cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Is it possible to get your line moved to a closer green cabinet?

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi Guys,

I appreciate that no one can say whether this is physically possible, but wonder if there is a process to ask Openreach if it is possible?

Thanks,

Jackie

Just A Cheshire Kid In Elegant Heels (2009 pairs in stock) © SD, 2009
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Jackie,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. As far as I'm aware there is no process to request a move to a closer/different green cabinet. I believe that this may only be done as part of a fault investigation and would be determined by Openreach as part of resolving/investigating a fault.

Are you experiencing any issues with your connection?

Thanks 🙂

Highlighted
Insightful One

Morning Michelle,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I am having trouble with my broadband, but I have an open topic which Debbie has been helping me with.

I just find it so frustrating that I have rubbish speeds from a cabinet that is 2.5km away when there is a cabinet at the end of my road!

Will I be able to make this request under the Ofcom March 2020 USO rules?

Regards,

Jackie

Highlighted

Hi Jackie,

Ah I see. If the fault does end up going out for an engineer investigation then this may be something they check as part of their investigations.

Thanks

Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi Michelle,

Thanks, but does anyone know whether moving to a closer cabinet is something that would be possible under the Ofcom March 2020 USO rules?

Regards,

Jackie

Highlighted

Hi Jackie,

Sorry I missed your question. I'll try and find out and will let you know.

Thanks

Highlighted
Philosopher
@Jackie2009
If my memory is correct I seem to recall that another member had this done as there was capacity in the cabinet nearer to him/her.
If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile. The Forum Guidelines apply to ALL members there are/should be, NO exceptions.
Highlighted
Insightful One

Morning Michelle,

I wondered if you have any information for me please?

Thanks and regards,

Jackie

Highlighted

Hi Jackie,

I'm sorry but I don't think this is something that we can arrange. If we do a cease and reprovide it would probably only result in you being without service for around 21 days and there's every possibility that you would end up being connected to the same cab that you're connected to now

Chris

Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply.

But what about the new regs that come into play in March?

If you look at my predicted speeds for both fast and fibre you will see that they both fall below the 10mg downstream and 1mg upstream minimums set out by the Ofcom March 2020 USO?

Regards,

Jackie

Highlighted

Hi Jackie,

Have you thought of upgrading to fibre, it should give you faster speeds

Chris

Highlighted
Philosopher

@jackieh2009 

Sorry if it seems I misled you, from your and OCE Chris,s replies it would seem you are on standard broadband were as the member I mentioned in my previous reply was on Fibre Broadband.

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile. The Forum Guidelines apply to ALL members there are/should be, NO exceptions.
Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi Chris,

There are two reasons I have not already moved to fibre. The last time two Openreach engineers were at my house I asked them about it and they said I am so far away from the green box, about 2.5km, that it would make very little difference.

The second reason is when I use the TT Broadband Availability Checker it says I am only guaranteed 5.9Mb.

This is why I am asking if my line could be moved to the green box at the end of my road.

This is why I am asking if moving to a closer cab would be possible under the Ofcom March 2020 USO

Regards,

Jackie

Highlighted

Hi Jackie

I can raise this to our Complaints Team to see if they can arrange this with Openreach but I can't guarantee that Openreach will complete this work.

Would you like me to raise this over to the Complaints Team to discuss further?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Insightful One

Morning Debbie,

Yes please! That would be great.

Thanks and regards,

Jackie

Highlighted

Hi Jackie

I have raised this over to the team and a Complaints Manager will contact you to discuss this further.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi Debbie,

Just to let you know......the CEO’s office have told me that the Provisions Department, I think it is called, have no process for requesting a cabinet move. They said to contact Openreach directly, which I did today, and they confirmed that I could not make such a request. It would only take place if initiated by an Openreach engineer whilst fixing/installing a service.

Thank you, anyway, for all your help.

Regards,

Jackie

Highlighted
Philosopher

@jackieh2009 

That,s a shame, I dare say that had you been a BT customer they would have done it. BT are very reluctant to do much to sort other providers problems requests out.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@jackieh2009 

From what you said earlier you are below that 10Mbit/s speed as mentioned in the USO rules, so give a try again in March and then see what BT has got to say for themselves

Homes and businesses will only be eligible to receive a USO connection if they currently cannot receive an affordable service with download speeds of at least 10 Mbit/s and upload speeds of 1 Mbit/s from any existing networks, if they are not due to receive such a service from a publicly-funded scheme in the year following their request, and the cost of connection is not more than £3,400.

The Government set these minimum speeds for the USO when it introduced legislation in March 2018.

Ofcom’s research shows 10Mbit/s is the speed currently needed to meet an average household’s digital needs. This allows multiple users to use the internet at the same time, including web browsing, video streaming, video calling and gaming. However, we are aware these minimum speeds will need to increase over time.

Ofcom will review aspects such as these speeds when 75% of UK premises have taken up superfast broadband.

Highlighted
Insightful One

Hi I8this,

I would have to be a BT customer as they are the USO if I wanted to argue the Ofcom March 2020 initiative to get my line moved. TT gave me an exit fee quote today but when I looked at the cost of BT I decided to just move to fibre even though the guaranteed minimum speed is only 6.5Mg with my distant green cabinet. If part fibre improves my stability and speed for a couple of pounds a month then I will be a lot happier.

Regards,

Jackie