Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Moving Super Router

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
First Timer

I need to move my Super Router to another room which only has a slave socket, which I believe isn't broadband connected

My Master socket is  an Open Reach Mk4 with a separate Broadband socket.

Does anyone know how I can get round this problem ?

Thanks

Paul

Highlighted
Philosopher

RJ11 extension cable from the master socket broadband outlet to the router.

I have used a 15m extension on both ADSL and Fibre for many years with absolutely no loss of sync speed compared with having the router right next to the master socket

The cable is neither twisted-pair or shielded, it was the cheapest I could find.

Martin
Highlighted
First Timer

Thanks for that. Did you run the cable outside and then through a window to the new location ?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

In my case, I left the router downstairs, picked up some external grade ethernet cable and a couple of sockets and ran a cable up the outside of the house with a 2 port ethernet socket near the router and a couple of sockets upstairs.  Then connected another router in the upstairs socket to increase wifi coverage.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Well FWIW -

If the extension is a working socket I'd be tempted to put a micro filter on the extention and test if you can get acceptable performance.

Depends on the quality and routing of your extension wiring, it be ok or there may be an unacceptable performance loss - but possibly worth testing before you start recabling your house. A virtual zero cost test.

And if it is an older house make sure the bell wire is disconnected !

First Timer

Thanks for that.

I have a micro filter in the slave socket and the broadband doesnt work from that, but from what I've read, the problem is that the Master has a dedicated broadband socket, therefore the separate phone socket is what is wired to the slave

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Worth a try.

But what is passed to the extension is purely dependant on the design of the faceplate.

I have an ADSL Nation faceplate and that gives me the option of what to pass to the slave sockets, sounds like your design is more restrictive.

FWIW - because of the layout of my house I use a 15m (good quality STP) RJ11 extension cable from my master socket, tacked round the skirting boards and up and over door frames - absolutely no loss of signal speed or quality. And only cost around about £10.

Is Wi-Fi out of the question with your configuration.

Highlighted
First Timer

Thanks for all your help

Problem solved with a 15mtr cable, carpet pulled back job done !!

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Occam's Razor ?

😀🤔

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi lph114,

Glad to hear that you've resolved the problem 🙂

Chris

Highlighted
Philosopher

@lph114 wrote:

Thanks for all your help

Problem solved with a 15mtr cable, carpet pulled back job done !!

SNAP !

Glad it worked for you too.

Martin