cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New WiFi Hub Performance Very Poor Compared to Older Super Router - Have Changed Back

35 REPLIES 35
cgclassics
Wizz Kid

After much effort, I finally got a wifi hub sent to me.  Initially it set up OK and whilst my old D-Link Super Router was reporting 24Mb download, the new wifi hub was showing 19Mb.  OK we need to wait a bit for DLM to sort itself out.  However, the latency time for accessing websites is terrible.  Using the router direct into the master socket, no extensions and wired connection to my PC over ethernet.  I ran a couple of broadband speed checkers and got results from 0.4Mbps to 7Mbps but nothing like the 20Mbps I used to get with the older router.

So fortunately I managed stop the send back of the old router.  Have plugged that in and straight up to 19Mbps on broad band speed checker compared to less than half that on the Wifi Hub. No other changes, just unplugged one router and plugged the other one in.

So what's going on - do I have a bad Wifi Hub or is there some setting that is wrong in it?

Community Team

Hi cgclassics

How long has the Wifi Hub been connected to the line for?

Thanks

Debbie

cgclassics
Wizz Kid

over 3 days.  Was showing max 7Mbps on broadband speed check, but sync speed showing on the modem statistics was about 19Mbps.  Also had speed checks from different sites coming in at 0.7Mbps and 4Mbps.  Put the D-Link Super router back on and the speed tests are back to normal around 19Mbps and the huge wait time for websites to launch was fixed.  This is all with connect into master socket and direct wired ethernet to the PC, not wireless.

Community Team

Hi cgclassics,

I'm sorry to hear this. Could you try factory resetting the router and setting this up again please?

Thanks

cgclassics
Wizz Kid

Thanks but to be honest it should work out the box.  That's what the older D-Link Super Router did.  I'm regretting the upgrade and regretting signing up another 18month with TT just to get this router.

Community Team

Hi cgclassics,

Ok. Could I just confirm, did you set it up with all the new cables that came with this router? Do you know what version of firmware is currently on the wifi hub? Is the Dlink router still connected at the moment?

Thanks

cgclassics
Wizz Kid

Hi - I have just factory reset the unit as requested and swapped it back so now I am back on the new WiFi Hub.  Yes it is definitely using the new cables that came with the unit.

The unit is in standard mode except that I have changed the WiFi name and password on both 2.4 and 5Ghz, and I have to set the IP address to 192.168.0.2 and run it on the "0" subnet as I have other items on that that it will not otherwise talk to and I cannot change them to the "1" subnet, (I have something else set to 192.168.0.1).  To do this I change the IP address under DHCP and also under the DNS tabs in the router set up.  Nothing else changed and I can't see any of this affecting performance.  These changes I also needed to make on the D-Link Super Router and it coped fine.  At the moment it is running OK on speed checks showing about 18Mbps - a bit slower than the Super Router, but better than this morning.  When I set it up last week this was also the situation - a tad slower than the Super Router but OK, then it got worse until this morning it was unuseable until I reconnected the D-Link back up then all fine.

cgclassics
Wizz Kid

Just to confirm also it is SG4K10001400t firmware so I'm not sure that it is the latest version.  Can you upgrade from your end?

Community Team
cgclassics
Wizz Kid

Thanks Karl - confirmed that 2600t is installed now.  Speed is awful - speed checkers on my wired connection showing 1.5Mbps - 10Mbps.  At the moment we are at the 1.5Mbps and very high latencies.  Sync speed on the router is showing 19.5Mbps.  Think we still have the same problem.  I will reboot the router now to give it an on-off cycle again with the new firmware.  Otherwise it's back to the old D-Link one, because I can't work with this new router.

cgclassics
Wizz Kid

Nope - no improvement.  having on-off cycled the router with the new firmware, the speed initially was OK at 18Mb on a speed checker on my direct wired device.  Then as before all of a sudden it drops to virtually nothing.  now down to 0.4Mbps.  Just putting the old D-Link Super Router back on as I can't work with the new WiFi Hub.  What do you propose - I just renewed my contract to get one of these new routers, but it's unuseable.

ferguson
Community Star

Can I just ask why you felt the need to "upgrade" your router when your old one seems to be working perfectly well? I have a suspicion that the new Hub is likely to work better on a fibre connection, but that's just a personal opinion.

cgclassics
Wizz Kid

Sure - the promise of improved wifi coverage in the house compared to the old router as we have a large house.  It's in another thread and a long story but I was using a third party router for several years Archer VR900 without problems, but recently had been getting lots of disconnects, but line tested OK.  Agreed with the OCEs to try a TT router they sent me previously which I had never used - this was the DLink Super Router.  It worked fine and fixed the recent issues with the third party router, but the wifi signal was not as good.  OCEs recommended trying a WiFi Hub.  Spent literally hours with various facets of TT trying to get one.  In the end agreed to renew my contract early to get the new router.  Plug it in and now problems with internet download and upload speeds.  Go back to the D-Link and all is immediately OK.  It's just that the WiFI Hub was meant to be better coverage in the house.  I will probably end up buying WAPs but I thought it worth trying the new router.  The Wifi signal with it is definitely better, just it doesn't work very well on internet access speed on my direct wired connection.  It's all over the place - one minute 18Mbps then 0.4 Mbps - so basically unusable.  EIther it's faulty or it doesn't like the equipment I have (SkyQ direct ethernet wired).

ferguson
Community Star

Cool, thanks for taking the trouble to explain that, it is informative to learn what's behind it all. 

Community Team

Hi cgclassics,

Thanks for testing this. Would you like us to send a replacement wifi hub for testing purposes to rule out any issues with the current router?

Thanks

cgclassics
Wizz Kid

Yes please do.

Are there any known issues with using SkyQ and the WiFi Hub. That's the only thing I can think of.

Community Team

Hi

Replacement Hub sent for testing.

There are no issues as such with SkyQ and the Hub, but I am aware of an issue with SkyQ and possible channel switching.

let me know when the router arrives and is in place and I'll see if I can make a change from here.

Thanks

Karl. 

cgclassics
Wizz Kid

Dear OCEs / Karl,

I have received the new wifi hub router.  It is immediately syncing faster than the suspected faulty version and I'm getting faster download speeds on web speed checkers with the direct wired connection.

Could you push me across the 2600t firmware as I have to have 1 fixed IP address and I don't think you can do that with 1400t. Also Karl referred to a possible issue with SkyQ channel switching and that something could also be pushed through from your end on this to ensure there is no problem. THanks

Community Team

Hi

Firmware update in progress.  also I've made a change here to see if htis helps with the Sky Q issue you had.  Test and let e know.

Regards,

Karl. 

cgclassics
Wizz Kid

Karl - thanks - 2600t installed.  So I now need to change the hub IP address to 192.168.0.1 and the DHCP range accordingly as the home security system needs me to be on the "0" IP range not "1".  So on the previous wifi hub I could just go into the advanced settings and set DHCP accordingly and then go into DNS and change there to "0".  This new hub is different. I cannot change the hub IP address to 192.168.0.1 as it keeps telling me that this address is invalid.  I can change it on the DNS tab but not on the DHCP tab.  How can we get it moved onto the "0" subnet so the security cameras will work?  Can't understand why this hub won't allow it but the previous one would.  The old super router also allowed it.