Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Teams calls on Fibre 35

fiona12345
Chatterbox
Message 21 of 21

Hi,

I'm working from home and spend 3 or 4 hours every day on Teams calls. Despite being the only person using the wifi I can't get a reliable connection. I live in a small flat so I'm never more than 5 or 6 metres from the router. I upgraded to Fibre 35 in May but the connection still isn't reliable - sometimes it's okay, other times it's dire, no obvious pattern. Here is what I've done so far:

- lots of speed tests which show speeds as you'd expect i.e. 35+mbps when I'm off the work vpn, less when I'm on the vpn (20-25 mbps) but still should be adequate

- work upgraded my laptop to 16gb of memory (didn't help)

- work then gave me a new laptop still with 16gb of memory (didn't help)

- I've checked for leaches on my wifi but the only connections are mine (work laptop plus half a dozen smart plugs and one Alexa)

- i've changed the channels on the router (didn't help)

- router is in the hall virtually dead centre of the flat, connected to the main socket where the line comes into the flat

- when I upgraded to fibre the engineer put in a new main socket with a phone connection at the top and a wifi connection at the bottom. At the same time he disconnected my hard-wired extension socket saying I wouldn't need it with fibre so a wired connection is no longer an option

- I moved the laptop into the kitchen today 'cause my call kept dropping. The kitchen is in a direct sight line of the router and 4 or 5 meters away from it, still the call was dropping

I'm at my wits end with this so suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Fiona

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi fiona12345

That's great, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

fiona12345
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 21

Thanks for your help. The new router has resolved my issues. @KeithFrench @Michelle-TalkTalk @Skynet_TX @AllyM 

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 21

No probs, let me know then.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 4 of 21

Hi Fiona,

Please let us know how your connection compares 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

@KeithFrenchthat's very kind of you. I may well take you up on it if I'm still having problems with the new router.

Thanks,

Fiona

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Hi fiona12345,

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery 

Chris

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 7 of 21

If you either get WiFi optimisation disabled or a new router & you want my help to sort WiFi interference, let me know.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 8 of 21

@Skynet_TXthanks for the advice. As you suggest, hopefully the different model router will be better. It really can't be much worse..... If it doesn't work, there's some electrical work I was thinking of doing so I'll do that and get the hard-wired connection re-installed at the same time.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 9 of 21

Ok, so does sound more like Wi-Fi interference as @KeithFrench says (or a router fault). The Sagemcom does have a rather annoying feature called 'Wi-Fi Optimisation' that means it can change the wireless channels by itself, so even if you change the channel it may change it back to a different one. However as @Michelle-TalkTalk is sending you a Huawei Hub then hopefully that will resolve things for you, as that doesn't have 'Wi-Fi Optimisation', so if you do find that you need to change the channels on it (and hopefully you won't need to change them anyway) it will at least stay on whatever channels you select.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

@Skynet_TXconnection usually comes back by itself without the need to restart the router.

Thanks,

Fiona

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

@fiona12345 wrote:

Note though that I have a sagemcom router (not a huawei)

I would guess that's why she's offering to send you a different model to what you have, to see if it works out any better for you.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 12 of 21

When it drops out does the connection come back by itself, or do you have to reboot the router (or the device) to get it to connect again.

There is a known issue with the Sagemcom Firmware that can cause issues similar to what you are describing, but if you had this known issue then the connection would not tend to come back by itself, it would need a restart of the router to get things working again.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

@KeithFrenchthanks for the offer of help. It's the sagemcom router that I have.

I've checked to see how many other wifi networks there are but usually only 1 or 2 and usually with poor strength.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

@Skynet_TXyes, it's the sagemcom router that I have.

I do have one device connected directly to the router but it's just the internet bridge for my smart heating. It has dropped out a couple of times recently but I was away from home at the time so don't know what was happening.

Another day of dire reception today. Spent much of it with my laptop sitting next to the router to get a decent connection.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

@Michelle-TalkTalkthanks, a replacement would be a good idea. Note though that I have a sagemcom router (not a huawei), see attached picture

fiona12345_0-1627324380617.png

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 16 of 21

Hi fiona,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. Would you like us to send the Huawei Wifi Hub for testing purposes? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 17 of 21

Hi @fiona12345,

Which model of router do you have, is it the Sagemcom (the one with the bronze colour behind the holes on the front).

Do you have any devices that are connected to the router 'wired', if so do these also lose connection.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 18 of 21

Hi @fiona12345 

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

0 Likes

fiona12345
Chatterbox
Message 19 of 21

Thanks @Skynet_TX router light does't change (it's constantly white, doesn't flash or anything) so the problem is between my device and the router.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 20 of 21

Hi @fiona12345,

Do you know if the problem is with the router losing its connection to the internet (in which case a light on your router which is normally constantly lit will change colour or flash), or is it that you are losing Wi-Fi connection between your device(s) and your router (in which case the light(s) on the router will just carry on looking normal).

0 Likes