Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wifi on laptop

Isising99
Popular Poster
Message 20 of 20

Hello all, I have a problem with a desk-top & a Toshiba Satellite laptop. My sister & her family were visiting from Canada over xmas. Her eldest son’s laptop died so being the idiot I am loaned him my Laptop, big mistake. I think he overheard me saying I need to change my password on my router page. He went into my talk talk router page & changed the password (I know this because his mother told me when she phoned to say they were back home safely) I have no internet connection or wifi on the laptop, but I’m using my desktop to go online. Going into the router page myself I can see the new password in the router page. My question to you guys is what can I do to get my laptop back up & running. At the same time guys I’m not computer literate so if you can keep it idiot proof I would be most obliged.

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20
0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Hi guys due to circumstances I’m going to leave off things for a while. I don’t like to just disappear when you guys are trying to help someone who’s clueless, but thanks for all your input.

IS

0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

Hi

If you look in the device manager then under network settings, can you see the manufacturer name of the wifi adapter in the laptop.

A while back I came across an issue with some laptops with Atheros adapters.  Not sure if this is the case here, but the issue was, that the device drivers were not updated by windows and the solution was to manually download the drivers from a manufacturers website.

Always worth checking the actual device name and looking to see if there are up to date drivers available from the manufacturer of the device.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 4 of 20

Hi guys, Debbie sorry about delay a mixture of illness & the weather. I have re-installed windows & yes i have a Wireless Network Connection & its showing TalkTalk------ & when i click on it, it shows Connect in one box & Connect automatically in the other. When i click Connect it says Connecting to TalkTalk------. After about 30 seconds it tells me "Windows was unable to connect to TalkTalk------". 

Thanks again

0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Hi Isising99

Have you tried forgetting the wireless network in the wireless settings (on the laptop)

Does the laptop detect the wireless connection/router?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 6 of 20

Hi Debbie, thanks for coming back to me. Yes i could do with someone to talk me thru getting laptop's wifi back on line. I was a bit confused with Gondolas last reply but if you can help i would be very grateful. I have my desktop connected with Ethernet & have other Ethernet cables if required. Thanking you.  

0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Hi Isising99

Apologies for the delay.

Do you still need help with this?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 8 of 20

Hi gondola, I’m a bit confused. Leave the Ethernet cable connected to the router for your desktop to stay connected to the router and the Internet. You can use this desktop Ethernet connection to set up your router”. Have I to leave desktop Ethernet cable in router & the other end into laptop?? Will it then be a matter of setting up router for the first time?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

Leave the Ethernet cable connected to the router for your desktop to stay connected to the router and the Internet. You can use this desktop Ethernet connection to set up your router.

Connecting the laptop via Ethernet cable to the router will get the laptop connected but it will, by default, disable the Wi-Fi wireless connection from the laptop to the router.

The advice about not using a Windows 7 device online remains the same whether connected by Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 10 of 20

Hi Gondola, thanks again for getting back to me. You will be thankful that i may have to be away for a couple of days, but another question, my desktop is using a ethernet cable. Do i remove this cable & follow your instructions or can it be left in/on? 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Use an Ethernet cable to connect to the router and you'll be able to sign in to the router's user interface to set the router up.

Set up your Super Router 

Here's a Windows7 advice article (courtesy tp-link) with pictures to remove a Wi-Fi network profile to allow the reconnection to your router Wi-Fi network name with the network key (Wi-Fi password).

Windows 7 remove wireless profile and reconnect to router Wi-Fi network

However, I would not use Windows 7 online because Microsoft support ended in 2015 and extended security support ceased 6 days ago. Any risk in going online is your decision.

Message 12 of 20

Hi martswain, thanks for coming back. There’s nobody about that I can ask for any help at this time.

There are no yellow or red exclamation marks on any devices.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

Hi Gondola,

“I'll assume that when you say your Wi-Fi network is TALKTALK it's actually TALKTALK followed by 6 letters and numbers that are unique to your router”.

Yes it is a Talktalk router; I didn’t won’t to add the letters & No’s because of the reason you described.

I have a problem with the second step in your reply. “Select Settings (Cog icon).

