Did you mean: 
Need help?

My Story - Rural(ish) Broadband never worked properly

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi everybody,

im from cumbria

i’ve Had adsl broadband with talk talk tied in with 24 month contract. The service has been really bad with average speeds of 0.25kbps and constant drop outs. If I reboot the talk talk router it usually drops out within half an hour.

I've been through the usual customer service on to open reach and have been informed I’m at the limits of adsl due to being 5km distance from the exchange. 

I cannot trust the phone line as it goes down intermittently and people cannot get in touch.

The last engineer visit proved that there was no signal at the house, at the nearest telegraph pole and then three or so junction boxes back one was full of mud. The engineer said this would be investigated and talk talk would be in touch

This was over a month ago. I recently got a text message saying talk talk had tried to contact me and the issue was deemed fixed. I should contact customer services if I think I still have a problem

I’m reluctant to constantly phone customer services because obviously I have only a mobile signal and am charged every time i get in touch!

i’m thoroughly disapponted with the service provided and feel I should never have been offered this contract as the phone line is unfit for purpose, on top of this the cabinets all around me have fibre (within 1-2 miles)it seems mine is in an unusual location and will never be upgraded due to limited numbers using it.

i contacted talktalk chat today and have been logged as a fresh technical issue once again with customer service seemingly not having any details of the current logged problem.

I’d like to get a working system with 5-10mbps available to me and my family and would be chuffed if the issue can be resolved but don’t feel it is possible, talktalk in the mean time have been taking the monthly payments knowing the line is unfit. Another alternative to my problem would be an agreed compensation and cancel the contract. 

Could customer services help me publicly with this issue?

thank you

stephen

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Stephen,

I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with your service 

You are on a long line with high attenuation so unfortunately your speed will always be limited on the ADSL service 

Are you currently experiencing problems with your telephone service? Do you have a dial tone? Any noise on the line?

Chris

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Chris,

Yes the telephone is intermittent, has a little noise, I basically don't use the phone as it will work half the day and then drop out. 

I've been thinking of cancelling however, if I do that, the issue will never be resolved, I'd really like TalkTalk to take control of this, step up and try and fix the line/cabinet or move me to an alternative cabinet.

From what I've been told all other people using this cabinet have the same issue. Theres about 15-20 of us.

Can you help?

Highlighted

Thanks for the information. I'm sorry, we can't move you to another cabinet and any work carried out on the line would be done by Openreach.

Can I just ask how many telephone sockets you have and if your router and telephone are currently connected to your test socket (if you have one)?

Chris

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Chris,

I have the standard NTE5A Master socket into filter > Router, I've tried the test socket method and it make no difference, After a reboot this morning (and getting in touch with customer services for more diagnostic tests) the line has started up with 0.176mbps!

Talk Talk Technical dept have sent another router this morning ensuring me this is now the problem.

The same repeating issue I have is: After an hour of diagnostic checks, talk talk call out an engineer, the engineer checks the line, gets a (weak) signal and deems the fault fixed. There is a fundamental fault with this line/cabinet which needs to be addressed though Openreach and TalkTalk respectively. 

I need help getting the line changed or upgraded. This is usually where suppliers stop helping me. Over the last 6 years I've been with Sky, BT and Talk Talk.

Like I say can Talk Talk customer services escalate this issue high enough to be fixed or changed

Thanks

Stephen

Highlighted

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately the fundamental problem regarding your broadband speeds is probably the length of the line which unfortunately we can't do anything about. 

Do you still get the intermittent telephone service and noise on the line if you just connect a corded telephone to the test socket and disconnect all other telephone equipment including your router?

Chris

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Yes I get noise with a straight telephone connected into the test Socket.

Who will approach this problem then? I've written to OpenReach, Cumbriabroadband, my Council and even local MP!!!! 

Thanks

Highlighted

If you're getting noise and intermittent telephone connection at the test socket with everything else disconnected and you've ruled out it being a problem with the telephone handset, then we can log this out to Openreach to arrange another engineer visit. It will be a telephone engineer to specifically look at the telephone fault - would you like us to arrange this?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi, We had a very similar problem several years ago with EE and a long phone line. We cancelled the contract with EE on the basis it was unfit for purpose, hence no charge for breaking the contract. Took out a contract with BT and then hammered OpenReach to provide a decent phone line. Within a month they had an engineer visit and track the problem back up the line, broken junction boxes, water ingress and several other faults. Once fixed we had ~2Mb connection and no further problems.

It's a waste of time trying to go through a third party like EE (or TalkTalk ?) If you have a BT contract, even for 12 months, and are persistent enough, they will escalate the problem back to the OpenReach engineering department and then you'll get an engineer with the equipment required to sort out the problems.

It worked for us, hope this helps.

PaulM

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Chris Yes Please the New Router came this morning and made no difference

Highlighted
Chatterbox
Hi Paul Thanks for the advice this is exactly what i need from Talk Talk. I hope they are willing to help out or I'll have to move yet again
Highlighted

Hi SteveNick

Thank you for confirming that you have tested with a corded phone at the test socket.

As the line tests are passing then we will need to arrange an Openreach engineer visit to the property.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi SteveNick

Thanks for the Private Message.

The Openreach engineer visit has been provisionally arranged for 08/10 AM (8am - 1pm)

I will post back shortly to advise once Openreach have confirmed this appointment.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi SteveNick

The engineer visit has been confirmed for 08/10/2019 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

The OpenReach engineer should have some pretty sophisticated equipment that they connect to your phone line. It can tell them how far back up the line there are connection problems etc. so they can find and fix them, water is usually the biggest killer !

If you look here - https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2012/graph-ADSL-speed-versus-distance - it gives you some idea of what to expect with a good phone line. As you mentioned in your original post, 5km is getting close to the limit so you'll need to be persistent and make sure the phone line is as good as it can get. With ADSL2 you'll still only get ~1Mbps at best, TalkTalk should have told you this when you signed up with them as they will have known how long your phone line is.

Good luck.

PaulM

Highlighted

Hi SteveNick

How are you getting on following the engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Debbie,

Unfortunately, the engineer visited on tuesday and confirmed that the line is antiquated.

He confirmed after working on the system that 0.5Mbps was showing and only 0.8Mbps was attainable as a maximum.

He has recommended i start off a community partnership Grant Application and attain all the addresses of people on Cabinet 14 of the exchange whom are in the same situation Then apply for FTTP.

I am at around 32 Addresses showing less than 2mb speeds so far.

I'm guessing that TalkTalk cannot help with this Application.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi SteveNick

I'm really sorry to hear this.

This is not something that we can arrange. Openreach own this part of the network and they have to request for this to be arranged. Apologies for this.

Thanks

Debbie