Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Poor Broadband speed

50 REPLIES 50
Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

I was rather shocked when I ran several Ookla tests on my smartphone just a few feet away from my router. 

Not making it to anything like 11mbs. 

This is Fast Broadband, and, before the invention of Fibre, I used to regularly get readings of 14mbs plus. That was YEARS ago.

There's definitely been a general drop in speed since the other technology came on the market. 

Current readings are between < 8mbs to <9.5mbs.

Gliwmaeden2
KeithFrench
Community Star

Wireless speed tests are not the figure that is guaranteed, that is the downstream line rate on your router.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi Gliwmaeden2,

Current sync speed is 11.2Mbps. 

How many telephone sockets do you have?

Do you have any other devices connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Does your master socket have a Test Socket?

Thanks
Chris

Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

This is the summary I got just now, at my PC using ETHERNET.

I have one phone downstairs and one phone upstairs.

There is one unused phone socket also in the kitchen, so nothing plugged in there.

Clicking on the TEST SOCKET LINK takes me to an Oops.... message, but anyway I have the original BT master socket in the house [from 1987] and I am unable to open it as it is so tightly screwed shut.

ADSL (Sync) Summary
System uptime:

337:41:24
Modem ADSL (Sync) uptime:

337:38:45
Interleaving:

On
ADSL mode:

ADSL2+
ADSL settings:

PVC:0/38
ADSL line speed (kbps):

up

down

Line attentuation (dB):

up

down

SN margin (dB):

up

down

Total errors seconds:

Red - Error
Green - Connected and ready

Gliwmaeden2
Community Team

Hi Gliwmaeden2,

Thanks for the update. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault so I've optimised the connection and the sync speed has increased slightly. Could you retest and let us know if there is any improvement in speed please?

Thanks

Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

Thanks  - can you keep what you changed it to for the next two or three days and then I will report back when I've checked things at the desktop?

Somebody tried to break into my car on Sunday and I am having to deal with insurance and arrangements for glass repairs on top of everything else.....will just take me a bit time to get to the plugged in computer. 

Many thanks for your help, 

Gliwmaeden2 

Gliwmaeden2
Community Team

Hi Gliwmaeden2,

Sorry to hear about your car

DLM is an automated process, so unfortunately we can't fix it to a specific profile, but please let us know how you get on

Chris

Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

I've not had time to get to the computer but on my smartphone from downstairs (router is upstairs,  so much farther than where I was when I first tested the other day) I got  a download speed of 10.3, which is much more like readings I'd get in the recent past. That is noticeably better than c 9.3. 

However it then dropped to below 8 on the smartphone.  The worst the other day was c 4. I'll check back when I am wired in again!

Gliwmaeden2
Community Team

Hi Gliwmaeden2,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the speed compares over the next couple of days.

Thanks

Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

Speed looks better. I'll send another reading when I have time to leave the PC on for longer, as it has been off for several days...………..

ADSL (Sync) Summary
System uptime:

476:23:54

116:45:29
Interleaving:

On
ADSL mode:

ADSL2+
ADSL settings:

ADSL line speed (kbps):

up

down

Line attentuation (dB):

up

down

SN margin (dB):

up

down

Total errors seconds:

Gliwmaeden2

Amazed nobody has mentioned WiFi congestion?  As one of the other posters mentioned, a WiFi speedtest is location dependent and has so many variables.  The key is your router sync speed which seem at the level you talked about, which suggests the issues you have are linked to WiFi.

Do all the checks suggested hard wired into your router and check your router stats at the same time, then you can start to rule in or out the following: your b/band speed, ethernet cable damage, Wifi issues etc etc

I am not employed by TalkTalk, just a customer. If my post has helped or fixed fixed the issue, please like or mark it as the Best Answer.
Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

@email vanished again, that is precisely what these ADSL stats are: they are at my wired, plugged in desktop PC and nothing to do with Wi-Fi readings. 

When I have a longer stretch at the PC I may be able to post several sets of statistics over a few hours. I am afraid your comments were not particularly helpful. Please leave this thread for myself and the OCEs to attend to.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Team

Hi Gliwmaeden2,

How have you found the speeds since your last post?

Thanks

Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

@OCE_Michelle , it seemed very slow booting up today but was needing a Norton Antivirus update and a Windows update.

Life has interrupted me following this up - the family is in a panic as my mum's signed over £ thousands to a scammer and we are all in a total tizz.

I  am also having to move stuff around for a decorator doing all the rooms in the house so at some point in the next few days the whole thing will be unplugged. 

Not the best time for me checking the issue, but I  think it was worth mentioning. 

My computer is 81/2 years old, so maybe can't cope?

Gliwmaeden2
Community Team

Hi Gliwmaeden2,

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Do you have any other devices that you could test the connection and speed on or just the PC?

Thanks

Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

Smartphone wifi gave line speed: up 963 down, 12284

Line atten" up 15.6

Gliwmaeden2
Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

Line attend down 32

Sn margin up 7.6 down 6

Gliwmaeden2
Community Team

Hi Gliwmaeden2,

Thanks. Just to confirm, what are the current speeds at the PC?

Thanks

Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

No idea. Must dash to the bank to show details of Power of Attorney re my mum's fiasco. May  be using the computer later on again today. Too many crises at once but I'll get back asap.

Gliwmaeden2
Gliwmaeden2
Enlightened One

Current stats at the desktop PC:

ADSL (Sync) Summary
System uptime:

576:11:06

216:32:31
Interleaving:

On
ADSL mode:

ADSL2+
ADSL settings:

ADSL line speed (kbps):

up

down

Line attentuation (dB):

up

down

SN margin (dB):

up

down

Total errors seconds:

My router is an elderly HG533. Despite multiple renewals of contract over the years, I have not been sent a more up to date router. Do you think a new one might help?

Gliwmaeden2