I should have stated in my first post that I’m using Windows 7. Yes I know 7 finishes today but I’ll stick with it to resolve this problem.

If I were to use a Ethernet cable will that kick start anything?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

If your desktop is connecting via WiFi without any problems then the laptop issue could well be with the network adapter.

Have you tried connecting to another WiFi network at a friend's house or public access point ?

Red crosses anywhere often indicate an issue with the device or the driver.

If you open Device Manager are there any red or yellow exclamation marks showing against any devices ?

Even if those do not show, if possible connect the laptop to your router using a LAN cable and go to the Toshiba support website and update your wireless adapter drivers.

Also, a search on your desktop for "WiFi issues with Toshiba XXX after Windows updates" could provide more clues.

That may identify a certain update that has caused problems and you could remove that or use System Restore to go back to a time you know that everything was working.

Message 15 of 20

Hi Isising99 

I'll assume that when you say your Wi-Fi network is TALKTALK it's actually TALKTALK followed by 6 letters and numbers that are unique to your router.

What I'm going to ask you to do now is to go through the steps for Windows to forget that network so you sign on to the Wi-Fi network with the correct password or network security key.

• Select Windows Start icon (bottom left of your laptop screen)
  • Select Settings (Cog icon)
  • Network & Internet
  • WiFi
  • Select Manage known network
  • Select the TALKTALK network (both entries)
  • Select Forget
  • Go back to select the Wi-Fi or World icon from the taskbar
  • Select the TALKTALK network
  • Enter the Wi-Fi password in the enter network security key box
  • Select Next

If you have previously factory reset the router then the Wi-Fi password should get you connected.

Message 16 of 20

Hi Gondola thanks for coming back to me.      

Do you see on the Laptop taskbar the Wi-Fi / Wireless Networks icon bottom right of your laptop screen?

Yes I see it & its telling me that “connections are available”. When I click Talktalk its asking me to “connect” but when I click “connect” it tells me “Windows was unable to connect to Talktalk” When I click “Troubleshoot problems” Windows Network Diagnostics it shows “Investigate router or access point issues”. It then says “If your connected to a hotspot or domain network, contact the network administrator”. Otherwise:

1. Unplug or turn off the devise.
  2. After all the lights on the device are off, wait 10 seconds.
  3. Turn the device back on or plug it back into the power outlet.        

I have a box which says, “Check to see if the problem is fixed” when I click to see if the problem is fixed it tells me “Windows cannot resolve your wireless connectivity issue”. Clicking the “next” button, it tells me Troubleshooting has completed. Problems found, “Problem with wireless adapter or access point” and that takes me back into my second post “change adapter settings” etc…..

0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Hi Isising99 

Back to the basics.

Do you see on the Laptop taskbar the Wi-Fi / Wireless Networks icon bottom right of your laptop screen?

Wireless Networks Available

And when you select the Wi-Fi / Wireless Networks icon do you see your TalkTalk router's Wireless Network listed?

Reminder: Your router's Wi-Fi / Wireless Network Name and Password are on the label or card at the back of the router.

If you see your router's Wireless Network Name then select the Connect button and enter the Password.

Message 18 of 20

Hi guys apologies not getting back to you sooner. Going into Talktalk wireless network connection & clicking on Talktalk connect it takes me to connect to a network clicking on troubleshoot problems it takes me to windows network diagnostics which tells me windows cannot resolve your wireless connectivity issue it then tells me problem with wireless adapter or access point. In network & sharing center clicking on change adapter settings I have five network connections showing? The two that do not have a red cross against them are, Broadband connection, disconnected, WAN Miniport (pppoe). The second is Wireless Network Connection, Attempting to authenticate Intel® Dual Wireless C72 Hope there is someone who can take me onto the next stage.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 19 of 20

Hi @Isising99 

If you know your router Wi-Fi network name (or SSID) and Wi-Fi password (or key) then you can select the bottom link to connect your laptop to your Wi-Fi network. Otherwise follow all three help notes.

Reset your router to default settings (click here).

Change your router Wi-Fi network name (click here).

Windows 10 connect to your router Wi-Fi network (click here).