Did you mean: 
Need help?

Issues with VPN and SSH

24 REPLIES 24
neowaseem
Popular Poster

Hi

I use VPN's to access client servers.

Since moving to TalkTalk I am unable to use the VPN properly. It lets me connect to the VPN but i cant ping servers or SSH into them.It gives me the same thing as if i wasn't connected to the VPN. 

If i use my 4G data (not talk talk) and connect to the VPN I can then ping and SSH as normal. 

I have also tried it on another WIFI network and it works fine so just something to do with my local setup. 

I had issues with TeamViewer as well whcih were fixed with turning Scam settings off. However it has not fixed this VPN issue 

I have read old posts on the forum and not found a solution. I have looked at routher settings and made sure IPSEC and L2TP are allowed through. 

I am using a MAC (although i have tried with Windows machine too ) and using Shimo as the VPN client. 

Any ideas ?

Waseem
Community Team

Hi

Have you tried changing the DNS server specified in the router ?

Try google - 8.8.8.8  /  8.8.4.4

See if this will let you connect to other resources when connected to VPN.

Thanks

Karl. 

neowaseem
Popular Poster

Sorry I should have said i have tried that and no joy

Waseem
Community Team

Hi

Is the mac direct to the router or using WiFi,  Can you try both methods when using VPN to confirm ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Community Team

Hi

If you start your own thread (new message), wed love to help.

Weve found that posting in someone elses conversation makes it harder to follow when looking for an answer.

Its easier and quicker if we can chat with you in a single thread, if you start your own thread, that will keep our community organised and help others with a similar problem.

Check your home phone number or account number are also added to your Community Profile as that will really help us to find your details quicker.

Thanks

Karl

neowaseem
Popular Poster
I have tried it all. I have connected straight into the Router via Ethernet cable and I get the same issue. I have tried Wi-fi and the same issue

Waseem
Community Team

Hi

OK, this is a strange one.  I'll contact our product manager to see if he has any ideas.

Karl.

Community Team

Hi

Our product manager is raising this with Sagemcom for them to look into this.

He has also requested I get a Huawei router out to you so this can also be tested to see if this will work.

This is on the way.

Thanks

Karl. 

neowaseem
Popular Poster
Thank you very much. I am still trying to work it out and if i do find something else then i can post it here
Waseem
Community Team
neowaseem
Popular Poster

Hi @OCE_Karl

The new router came through the post today (Thanks). I set it up and tried my VPN again unfortunaltey it gave the same problem which is i can connect to the VPN but I am unable to ping / ssh etc to the servers.

I have tried both wired and wireless without any joy. I have tried turning the firewall off on the new router too. I can't find where to chang the DNS settings on the new router so haven't tried that. 

Just to be sure everything is running I have tried connecting to the servers on 4G and that works. 

The only other thing I can try is using a differnt network that uses BT openreach  (as opposed to Virgin, my old ISP) just to eliminate any issues there.  

Other than that I am out of ideas at the moment.

Waseem
Community Team

Hi

This rules out the router.  I'm at a loss as to what this could be.  We have tested all VPN protocols over our network with the routers and all work fine.  I'm currently using VPN with a cisco client as I type this.

I can only think there may be some configuration with the VPN client or server.

Thanks

Karl. 

neowaseem
Popular Poster

So I have done some more tests using other networks and there are no problems

Using a Zen connection via nighthawk r7000 router VPN works fine no problems. 

So I have tried it on 3 different networks and the only one that deosn't work is with TalkTalk so its defo not a VPN server or client issue. 

I got hold of a FritzBox 3490 router to try and use that and I am unable to configure it to work with the DSL I keep getting the error "Timeout during PPP negotiation" 

Any ideas on this and how to fix it the only info i found on the FritzBox website is

"Connection cleared by internet service provider
Your internet connection is cleared by your internet service provider's DSL remote site. The DSL remote site either clears the internet connection at the PPP level for no apparent reason, or it interrupts the exchange of "PPP LC Echos" to check the internet connection ("LCP-Monitoring"). This is not an error on the part of the FRITZ!Box." 

I am willing to invest in a new router to fix this issue as its costing me money now by being unable to work either that or will have to cancel my contract and pay to get out of it . 

Waseem
Community Team

Hi

Are you able to set the DNS to use google DNS with any of the routers you are testing.

Thanks

Karl. 

neowaseem
Popular Poster

So an update on this I bought a Netgear Nighthawk D7000 and set it up and everything works fine so you have issues with your routers and this specfic issue. (as I suspected it was ) 

No idea what the issue is as I'm not that much of an expert. 

Please let me how I can return the new router you sent me as I don't need it and it will come in use for someone else. 

Waseem
Community Team

Hi

I'll get a returns bag out to you.

Karl

Community Manager

Hey @neowaseem

I believe you're also having some issues with your broadband speed following a chat I’d had with Nadeem. My understanding is that your not currently getting the guaranteed minimum speed, and tried a number of things already, we've been unable to locate any faults on the line but we can see drops in the connection so our next step would be to look at pushing this out for an engineer to investigate. 

Before we do this could you confirm the setup you have for us, also whilst you were at the test socket did you notice an increase in speed, we saw an increase in sync speed and I’m curious how much of this you noticed. 

Thanks 

Stephen 

neowaseem
Popular Poster

Hi

Apologies for the delayed response. 

My current set up is via a Netgear D7000 router using the normal socket and not the test socket. 

In terms of speed with the test socket the sync speed was between 28-30 ish and the max we were getting using speedtest via an ethernet cable plugged direct into the router the best we got was 26mbps . 

We didn't see a noticeable difference , the issue really is the fact there is a gurantteed 37MBPS speed and it is no where near this. When the BT openreach engineer came last time he plugged his machine into the test socket said look it says 37MBPS and thats all.

This is the same speed we are getting now. 

The only other symptoms are sometimes for no reaosn sometimes the TV will go blocky , especially the multiroom box (which we have tried both via the plug socket and ethernet cable) . 

I spent a whole day trying to diagonse the issue moving the box into various parts of the house and there seems to be no logic to the issues. 

Waseem
Community Team

Hi neowaseem,

How many telephone sockets do you have?

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service such as noise on the line?

Chris

neowaseem
Popular Poster

Nope the phone line seems fine 

We are using DECT phones , one base unit plugged into the wall and 2 other units one upstaris and one more downstairs. 

Waseem