Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router + Line Upgrade

Davidr1ck
Participant
Message 22 of 22

Hello,

Some weeks ago I received a new router from TalkTalk (a DG8041W), that i was told i must connect immediately. Upon connecting to my computer it connects to the broadband fine at the usual speed of my old router and everything seems fine when i log in to the router's control panel, however, my PC does not have access to the internet.

The router is detecting that my PC is connected to it, and the router is definitely connected to the broadband.

I also received an email from TalkTalk telling me that my line is being upgraded to Fibre (tomorrow) and i must use this router or lose internet connectivity.

Perhaps, hopefully, i have missed doing something obvious, but i precisely followed the instructions on the box that the router arrived in and am left without internet when i use it.

I am currently using my old router (a non-TalkTalk router, left over from my Pipex days).

Some help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 1 of 22

Yeah, I think all was good for me because I initiated the request to upgrade. But these upgrades that are being done to move people from ADSL to Fibre without them asking for it have not been brilliantly handled, people are not really being told why they are being sent a new router, and as you say, the instructions really only work for people that are currently on TalkTalk ADSL, not one of the old legacy ADSL services that require username/password authentication.

0 Likes

stevesurrey
Insightful One
Message 2 of 22

That obviously worked out OK for you @Skynet_TX but all the instructions TT issue, and text messages I got from Openreach too, implore you to install the new router ahead of the fibre upgrade. And clearly for some customers the new router is not simply 'plug and play'whilst still on ADSL which TT should be all too aware of.

Eureka! Pipex mailboxes have migrated!
0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 3 of 22

Yep, that all makes sense, I know the old router I had with Pipex had my own specific Pipex credentials in it. I upgraded to TalkTalk Fibre many years ago, they sent me a new router, but I didn't connect that router until I got home on my go live day, and that obviously worked fine as I was already then on Fibre before I connected that new router.

0 Likes

stevesurrey
Insightful One
Message 4 of 22

Today I found this explanation from TalkTalk Support in another thread where the customer was experiencing the same loss of internet with a new router whilst still on ADSL

"most lines use network level authentication so the username and password combo is ignored in the router. 

This customers line however is one of the few left that is set to password authentication, and from the authentication logs here, when the correct username is entered, authentication passes, when the username is showing as warehouse01, then this is being rejected."

I am assuming the lines left using password authentication are legacy accounts like Pipex as that seems to be a common theme.

Hope your fibre upgrade all went OK.

Message 5 of 22

Hello,

Yes, i remembered my ~20 year old password perfectly, but it took a minute of thinking about it to remember that the package i used to have was @xtreme.pipex.net (rather than just pipex.net), and it did the trick immediately.

Thank you very much for your help, both of you.

stevesurrey
Insightful One
Message 6 of 22

They will be in the setup pages someplace. Seek and ye shall find!

I assume you still know your original pipex username/password for internet access.

Message 7 of 22

Ah, interesting. I've had no contact with Openreach at all (i don't own a mobile phone so they can't text me), but i'll have to give the router another try, i suppose. Perhaps a fresh look for the password options will yield results.

Thanks a lot for your help.

0 Likes

stevesurrey
Insightful One
Message 8 of 22

If its anything like my upgrade process you will have had some text messages from Openreach already confirming date etc. One of them will remind you to plug in the new router before they commence the upgrade process as they need it plugged in to be able to check the connection is OK. So if you do that your internet access should be restored once the engineer has done his stuff. You will probably spot when hes working on your line as some red lights will appear on the router until the new connection is made. Process seemed to take about 15-20 minutes for me. Hope it all goes smoothly.

Message 9 of 22

Hello,

Funnily enough, i was reading your thread earlier. I couldn't find a similar place to alter the password since our new routers are different models (not even sure that i remember it, the router i use at the moment never needed it..) so i wasn't sure if it was the same issue.

Hopefully plugging in the new router tomorrow after they've done whatever it is that they're doing will work, otherwise, i'll probably have to give them a ring.

0 Likes

stevesurrey
Insightful One
Message 10 of 22

Hi @Davidr1ck 

As @Skynet_TX  has suggested I think the issue relates to being a former Pipex customer, like I was.

When I received my new router in advance of the upgrade to Fibre35 I too lost internet access.

After much faffing around and help on this forum from Debbie we identified it was a network authentication issue. With Pipex accounts access was granted using a username/password whereas TalkTalk use network authentication or something. the remedy was to change the default/generic login username password for internet access in the routers setup to your own Pipex ones. That immediately restored my internet access. Note this is only required while connected via ADSL as once VDSL goes live it becomes irrelevant,  See my thread here (Message 21 onwards) Surprised-To-Be-Sent-New-Router 

Message 11 of 22

Hello,

Yes, the email told me (and my account page is telling me) that they're upgrading me to Fibre 35 (unsolicited), so hopefully that's what's going on.

Thanks very much for your help.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 12 of 22

Ok, I'm assuming that when you move to Fibre that means you will move to a 'pure' TalkTalk package (probably Fibre 35 or Fibre 65), so it may be that once that happens the new router will then work, but the staff here should be able to check and let you know.

Message 13 of 22

Hello,

I don't remember ever ordering a new broadband package with TalkTalk, but i've had this connection so long it's hard to know for sure.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 14 of 22

Have you actually transferred to a TalkTalk package since they took over Pipex, or are you just still on the same ADSL connection you were with Pipex ?

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 15 of 22

Yeah, a solid white LED would generally indicate that the router thinks it is logged into the TalkTalk network, if it is having trouble authenticating the LED would be solid amber. It is possible the old Pipex config could be causing issues here, i.e. the default settings of your new router are designed to log into the 'pure' TalkTalk network, but your account may still have some old legacy settings in it that mean it would need some different settings to actually get internet access. I'm just guessing here, but I have seen that issue before. Either that, or it could just be a duff router !

Staff here will be able to help more tomorrow.

Do be aware that if your old router doesn't support Fibre then it will stop working when your line is switched to Fibre (a router needs to support VDSL to work on Fibre).

Message 16 of 22

Hello, 

Yes, the router has a solid blue-white light and all indications are that it is connected to the exchange (i'm not convinced it has logged into the TalkTalk network, however, given that last screenshot that i posted).

Thanks very much for your reply.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 17 of 22

I'm assuming you have a solid white LED showing on the router ?

You could try the factory reset if you like, just to see if that helps.

I notice you say you were an ex Pipex customer (as was I). A few customers who came from the old legacy ISPs have had issues with the config of new routers, however if you are getting a solid white LED then that would indicate the router thinks it has connected successfully and logged into the TalkTalk network.

Staff here should be able to pick this up tomorrow to investigate further.

Message 18 of 22

As an update, i have tried all four ethernet ports on the back of the new router with identical results. The router itself connects and establishes a stable connection to the exchange, and my PC is able to connect to the router, however, i don't have access to the internet.

(edit: just to add, i have tried with two different ethernet cables.)

0 Likes

Message 19 of 22

Hello, thanks for the response.

I don't have any wifi capable devices, but i will try another port on the router tonight and post an update.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 20 of 22

Hi @Davidr1ck,

Do you have any wireless device that you could test with to see if it can access the internet (obviously after reenabling Wi-Fi), this would at least prove if there is just a problem with the ethernet connectivity on the router. Have you tried connecting your computer to a different Ethernet port on the router. You could also try a factory reset of the router by holding in the reset switch on the back for over 10 seconds.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow