Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My broadband speed has massively degraded and is now down to 3MB/s - can someone help pls?

Frustrated24
Conversation Starter
Message 69 of 69

Our broadband speed is normally around 15-18 MB/s and has been OK since I got it fixed in March.
Every broadband speed test I run gives me a super slow speed so there is a problem.
Are we able to still get help via asking here on the forum?

Thanks

Frustrated!

0 Likes
68 REPLIES 68

Message 21 of 69

Hi Frustrated24

Can I just check the last 3 digits of the line affected? as you have 2 numbers in your Community Profile.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 22 of 69

Apologies - the line is in fact nearly dead (0.5Mbs speed test) - I had totally forgotten that I had switched my PC over to the main internet line!  So in the chart that you can see that I uploaded, the lines up near 23.5 Mbs are actually the main internet line.  The second line which I use for work is nearly dead (again), so please do send an engineer, and please let me know when this visit is scheduled for.

Sorry about that!

0 Likes

Message 23 of 69

Hi Frustrated24

Thanks for your reply.

We would hope that an engineer would still complete thorough investigations even if the line was working when they attended.

If you do experience this fault again then please post back here and I will run some tests again.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 24 of 69

Ah ok - like when you have an intermittent problem with your car and the mechanic says "looked fine to me!" and presents you with a bill...

Let's not get the engineer out quite yet.  Maybe someone else called in a fault and it has been fixed...?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 25 of 69

Hi Frustrated24

I'm so glad to hear that this working again.

In regards to intermittent faults, if the engineer attends and the fault is not present but they are still able to still find/fix a potential fault then no charges should be applied.

If the fault is not present and the engineer is unable to find or detect any possible faults on the line then charges can be applied.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 26 of 69

Hi Debbie

For some reason the broadband has just started working normally again...?

Frustrated24_0-1636363570570.png

If an engineer comes out for an intermittent problem and finds that all is OK, do I get charged?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 27 of 69

Yes please! And is it possible to let the engineer know that a problem was previously seen and fixed?

Please let me know when the visit will be.

Thanks

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 28 of 69

Hi Frustrated24

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see re connections on the line.

Would you like me to arrange another engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 29 of 69

HI - unfortunately, whilst things worked normally for a number of days, they have taken a turn for the worse again!

Below is a speed test chart over the last 4 days - it was normal for the first two days and went back to being very slow again.

The vertical axis is speed and the horizontal axis is time.

Frustrated24_0-1636112518876.png

The above chart is for November.

The below chart is for 11th October to 30th October - it was fixed 20th October by an engineer.

I had an email from Openreach saying they had fixed something, and you can see it became stable for several weeks.

Frustrated24_1-1636112712923.png

My wife tells me there have been numerous Openreach vans around, but of course there's no way to know what they were looking at.

It looks like it's time for another engineer to have a look, do you agree?

Thanks in advance for your help - I am having to use my expensive data on my phone in order to work right now as this connection is too unreliable.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 69

Morning,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that the connection has remained stable.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 31 of 69

OK interestingly I got the following in an email, indicating something was actually fixed:

Hello,
We're very sorry you've had a problem with your broadband service. An engineer has recently done some repair works on your line, and your connection might take a few days to adjust.
We'll keep an eye on your service and if the problem happens again we'll let you know what we're doing to fix it.
We're sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you're having any further issues, please visit Service Centre where you can live chat to one of the team.
Your TalkTalk team

So it seems that something was wrong and it was actually fixed!

The line has been solid as a rock recently.

Message 32 of 69

It was an Openreach engineer and there's nothing in the notes to indicate that anything was fixed

Chris

0 Likes

Message 33 of 69

(Sorry if this is a duplicate reply - after I wrote the previous one it asked me to login, despite identifying me under my account....)

There are now no issues.  Can you please tell me if it was an Openreach engineer or a TalkTalk one who left the message?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 34 of 69

No - now the broadband is acting as if there was never a problem.  Noting that electrical things normally don't "heal" like living creatures, maybe some underlying issue was fixed?  And by the way - was it an Openreach engineer or a "Talktalk engineer"?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 35 of 69

The engineer notes just say that it's achieving predicted speeds and all tests pass, have you experienced any further issues since yesterday afternoon?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 36 of 69

Correct - nobody knocked on the door or rang the doorbell.  Maybe they did some tests at the street and just left?

What did the notes say please?

0 Likes

Message 37 of 69

Hi Frustrated24,

The engineer has left notes, are you saying that the engineer hasn't been to your home?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 38 of 69

Hi Chris

The engineer visit was between 8AM and 1PM, but nobody ever stopped by.   Have they come and gone already? Can you see if they left feedback somewhere pls?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 39 of 69

Hi Frustrated24,

I would just wait to see what the engineer says, if there's an underlying problem then the engineer may be able to see this even if it's not misbehaving at the time

Chris

Message 40 of 69

Hi Chris

Unbelievably, now that the engineer is coming out (they have not arrived yet), have a look at the line testing for the past couple days - since midnight it has suddenly started working normally again!!  The previous day (middle box) shows some higher green bars - this is when I used our other internet line - but the rest of the day is random and misbehaving. So it's quite possible the engineer will find "all is OK"... will I be charged if the line doesn't misbehave when he's out here?

Frustrated24_0-1634715422839.png

Very frustrating - like when your car has an intermittent problem, you take it to the mechanic who says "looks fine to me"...

0 Likes