would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New DSL -3782 router ?!?!

79 REPLIES
Highlighted
Thatchaman
Conversation Starter

TT were as good as their word, new router came today, unfortunately even plugged direct into Master Socket without phone service it could not find TT or the server  on the Speedtest.

Strong wifi signal , No external signal.

No websites were possible to log onto. 

Refitted the Netgear router same position  and I am able to type this.

Got a good signal on the Netgear router around noon, was able to upload and download files off emails.

Last night wife was able to watch Netflicks for only a minute  at a time before loosing signal, her device the only one in use.

So perhaps its something external to my property requiring a BT repairman. Phone works ok 

TT please advise or call after 2100.

Community Team

Hi

I'm showing an issue on the authentication side of things.  I've raised this to our network teams asking if they can rebuild the radius entry and when done, we can try the connection again.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Community Team

Hi

Radius has been rebuilt and I'm now showing authentication on your line.

Test now and let me know if you are connected.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Thatchaman
Conversation Starter

Karl,

Just as I finished with TT South Africa, the internet light started to flash on green (that was a first) with the new router. 

Sped Test results at 13.19

Server: CCleaner- Slough

D/L - 7.87

U/L - 0.03

Ping: 27ms  

Jitter: 5 ms.

It does look as if the signal is increasing, so I will monitor from time to time .

One question I did ask SA, but they couldn't answer was:

What is the largest attatchment I am able to send by email with  this set up, as recently  I sent several MB size images and the signal failed (this was just prior to the signal troubles). 

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi

You can usually send files about 10mb via email, but email was never initially designed for sending large attachements. 

I always find it best to store files or images etc online vie Google drive or Microsoft onedrive as these are free services.  I then just share the document and email a link to a contact and they can then view the image online or download it as required.

Thanks

Karl. 

Thatchaman
Conversation Starter

Now that the Internet seems back to normal subject to Skype and Netflick testing by the wife, do you need me to send back 11 a  year old  Netgear Router or shall I just drop it off at my local recycling centre. 

The download speed has not reached 10Mbs yet but it is much better.

We will keep the appointment from Bright Spark for the moment to make sure everything behaves into next week. 

Thank you for your help.  would suggest you change your 0345 number to 0800 number, not everybody usesTalk Talk for their landline and there is more chance of the Internet Service failing than landline, apart from which it would be academic if the landline had failed as well.

Why do we have to speak to a call centre in South Africa or the Philipines, with the attendant language/speech clarity problems, from the UK?

Thank you for your help.

Community Team

Hi

No need to send the router back.

I know accents can be difficult sometimes when calling in, but it's a 2 way street.  We have accents as well.  I'm from Liverpool and this can be a strong accent to understand sometimes.  Was on the phone yesterday to British gas.  Call centre in Scotland and had to ask the guy to repeat himself a couple of times.  Also kept sounding like he was calling me carol.  So you can see, you can still struggle with a UK based centre :)

We do have a great Live Chat service and I always find this easier to use and easier to get the point across in text.

Regards,

Karl. 

Thatchaman
Conversation Starter

Since Thursday 5/4/18  when the new router started to work its been ok. The speedtest readings have not reached 10 yet as the African chap said they could, normally 5- 7Bps. On  8/4  wife made a Skype call for about 45 mins and the Audio and Video reception was sharp, except when I sent an email, but that was only for less than a minute until it cleared.

Last night  9/4/18  at 2130 we lost the internet completely, there is no problem with the WiFi signal, just the Internet signal. I did the usual turn off/on , press reset and  by 2200 we had a signal back.

It had been raining all day yesterday, so did some water get into the gubbins at some point or was TT trying to tweak it.

This afternoon received an automated call to say BrightSpark were coming Thursday, well I hope he is a bit of a brightspark. I have been with AOL since 2000 and had a router since 2005 and had more trouble in the last 10 days than 17 years ( though not as much as some I have read on the forum).

Community Team

Hi Thatchaman

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how you get on following the engineer visit.

