Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from Virgin Media cable to TalkTalk wired

xyzee
First Timer
Message 7 of 7

We’ve had cable, for broadband, TV and telephone, for around 25 years - CableTel, which became NTL and then Virgin, we are considering moving to TalkTalk.

The telephone master socket and TV aerial have not been used for 25 years, see photos attached. 

I assume that on moving to TalkTalk an engineer would reconnect the telephone cable in the cabinet in the road.

The Virgin router is in the upstairs study and plugged into the Ethernet ports of the router are the solar panel Communications Gateway and the house intruder alarm.  The telephone master socket is not conveniently located and is not near a power socket.  I could fairly easily run a two-wire cable, and relocate the telephone master socket to the study so the TalkTalk router would be where the Virgin one is.  Any comments on this?

Our plasma TV is around 15 years old and does not have a HD connection.  I don’t think this is a problem as I understand that the TalkTalk TV box has a SCART socket.  Would the TV aerial, probably 34 years old, be ok for the Freeview service with the TalkTalk TV box?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 7

Hi xyzee

The engineer may fit a new master socket as part of the installation if there isn't already an Openreach socket there.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

I have been using a 10 m RJ11 data cable extension from the master socket downstairs to the router upstairs for years, both on ADSL and Fibre.

It makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE to sync speeds at my router.

I get exactly the same in the test socket with nothing else connected as I do with the 10 m extension plugged into the DSL side of the master socket.

TheHornedOne
Insightful One
Message 3 of 7

@xyzee wrote:

router are the solar panel Communications Gateway and the house intruder alarm.  The telephone master socket is not conveniently located and is not near a power socket.  I could fairly easily run a two-wire cable, and relocate the telephone master socket to the study so the TalkTalk router would be where the Virgin one is.  Any comments on this?

The consensus is that a - Telephone / ADSL / RJ11 - extension cable must not be used for a data connection under any circumstances, but my opinion is that it is more a question of what you might, gain / loose, in performance by using an extension, against what you might, gain / loose, in performance by using wi-fi; to effectively cover the same distance - ethernet connection notwithstanding.

For example, a wi-fi connection may well be expected to penetrate solid material, while extension cabling clearly would not!

Locating the router adjacent to the computer also offers the advantage of having a direct view of connection status indicators, which is particularly useful with a flakey connection!

Most times I use the extension option to the router - and then wi-fi - because it is more convenient, or even necessary [iPad / Amazon Fire / Smart 'phone] and in my particular experience, performance variations between the two options are barely discernible anyway!

~R.

0 Likes

AllyM
Insightful One
Message 4 of 7

As @martswain says, unauthorised persons cannot relocate master sockets as such but assuming you mean running a cable from it to an additional extension socket there shouldn't be any major issue with that. I installed an extension socket in my parents' bedroom many years ago and they still have their broadband router connected there working fine.

Are you having major problems with your Virgin service?

Message 5 of 7

I've never used Talktalk TV, @xyzee, only ever Freeview.  Whatever runs from the aerial into the house has never been renewed since it was installed by the previous owner when the house was built 34 years ago.

However, when I got my first digital telly, there was something extra or an adjustment that needed to be made to the aerial to ensure I could get all the available Freeview channels. 

I definitely needed to contact a TV aerial company c 13 years ago when the pressure was on to get a telly that could cope with both digital and continue for a few years with analogue till it was switched off. It wasn't expensive. I haven't needed to change any of it since.

It meant that I was able to check that everything was working well while the engineer was still here.

As Martswain says, try it and see, with what you have already got, but if you find it's not adequate quality, it's not a big deal getting it upgraded. 

These days there are umpteen grades of TV aerial. Useful blog:

https://www.smartaerials.co.uk/blog/different-types-of-tv-aerials-antennas-for-tv-radio

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 6 of 7

Phone Master Sockets cannot be relocated by the consumer.

If the order identifies that you need a phone line installed the engineer may well change the master socket at the same time, however it will not be relocated to another room.

As for the TV aerial, the state of the coax cable could well be an issue after 25 years, the only way to tell is to connect to a TV with a digital tuner and see if it works.