Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Need some advise on connection

9 REPLIES 9
Markb21
Chatterbox

Firstly, So called talk talk technical chat helper's are utterly useless and frustrating, secondly i've always been able to get hold of somebody on the damn phone, not talk talk, always busy!!

Right, I work from home, need a stable and decent connection as i download and upload most of the day. last 3 weeks have actually seen me age slightly due to the connection issues haha

A few stats.

I'm 444 meters away from the MAIN Amman Valley Exchange

talk talk is uses there own equipment in the exchange so its never simple to problem solve

talk talk router is showing i'm connected and receiving 44Mb/s and 11Mb/s upload

always had stable and dependable connection, drops at peak times which is to be expected but never below 25Mb/s

currently, talk talk website says im connected and no problems are detected, secondly the talk talk router says im receiving 44000kbs with good noise etc

so why is it that im only getting 5mbs download, wired or wireless? and yes ive tried multiple speedtest websites including talk talks own.

despite my best efforts, i was told that there was no problem with the line and that 5mbs was within acceptable limits (yes i was really told that) and that an in depth line test was to be carried out and id have a call back with the results, yet here i am, still waiting for the results of the supposed line test (which all they do is disconnect from exchange end and reconnect) 

i assumed i had been put into a banded profile as i had a few connection drops, and maybe the DLM would need to reset and get profile again, but its been connected since i did a complete reset over 2 weeks ago and nothings changed

am i being fobbed off here? i used to work for a telecommunications company so ive got a good idea what goes on,  it seems like somebody in the exchange has chucked a card in and throttled my line

is there anybody out there who has had similar problems? 

thanks in advance and sorry the long post, i did write another before this but its not showing up anwhere

KeithFrench
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Markb21
Chatterbox
Thankyou very much, appreciate it
Community Team

Hi Markb21,

I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault. Just to confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone? Does your master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

martswain
Philosopher

You are NOT connected to the exchange on fibre !

TT does not have it's own fibre infrastructure, except in York.

Your connection is to the nearest BT Openreach fibre cabinet, they provide the service for TT.

Martin
Markb21
Chatterbox

Thanks for that, i currently dont have house phone as i either use mobile or skype so unable to test for noise, ill stop on my way home today and grab a corded phone to test.

Yes my master socket does have a test socket

thanks

mark

Highlighted
Markb21
Chatterbox
Hi

I never said i was connected to the exhange on fibre, i was merely pointing out how close i was to the main exchange.
TT is an LLU Company, and i was told by an openreach engineer that they have there own equipment in the exchange because they are an LLU? obviously i was misinformed
Community Team

Hi Mark,

A test is picking up an issue on the copper side of the circuit, so the line from cabinet to your property (including socket), so a test of the line at the test socket would help to rule out any issues internally.

Thanks

Karl. 

Markb21
Chatterbox

thanks @OCE_Karl  & @OCE_Michelle 

there is no visual problems i could find but thats not saying there is a problem, im going to pick up a corded phone on my way home later today. Ill update with the findings

Community Team

No Problem 🙂

We'll be here when you need us.

Karl