Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Low broadband speed

14 REPLIES 14
davidncohen
First Timer

We got a new up-to-date router a few months back, as every so often the signal would just stall. The new router appears to have solved this issue.

However, I thought this might also help with another issue - low broadband line speed. Using TalkTalk's and 3rd party line speed checkers, the speeds are consistently as follows:

Download - 2.5Mbps to 3.5Mbps

Upload - 0.8 Mbps to 1.0 Mbps

We've had broadband for about 10 years or so.

Q: I would have thought we'd be able to get more than an average of 3Mbps, which to my mind is *very* low.

Thanks.

David
Community Team

Hi @davidncohen

Thanks for your post, sorry that you are having problems.

If you would like us to look into this, please can you update your community profile to include your home telephone number, we will then be able to have a look at your  account.

To do this go into 'my settings' then 'personal information' then add your details.

Thanks

davidncohen
First Timer

Thanks - Done, settings updated.

Yes, please can you look into this.

David
Community Team

Hi

Can you check the home phone number on your profile, I'm not finding an account / line with that number.

Thanks

Karl. 

davidncohen
First Timer

Hi Karl,

Apologies - Phone number now corrected.

Many thanks.

David

David
Community Team

Hi

I've reset the port and optimised the profile.  The speed will have increased a little for you.

Thanks

Karl. 

davidncohen
First Timer

Thanks. I'll check the speed, and will re-post depending on what I find.

Do I need to reset the router?

David

David
Community Team

Hi

you do not need to reset the router.  The overall sync speed has improved so you should notice improvement when you retest.

Thanks

Karl. 

davidncohen
First Timer

Hi Karl,

I ran a test at 12:36pm

Download is now 8.12Mbps

Upload is now 0.78Mbps

The Download speed has noticeably improved. The upload speed doesn't seem to have changed much (why?).

Q: All these years, why have we been paying for around 60% less broadband speed than we could / should have had, and been entitled to? This doesn't really feel like 'what matters to the customer', and feels like we've been paying for a service that we didn't fully get. Could you please provide as full an explanation as possible.

Regards,

David

David
Community Team

Hi David

Your line is ADSL, and the speed and stability of the line are affected by the length of the line (distance from exchange) and also the age and quality of the line.  How many connection points (joints) are on the line etc.

By optimising the profile this has lowered the SNR 

This is not to say that the speed will remain at that level, only time will tell.  If a line is unstable or has an increase in errors or dropping connections, the automated DLM system may lower the profile (reducing the speed) to increase stability of the connection.

With regard to the upload speed, the maximum speed under optimal conditions will always be set at 1mb.

At 0.78mb, this is correct for the length of the line.

Thanks

Karl. 

davidncohen
First Timer

Hi Karl,

Thanks for that explanation, which goes some way to my understanding of what's going on, and helps with future situations.

Still doesn't explain why I had to query this in the first place, as an existing customer.

Thanks,

David

David
davidncohen
First Timer

Hi again,

Just out of interest, does the service offer ADSL2+, over what I assume we are currently getting, which is basic ADSL? Does the exchange (@ Gatley) offer ADSL2+?

Gatley Exchange

Thanks.

David

David
Community Team

Hi David,

Yes your service is ADSL2+

Chris

davidncohen
First Timer

Thanks.

So, my question is, what sort of min / max speeds should ADSL2+ offer?

David

David
Community Team

Hi

Upload speed will always be 1mb maximum with download at a maximum of 24mb with the speeds actually received based on the line length and condition.

Thanks

Karl.