Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move master socket

lapoabox
Popular Poster
Message 21 of 21

Hello, our master socket is currently in the eaves storage in our loft (I can't think of a worse place!). We would like to move it to come into the house by the front door and this will be an external move. I have chatted with an agent, explained what I wanted and they have booked a TalkTalk engineer to come tomorrow for a cost of £65. I queried this as from other questions on the forum it seems I need an Openreach engineer (and this would cost £128). However, the agent confirmed that a TalkTalk engineer would be able to move the mastersocket externally. Does anyone know if this is correct/have things changed? I really don't want to pay £65 just to be told I need Openreach! Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi @lapoabox

I have requested that the charges are cleared. 

Also we will need access times again to arrange for Openreach to come out and move the socket, Can you send us available times and dates via Personal Message,  and we will start the ball rolling on this. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 21

Hello Michelle. Is there any update re my previous post? It would be good to get Openreach booked in.

In addition, we have now received a bill which charges us £30 for a 'missed appointment' on 12th Feb as well as £65 for the engineer's visit on 25th Feb. The engineer who was due to visit on the 12th Feb called us the evening before and when I explained the work needed he said he would not be able to do the work and so would not visit - I therefore do not understand why we are being charged for it as a missed appointment since he did not come. Additionally, I was advised that the engineer who visited on the 25th of Feb would be able to move the master socket externally but, again, when he visited he confirmed that he was unable to do so - as before I am not therefore sure why we are being charged for it. Can you clarify any of this for me please?

Many thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Hi Michelle, I have arranged a visit before using the password on the account. I understood that as long as I use the password set up on the account I can also deal with TalkTalk myself. Is this still possible? Thanks.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 21

Hi lapoabox,

Thanks for the PM. Would it be possible for the Account Holder to register on the Community? As this visit would be chargeable we would need to confirm this directly with the Account Holder.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

OK thanks. We should be able to arrange this for you, we just need to confirm some details with you. I've sent you a PM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Hi Chris

Thanks for your message. On Monday I was told I would hear within 72 hours about the openreach visit but have not heard anything yet. 

Message 7 of 21

Hi lapoabox,

Sorry to hear that our engineer couldn't complete the work, have you been given any information about the Openreach engineer visit?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Hi, The engineer was very helpful and sorry he couldn't do anything, but explained it was because it was moving the master socket externally from the loft to the ground floor. I have previously explained that the master socket is in the loft and I want it in our hallway, so not sure why it feels like I keep going around the houses with this!

0 Likes

Eddie4419
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 21

Did the TalkTalk engineer give a reason why he couldn't move the master socket?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Posting an update for anyone in a similar situation: Having been told that a TalkTalk enginerr could move the master socket, the engineer came today but unfortunately he confirmed that he was unable to carry out the work to move the master socket and that this was a job for Openreach! I am now waiting for this to be arranged but in the meantime have been told that I will be charged for today's visit and the visit of Openreach. When I explained that I was unhappy about paying for today's visit given I had requested an Openreach visit and had been clear all along about what my request involved, I was told that my only option was to dispute the charges once I was billed. I will post another update once there is more info. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

Hi @lapoabox

Our network team need access times and dates to arrange an engineer, can you read and understand the following Engineer charges help page you will need to agree to this to allow us to book this.

Then if you can send me via a personal message on the community with the best available dates and times for you, Monday to Friday, either AM (8am tilll 1pm) or PM (1pm till 6pm) for the visit we will book this.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21
0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Thanks Arne. I have updated this although please be aware that the phone isn't very accessible so mobile numbers are best to contact us on. 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

Can you update your community profile to include your home phone number and I can see whats happening. 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

Hi Arne, Thanks for your reply and this information. I made it clear when booking the appointment that it was to move the master socket externally so I am not sure why an engineer was booked who was unable to do this. I contacted TalkTalk again yesterday and was told that someone will contact me to arrange a new engineer visit though I haven't heard from anyone yet. 

Message 16 of 21

Hi lapoabox

Just to confirm that as of around November last year TalkTalk engineers are now able/allowed to move master sockets. Sadly they are not all qualified so it needs to be specified with our faults team that you are requesting an LVR, it sounds like the engineer who called you is one of the untrained. 

Regards

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

Hi Michelle, no it hasn't been arranged yet as I was advised that I need to contact TalkTalk again myself to arrange it and I haven't had time yet. 

0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

Hi lapoabox,

I'm sorry to hear this. This would need to be arranged as a low volume request (LVR) Has this now been arranged for you?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 19 of 21

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes, that's exactly what I thought. In fact the engineer phoned me not that long ago re the visit tomorrow and I checked with him and he confirmed that this is the case. So he won't be coming tomorrow and I won't waste £65! Very frustrating that the agents don't seem to understand this, even when the customer raises it. 

Eddie4419
Conversation Starter
Message 20 of 21

In my opinion this is a job for Openreach because the drop wire needs to be moved. If it was just moving the master socket from one indoor location to another indoor location then TalkTalk can do that.