Debbie

Thatchaman
Conversation Starter

Brightspark came and tested the Master Socket and house cabling and found everything in good order, tested the phone  line and found a clear line with no interference. Replaced Master Socket  and carried out a speed test which gave over 10 Mbs and a good signal to noise ratio.

Whilst he was writing up his report I thought I would do my own speed test, but had no Internet signal at all, even the red light was black. It has since come back up, but with only a speed of 7.58/0.06.  So there seems to be an intermittent external system fault somewhere  that keeps dropping the signal, which is where we started  2 weeks ago.

As the connections on the master socket showed slight blackening, then perhaps the BT box on the external wall could be similar causing a resistance and needs looking at by BT plus the connections in the street box apertaining to my line. I am sure recent damp weather is not helping.

I will say the young chap from Brightspark was very courteous and informative of what he was doing and why, explaining what was happening and was prepaired to listen to what had happened in the past. He worked cleanly and even put shoe covers on.

I look forward to the problem of the signal dropping out resolving.

• The ball is back in your court Talk Talk.

Community Team

Hi Thatchaman

Did the BrightSparks engineer advise that a BT Openreach engineer visit is now required?

Thanks

Debbie

Thatchaman
Conversation Starter

Debbie,

Its been a roller coaster ride with the internet signal. See screenshot attached of the Speedtest it would seem to be getting better now the Master Socket has been changed.

The chap from Brightspark said he was leaving  the job open as it had gone down whilst he was there and said the fault was a system fault, not a house fault, so it was up to TT to ask BT to look at their system. If we can maintain this speed without the signal dropping then we will be happy.

As tax time is coming you don't want to be half way through it and  loose the signal. 

As the external box was installed in 1983 as well and there are similar connections suffering from the blackening which adds resistance to the connection causing a slower signal  so perhaps BT can visit and look at that. What causes the dropping signal I cannot guess, but some connection not making occassionally due to vibration breaking the contact or a drip of water or a component that trips under certain conditions and resets itself in a streetbox.

I have a neighbour across the road on TT and he is experiencing the same problems, so it could be something common to a TT connection.

Neighbours either side of me with different ISP's have not experienced any problems, one of them on BT is a gamer and he would soon notice.

I will see if I can canvas the street for more TT customers  to see if they are experiencing problems.

Community Team

Hi Thatchaman

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you monitor the connection over the weekend to see how it compares.

Your line is currently showing in sync for just over 6 hours at 13.4mb.

If you are still experiencing this fault then I will escalate this over to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Thatchaman
Conversation Starter

Thanks Debbie for keeping on top of the problem.

Yes I was thinking along the same lines, giving it a chance and see what happens over the weekend.

At least it is improving. 

Community Team

Hi Thatchaman

No problem :-)

Please post back on this thread on Monday morning and I can check the connection stats again.

Thanks

Debbie

Thatchaman
Conversation Starter

After about 10 days with good service came in tonight at 9pm to find the internet down. After turning it off /on and resetting, it came on 10 minutes afterwards with a speed of 9.35/0.27.

Not sure how long it was down, but last email received was 7.26 pm.

Seems ok now.

Community Team

Hi Thatchaman

Apologies for this.

I can see a couple of re connections on 02/05, there were a high number of errors also showing on the line. Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Thatchaman
Conversation Starter

The router is connected to the test socket on its own dedicated line and the Brightspark chap said  it was fine. As mentioned previously I would suggest BT look at the external box to the house as that could well be causing problems with environmental build up, as the internal system is fine as per Brightspark, now a new master socket was fitted. 

Community Team

Hi Thatchaman

Have you also tested with a different router, cable and micro filter?

Once we have confirmed this then we can raise the intermittent connection fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Thatchaman
Conversation Starter

The microfilter is new as supplied with the router, the cable is well protected and doesn't move or get touched, in fact we were out at the time when the system went down. The only router I have is the old Netgear one which I tried following one of your calls and was dead then as it would require some work at your end to connect a different type up.

Brightspark inspected and tested the house internet wiring and could not find any faults. If the filter or a cable   had gone down it would not be intermittent.