come down the road next to mine on my side and then turn into my road. I know this because the engineers had to go down a ‘pit’ when my line failed. The closer box is on the opposite side of this road and is newer so they would have to lay a cable across that road to my road. It isn’t going to happen 😞

Anyway, lets see what part cable does 🙂

Regards,

Jackie

Just A Cheshire Kid In Elegant Heels (2009 pairs in stock) © SD, 2009