Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a new router

Donny
Philosopher
Message 16 of 16

Have just spent 1 hour on chat to TalkTalk technical and after all checks look ok, they suggest my router could be causing all of the problems. I have been with TalkTalk since June 2008 and have only had one router. The old SmartAX MT882. I had to change this as it was faulty. I got a NetGear N300. Now looks like it has a fault. Do TalkTalk ever offer long term customers a free router upgrade? One router in 13 years seems a bit extreme. Any help much appreciated.

This fault is causing internet drop outs and loss of phone at same time.

Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium (Seneca)

Dont let your arrogance reach your fingertips
0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi Donny

That's great news, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Debbie

Donny
Philosopher
Message 2 of 16

Hi Chris and Debbie. New router worked a treat. Excellent connection, no phone problems, and a better speed for some reason. Many thanks again and apologies for late reply.

Message 3 of 16

Hi Donny

Please let us know how the connection compares with the replacement router 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 4 of 16

The name rings a bell! 

Thanks for confirming that point, it does make me think that a new router is unlikely to fix that. Mind you, you were well overdue a replacement anyway.  🙂

Message 5 of 16

Hi Ferguson

You probably do not remember me from this community many moons ago. I know all of the checks which used to be scripted, and yes I did remove the faceplate and plugged into the socket behind the faceplate. That was always the first test. Nice to see you are still going strong and the community flourishing.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

@Donny wrote:

Part of checks requested by tech was to connect to master socket, the one with removeable faceplate. Connect wired telephone with no filter and check for dialling tone. No dialling tone. 

Sorry to labour the point, but did you actually remove the faceplate and check at the test socket?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Part of checks requested by tech was to connect to master socket, the one with removeable faceplate. Connect wired telephone with no filter and check for dialling tone. No dialling tone. 

My wiring is like this.

Comes into house to master socket under window ledge. Line runs from there to what used to be the origional master socket. Now being used as an extension socket. From that socket lines run through filter to remote phones, wired phone, caller display box and to another extension box upstairs in the house. From that upstairs connection through filter to the router then by ethernet tp desktop. This wiring was all checked by TalkTalk engineer many years ago when my outside line was renewed aftr being wired up wrong. She also checked inside to ensure all was ok. And all has worked just fine since then. Only had this problem for around two weeks. I have now just replaced the last piece of line in internal circuit. And then last piece of jigsaw is the router. Hopefully will all be ok. First problem apart from the wrongly wired to house in 13 years. So it is not something which is sporadic and keeps coming back. 

Tech have been good and community agent has been excellent.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 8 of 16

You say you have filtered all the extension sockets, what kind of master socket do you have? Does the issue occur when connected at the test socket? 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Hi

Having spent 2 hours now over the last 2 weeks with talktalk. They have checked broadband and landline to house . All ok with no faults. I have internally replaced wall sockets with new ones, new filters, new lines to all lines.  Only other thing I have done is upgrade router firmware.

Internet does not connect, phone works. Internet shows connected but not working. Internet works, phone does not. I cannot understand it either, but withh all the renewals, TalkTalk tech reckon may be router. So I will try the one being sent and see it it cures it. 

I have done all I can internally. TalkTalk have checked externally. Open to any other ideas.

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 10 of 16

@Donny it is highly unusual that a faulty router will cause a loss of phone service at the same time.

It sounds much more like a line or filter fault causing the issue.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

No problem Donny, you have a great day too 🙂

Chris

Message 12 of 16

Thanks again Chris. Made my day. Have been having these issues for a month now and back and forth on the tech line. Your help is very much appreciated and I might add very quickly responded to. Have a great day Take care and be safe.

Donny

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Donny
Philosopher
Message 14 of 16

Hi Chris,

Thank you for that. Is it an ADSL router as I dont have fibre, and is it free of charge??

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 16

Hi Donny,

I've ordered a replacement router, it should be with you within a couple of working days

Chris