cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

Lousy Connection And Speed

ANSWERED
16 REPLIES
Highlighted
jake53
Popular Poster

Fed up with slow download and upload speed less than 1 mbps also keep losing connection. Engineer been out got it up to 2mbps but still no better. If no change will move supplier . Very poor service 

Jake53

KeithFrench
Community Star

If you can provide some facts & figures, this will help prove if this is the best speed you can get or if there room for improvement. 

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

Please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

Next can you also go to this speed checker:-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi jake53,

Please can you update your forum profile to include your telephone number so that we can look into this further. To do this go into "my settings" then "personal information" then add your details.

Please do not post any personal information on the forum.

Thanks

jake53
Popular Poster
Have done this.
Community Team

Hi jake53,

The connection looks stable so I've optimised the connection and the sync speed has increased slightly. Just to confirm, have you ever tested with an alternative router?

Is the voice service also ok? Are you experiencing any noise on the line?

Thanks

jake53
Popular Poster
Solution

Had engineer out before Christmas he managed to get it up to 2mbps but it' still running at 0.9mbps. I haven't got another router to try but that's what I thought the problem was.

Regards jake53

Community Team

Hi jake53,

Ok thanks for confirming this. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes?

Thanks

jake53
Popular Poster
That would be great thanks
Jake53
Community Team

Hi jake53

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

timespassing
Visitor

I've only recently taken out a contract and when I can get a connection rather than "connected, no internet" my best speed lately has been 0.8mps but more usually much, much slower down to 0.13. Not fit for purpose.

Community Team

Hi timespassing,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

jake53
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie

Got 0.6 and 0.3 readings on mobile can' check laptop as now I can' get connected to internet either wireless or wired or on mobile having to use 4g to post this message. Something seriously wrong with talk talk broadband.

Regards jake53

Community Team

Hi jake53

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Is the replacement router, cables and filter connected at the test socket? Once we have confirmed this then we can raise this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

jake53
Popular Poster

No Will try that when I get home and post result. Speed test this morning was the same as last night.

Regards jake53

Community Team

Hi jake53

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how you get on following this testing.

Debbie

jake53
Popular Poster

Hi Debbie have done checks connected to test socket getting reading of 0.6  and 0.3 with wireless connection. Obviously something amiss. Please sort asap or i move provider.

Regards jake53

Woody379i

I have had a ongoing complaint for over a year from October 2016. I was told today after 4 or 5 engineer calls, Line tests, days missed work to accommodate engineer calls and a number of calls to and from Talk Talk. I was offered 22 pound compensation which a f****ng insult. I cancelled in November and was told not to leave as the issue would be rectified and I would be refunded. So as a good customer i agreed and recinded the cancelation. Since then I have had no phone line but was still charged full wack and minimal internet about 4 meh at best but charged full wack that aswell .

The issue was rectified on the 19th of December so from October 16 to December 17 I was paying for something I was not at any time receiving but was charged full price for.

I am seeking leagal advice as this is like a slap in the face for me. So now I'm like a dog with a bone to get at least all my money back I've paid. I WOULD ADVISE NOT TO USE TALK TALK THEY ARE A JOKE and if you have an issue cut your losses and change to a provider that can actually provide you with a service your paying for. If anyone knows of the best people to contact to sort this I would appreciate it. Or I will just spend the day tomorow chasing this up. 

Thanks.