Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of ability to connect for 1 hour every Sunday midnight

DavidB-E
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 9

For a little while now, every Sunday midnight, pretty much exactly, I lose the ability to connect to anything I'm not already connected to for usually one hour, i.e until 1 am Monday morning. On both Windows 10 laptop and Android phone, every browser and every email client, and every streaming service on Fire Stick and Roku stick refuse to load a new page (or even reload an old one already open), connect to fetch email or make a new connection to a streaming service. The browsers - Firefox, Edge and Chrome, desktop and Android, all fail with a message that they cannot verify the authenticity of the connection (and that includes any TalkTalk website page along with the rest of the world). It's clearly not an issue with one browser or client or streaming app as every single one is affected/ And it's not my security software (Kaspersky Security Cloud on both laptop and phone) as turning it completely off makes no difference.

It HAS to be TalkTalk.

I recall that on my old TalkTalk router, whose web interface gave far more information, control and logging, TalkTalk used to connect to it around that time to remotely fiddle with settings to 'tune' the connection. Though only for a few minutes, and I never effectively lost connection ability while it did it. So I suspect something similar is happening with the current 'Super router', but its web interface doesn't provide access to the logging and options needed to be sure. Or if it does I can't find them. Re-booting the Super Router during this midnight-to-1am makes no difference. Although I think I did see a screen with the account name and password for the TalkTalk remote access, and I'm inclined to change the password to stop it.

I'm disabled and in constant pain. This gives me a lot of trouble with regards to sleeping at night, and midnight on Sunday (and every other day) is mid-evening for me. I rely on the internet connection to provide me some distraction from the pain, and I simply cannot put up with this connection loss at this time. If it is TalkTalk, it needs to stop. Now. If it is TalkTalk causing this - and I can't see that it can be anybody else - and TalkTalk won't stop, or move whatever they are doing to e.g. 5am, and I can't stop it by fiddling in the router, I will be changing ISP to one that doesn't remove access for an hour at a time that is vital to me.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi David,

Thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

DavidB-E
Conversation Starter
Message 2 of 9

After a week of waiting .... good news. I did NOT get the connection loss from Midnight to 1 am this Monday AM, unlike the last many weeks. So it appears it was the Homesafe homework time that had mysteriously set itself (even though it had set itself to Monday to Friday but only did it on Monday, so wasn't doing what it said it was doing). So problem solved. Thanks for the help.

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 9

Hi David,

Please let us know how you get on and if you need any assistance.

Thanks

0 Likes

DavidB-E
Conversation Starter
Message 4 of 9

Well, I'll have to wait for next Sunday to see.

Thanks in the hope this is the solution.

martswain
Philosopher
Message 5 of 9

@DavidB-E  you aren't the first and I am sure not the last that has been caught out by the HOMEWORK TIME glitch, nobody seems to know the how or why of it being "ON" for some customers

Switching it off should solve the issue.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 6 of 9

Hopefully switching off 'homework time' might resolve the issue. It is normal for a TalkTalk branded router to 'phone home' every night, this allows maintenance to be carried out if necessary (i.e. firmware being upgraded), but 99% of the time the router will not have any specific maintenance to do and so it would have no effect on your connection.

DavidB-E
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 9

Hm. I have never used Homesafe (or Supersafe) - there's no children or anyone else here, just me. But looking I see one, the Homework Time, was turned on ... and midnight to 1am (must be a default setting). BUT Monday to Friday, and this problem has only manifested every Sunday - or Monday, I suppose as this is the midnight at the end of Sunday - starting a month or two ago. I've switched it off. Unfortunately I will have to wait another week and risk another very bad hour to see if that does anything.

I am still suspicious of the logging of a Sunday midnight 'management' connection by TalkTalk I used to see on my previous TalkTalk router. Pity the current 'Super Router' doesn't provide the same level of logging and control.

All my details are already in my profile following a previous issue.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Hi @DavidB-E,

If you lose connection at the same time every week / day for the same amount of time, this can often be caused by the Homesafe functionality. If you have any of these options switched on it would be worth switching them off to see if that resolves the issue.

Even if all of the options are currently switched off, some customers have found that turning them on for 30 minutes or so, and then turning them off again can clear the issues.

0 Likes