Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac connected to WiFi hub via ethernet cable no internet access

Cox152
First Timer
Message 7 of 7

After working fine for ages I can 't  get internet access on  my Mac using an ethernet cable though I can connect it with no problem with WiFi.  Also my WiFi access point the garden which is connected to the modem by  an ethernet cable has stopped working

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hello,

Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Cox152
First Timer
Message 2 of 7

Thank you for your suggestions.  I did the factory reset  then tried to change back to Ethernet connection for the Mac using network Diagnostics.

Still doesn't' work.  The  network diagnostics box shows ethernet as green, network settings as green, but ISP, Internet and server as "failed" (red)

One thing I don't understand which may be irrelevant,  when I looked at "wired connections" in "advanced settings" it showed the iMac ISP address as 192 168 1 10 then alongside that in bold it had 192 168 1 28 then ISP address 192 168 1 28. Why are there apparently two ISP addresses for the iMac?

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 3 of 7

The Wi-Fi network name and password are on the pull out tab on the back of the router, the username and password to log into the router are on the label on the back of the router behind that pull out tab. After a factory reset the details will match those shown on the tab / label.

If a factory reset doesn't fix it then it may be that your router has developed a fault, if so the staff here would be able to arrange a replacement router for you.

0 Likes

Cox152
First Timer
Message 4 of 7

I've got the TalkTalk WiFi hub version SG410002816t. I've got two wired internet devices - the Mac (which I have now temporarily changed to WiFi connection) and a WiFi access point outside the house which I use to connect a CCTV camera down the garden. neither of these wired connections is working. I logged into the router but can't see anything wrong though I don't understand it well enough to be sure. The ethernet is shown as connected on System preferences>Network. I haven't tried a factory reset - worried that this might make the  Router username and Password invalid?

0 Likes

TheHornedOne
Insightful One
Message 5 of 7

@Cox152, have you checked the current [Ethernet] settings at .............

>  > System Preferences > Network >

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 21.23.28.png

~R.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi @Cox152,

What make / model of router do you have. Do you have any other ethernet devices that do work, or are all ethernet devices not working (even if you try them in different ports on the router).

Are you able to log into the router to check the status of the ethernet ports (i.e. to check that it doesn't say that ethernet is disabled or something odd like that).

If all ethernet devices / ports have stopped working you could also try a factory reset of the router by holding in the reset switch on the back for over 10 seconds, however this would lose any settings you may have ever changed in your router.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will also be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

0 Likes